The Stax Thread III
Oct 5, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #10,171 of 25,685

I did a search in FS. So far this year only, I've seen 4? Still very expensive, about 5K used? I'm saving up for a Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon.

There are many builders that you can commission to build you a KGSSHV Carbon.  I know a couple peopole in Canada, one in Australia, and another in the USA.  So it doesn't hurt to look or ask around.  With a custom builder, you can use high-end resistors, caps, power supply boards, and even exotic volume control.  Mjolnir Carbon should sound amazing with a class leading build quality but I feel strongly that other builders can provide similar quality builds as well.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #10,172 of 25,685
Hmm...let's see, delivery time for Aristaeus from Head-Amp is 2-4 weeks as showed on their website,bought it on Jul 25 2016 and have no idea when the amp will be delivered now it's almost 11 weeks from payment. Hah...

Aristaeus-1
HeadAmp Aristaeus
$3,999.00

Ships in 2-4 Weeks
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #10,173 of 25,685
There are many builders that you can commission to build you a KGSSHV Carbon.  I know a couple peopole in Canada, one in Australia, and another in the USA.  So it doesn't hurt to look or ask around.  With a custom builder, you can use high-end resistors, caps, power supply boards, and even exotic volume control.  Mjolnir Carbon should sound amazing with a class leading build quality but I feel strongly that other builders can provide similar quality builds as well.

So far I've seen other builds with very nice aesthetics. Birgirs builds are probably more focused on the performance rather than the looks. Having said that, can anyone share impressions from a Mjolnir Carbon?

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #10,174 of 25,685
So far I've seen other builds with very nice aesthetics. Birgirs builds are probably more focused on the performance rather than the looks. Having said that, can anyone share impressions from a Mjolnir Carbon?

My Mjolnir Carbon pairs greatly with SR-009. This is all I can say as I have no experience with other Stax amps.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #10,175 of 25,685
Hmm...let's see, delivery time for Aristaeus from Head-Amp is 2-4 weeks as showed on their website,bought it on Jul 25 2016 and have no idea when the amp will be delivered now it's almost 11 weeks from payment. Hah...

Aristaeus-1

HeadAmp Aristaeus

$3,999.00

Ships in 2-4 Weeks:bigsmile_face:
LOL, let us know how that goes for you. :p

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #10,176 of 25,685
My Mjolnir Carbon pairs greatly with SR-009. This is all I can say as I have no experience with other Stax amps.

Any issues with the treble? May I ask if you listen to lossless music primarily with your rig or regular redbook tunes?

I listen mostly to Spotify premium and metal tunes primarily so not sure if the 009 would be a good pairing. Would u say the Mjolnir Carbon has a warmish tonality ?

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #10,177 of 25,685

Any specific builders you would recommend in Canada? Mjolnir is just too expensive! Spritzer said the high pricing is due to the heavy import taxes in Iceland.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #10,178 of 25,685
Any issues with the treble? May I ask if you listen to lossless music primarily with your rig or regular redbook tunes?

I listen mostly to Spotify premium and metal tunes primarily so not sure if the 009 would be a good pairing. Would u say the Mjolnir Carbon has a warmish tonality ?

I have no treble issues with SR-009 and Mjolnir Carbon. I used Senn HD800 previously and SR-009 are nicer in the treble area. I listen to lossless music (Jriver vis ASAPI) plus online stuff (e.g. magnatune, youtube) via standard Win 10 drivers... Not sure I would describe the sound as warm. Really difficult to say ... and it depends on the whole setup. I would describe my setup with 009 rather as musical, detailed, pleasant...

My metal days are over, not sure about this particular genre and 009.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #10,179 of 25,685

I have no treble issues with SR-009 and Mjolnir Carbon. I used Senn HD800 previously and SR-009 are nicer in the treble area. I listen to lossless music (Jriver vis ASAPI) plus online stuff (e.g. magnatune, youtube) via standard Win 10 drivers... Not sure I would describe the sound as warm. Really difficult to say ... and it depends on the whole setup. I would describe my setup with 009 rather as musical, detailed, pleasant...

You have the Audio GD and other non oversampling DACs I believe? I think as long as the DAC used with the amp then the 009s is not a detail freak cold DS unit, or any DAC that has a treble emphasis as many do, then you should be fine. I estimate the 009s have a 3-4dB lift around 15K and up. That can be a bit ruthless.

Rossliew
Your DAC, look how you are feeding it, is it USB? Maybe you can clean up that? PM me if you want to chat about your DAC and tweaks.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #10,180 of 25,685

You have the Audio GD and other non oversampling DACs I believe? I think as long as the DAC used with the amp then the 009s is not a detail freak cold DS unit, or any DAC that has a treble emphasis as many do, then you should be fine. I estimate the 009s have a 3-4dB lift around 15K and up. That can be a bit ruthless.

Rossliew
Your DAC, look how you are feeding it, is it USB? Maybe you can clean up that? PM me if you want to chat about your DAC and tweaks.

My quote was related to this setup: PC (Win10, Jriver with wasapi or standard windows sound)>JCAT USB Femto card>USB>Intona USB Isolator>A-GD U8 (modified)>HDMI I2S> Audio-Gd Master 7 > MBL 5011 preamp > Mjolnir Carbon > SR009

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #10,181 of 25,685

Been listening to metal on the headphone/digital setup a lot recently (e.g. Iced Earth, Rage, Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Metallica). No problems on BHSE/Yggy/009 with good vintage EL34 tubes (stay away from Yggy USB input though). It's less fatiguing than any dynamic headphone setup I've heard, and sounds way better too. Dynamics tend get into trouble at higher SPL levels, distorting and causing fatigue. I also like metal on my 009/Carbon, but now like the BHSE better.

I wouldn't describe my Carbon as warm either, but it's not bright or aggravating. But once you get your BHSE tubes dialed in and give it hella warmup time (seriously, the damn thing takes a while to come around vs. other amps), I would say yes - it actually has a touch of warmth. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #10,182 of 25,685

I'm not technical enough to know the difference between the two Carbons  but Mjolnir's boards are not the same as the DIY group buy.  However, the DIY units often use better parts as well as better power supply (most will use GRLV & GRHV PSU).   I'm not  sure which will be better but PSU is always very import to the sound of the amp.  I strongly believe that DIY Carbon should be in a tight race to the Mjolnir's one.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #10,183 of 25,685
  Any specific builders you would recommend in Canada? Mjolnir is just too expensive! Spritzer said the high pricing is due to the heavy import taxes in Iceland.

You could get in touch with @georgep on here. If I'm not mistaken, he's Canadian,

Thanks for the feedback.

Rossliew

Thanks, Julian. I have the Audio Note DAC 4.1 kit but i wouldn't necessarily call it warm..and i only use SPDIF coax as input via a M2Tech Hiface 2 adapter.

Been listening to metal on the headphone/digital setup a lot recently (e.g. Iced Earth, Rage, Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Metallica). No problems on BHSE/Yggy/009 with good vintage EL34 tubes (stay away from Yggy USB input though). It's less fatiguing than any dynamic headphone setup I've heard, and sounds way better too. Dynamics tend get into trouble at higher SPL levels, distorting and causing fatigue. I also like metal on my 009/Carbon, but now like the BHSE better.

I wouldn't describe my Carbon as warm either, but it's not bright or aggravating. But once you get your BHSE tubes dialed in and give it hella warmup time (seriously, the damn thing takes a while to come around vs. other amps), I would say yes - it actually has a touch of warmth. 

My type of tunes :) Am looking out for a used BHSE in fact...will keep in mind your tips on warm up and tube set. Thanks too!

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #10,184 of 25,685
  I'm not technical enough to know the difference between the two Carbons  but Mjolnir's boards are not the same as the DIY group buy.  However, the DIY units often use better parts as well as better power supply (most will use GRLV & GRHV PSU).   I'm not  sure which will be better but PSU is always very import to the sound of the amp.  I strongly believe that DIY Carbon should be in a tight race to the Mjolnir's one.

Yes, Birgir did mention the DIY boards in the market were different from his but no further details provided. From what you're saying, am I correct to interpret as the Mjolnir Carbons may be considered pretty much top of the hill builds as well?

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #10,185 of 25,685
  Yes, Birgir did mention the DIY boards in the market were different from his but no further details provided. From what you're saying, am I correct to interpret as the Mjolnir Carbons may be considered pretty much top of the hill builds as well?

I don't own the Mjolnir one so I will not speculate on that but it is a sure bet with his amp.   However, my Carbon (not Mjolnir) also does sound pretty spectacular as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back