The Stax Thread III
Jan 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #7,771 of 25,567
  Thank you.
I was asking because I to have had the 009 which I purchased a few months ago paired with a KGSShv (spritzer) and a PWDll and found the 009 to be quite bright so I sold off the 009/KGSShv. Long story short, I had a BHSE (expected sometime in March/April) on order at the time and I have now purchased another 009 and a quad matched set of NOS Amperex EL34's…hopefully my experience is different this time around with the BHSE/NOS tubes because I really liked the 009 but they were unbearable at times…even at low volumes.
Thank for the info!
beerchug.gif

Interesting. I to have the 009s with a KGSShv Off-board with Sanyo parts. I don't find it too bright at all, in fact my amp if anything is slightly warm.
And if anything the same or less bright / transparent than the BHSE when I have heard that amp.

I have (read) on this forum some KGSShvs can be brighter than others, though I can't confirm that myself. Possibly those 'brighter' amps were voiced for the darker 007s?
Of course the DAC used can have an impact as well, it needs be as good as the 009s basically i.e. probably not a budget DAC.

So, I wouldn't worry about it, with the BHSE and the 009s and good EL34s you will be fine.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #7,772 of 25,567

AnakChan, did you (or the fellows at the meet) expressed any concern about the BHSE+SR009 being a little too bright (in the long run) ? 

Nope. However I think the SR-009 in general seems to get more love in Japan than Stax fans in other countries.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #7,773 of 25,567
Nope. However I think the SR-009 in general seems to get more love in Japan than Stax fans in other countries.

Thanks got the reply.
But.... since I have no possibility to compare the BHSE and the Carbon before purchase, for the SR009, will you recommande buying a BHSE or a Carbon ? Which is the "safest" buy ?

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,774 of 25,567
Thanks got the reply.
But.... since I have no possibility to compare the BHSE and the Carbon before purchase, for the SR009, will you recommande buying a BHSE or a Carbon ? Which is the "safest" buy ?

That is difficult. The Carbon is a DIY amp, and like the KGSSHv (also DIY) there are builds and parts count / variations on the PCBs that affect the sound. Clearly reading posts from owners who have had 3 or 4 KGSShv's they are saying different.

I have not heard the Carbon yet, but I can say I would be very happy with either a BHSE or a KGSShv (sanyo parts) and the 009s. That is what I have heard and like so much. If you can wait for the build time, I would say go for a BHSE while Justin is still building them. I can't say on the Carbon yet as I have not heard it, so won't offer advice on that yet.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #7,775 of 25,567
Anyone have experience of the Woo Wee? Any thoughts of it vs a Stax amp say the 323S?
I have Wee and used it for a year or so. Not using it now as I have a LL2 and my BHSE is almost here. But you can't really compare the Wee to an amp as it really depends on the speaker amp you hook it up to. If I were to do it again I'd would buy an amp as apposed to the Wee. It's more convenient to only have to deal with one component instead of two. Just my thoughts on the issue. :D

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7,776 of 25,567
  Interesting.
And will the BHSE/NOS solve the "too bright" issue you experienced with the KGSShv ?   Do you think that the Carbon could also solve this issue ? 

I don't know the answers to your first questions…but will find out when I receive the BHSE.
And as for the second question...I have no idea.

Interesting. I to have the 009s with a KGSShv Off-board with Sanyo parts. I don't find it too bright at all, in fact my amp if anything is slightly warm.
And if anything the same or less bright / transparent than the BHSE when I have heard that amp.
I have (read) on this forum some KGSShvs can be brighter than others, though I can't confirm that myself. Possibly those 'brighter' amps were voiced for the darker 007s?
Of course the DAC used can have an impact as well, it needs be as good as the 009s basically i.e. probably not a budget DAC.
So, I wouldn't worry about it, with the BHSE and the 009s and good EL34s you will be fine.

It is interesting because my combo was bright. 
I wouldn't consider the PWDll to be a budget DAC, and also the reason I'm giving the 009/BHSE combo a go is because maybe it won't be as bright as the KGSShv…there was only one way for me to find out so, I'll keep you posted when the BHSE arrives.
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7,777 of 25,567
Thanks got the reply.

I can offer insight when my bhse is finished. The carbon and bhse will be my electrostat game starters. I couldn't decide which either and figured you need both tube and solid state anyway.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #7,779 of 25,567
I've heard a mjolnir mini kgsshv that has the distinction of being the brightest stat amp I've ever heard. So yeah, that's definitely not a "bright" idea to pair with a 009.

Yeah I assume he voices them for the SR-007 since that's his preferred Stax.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #7,780 of 25,567
Same for my mjolnir kgss that sound bright, but pairing with a SR-007 does not have the resolution of my 009.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #7,781 of 25,567
  It is interesting because my combo was bright. 
I wouldn't consider the PWDll to be a budget DAC, and also the reason I'm giving the 009/BHSE combo a go is because maybe it won't be as bright as the KGSShv…there was only one way for me to find out so, I'll keep you posted when the BHSE arrives.
beerchug.gif

I had also last year the PWDII Dac here in my electrostatic setup. The PS Audio sounds to bright with all my E-Stats, especially SR-009 with a very technical unatural sound signature. The SR-009 is in my experience a extrem transparent headphone without own signature and the performance scales and depends on your source setup (amp, dac, etc.).

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #7,782 of 25,567
didn't know that kgss are bright... I'm still newb of stax. 

Does Tyll's KGSSSRE sound bright?

Do you stax mafias think Big Sound 2015 project's 009 setup(DAC amp etc.etc.) was something wrong to evaluate 009 properly?

about KGSSSRE
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/stax-mafia-makes-unrefusable-offer-and-i-begin-electrostatic-headphone-measurement-program

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #7,783 of 25,567
  didn't know that kgss are bright... I'm still newb of stax. 

Does Tyll's KGSSSRE sound bright?

Do you stax mafias think Big Sound 2015 project's 009 setup(DAC amp etc.etc.) was something wrong to evaluate 009 properly?

about KGSSSRE
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/stax-mafia-makes-unrefusable-offer-and-i-begin-electrostatic-headphone-measurement-program

Could be but I can't say for 100%.  It really depends on the parts used as well as voicing.  Heck I used to have three KGSSHVs at one point in time and they don't sound the same.  Even a different attenuator can affect the sound.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #7,784 of 25,567
  Could be but I can't say for 100%.  It really depends on the parts used as well as voicing.  Heck I used to have three KGSSHVs at one point in time and they don't sound the same.  Even a different attenuator can affect the sound.

Do you think that different DIY T2's are likely to sound different? 

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #7,785 of 25,567
  I had also last year the PWDII Dac here in my electrostatic setup. The PS Audio sounds to bright with all my E-Stats, especially SR-009 with a very technical unatural sound signature. The SR-009 is in my experience a extrem transparent headphone without own signature and the performance scales and depends on your source setup (amp, dac, etc.).

So which DAC do/did you use with the 009 that wasn't bright in your opinion?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back