The Stax Thread III
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #23,720 of 25,487
https://twitter.com/STAX1938/status/1645670602177658881

Hello, There is a post on Stax Twitter about a broken Sr-009.

They said it broke down using an amplifier from another company, not a stock amplifier. I'm wondering if this is right, so I'm signing up for the community and asking.
Sure that can absolutely happen. That’s why so many long time Stax aficionados espouse that not all third-party amplifiers are equal. Not even close. Stax branded amplifiers leave too much performance on the table, but with 3rd party you must choose wisely. I’ve had 2 pair of 009 since 2014 and have used them on BHSE, a few different KGSShv, KGST, Carbon, a few DIY T2 — never even the slightest issue with either set.

And as much as I love Stax, they should probably clean up their act with early failures in flagship releases (099, 009S, 9000X) before they bash on 3rd party amps. I had one of the 1st 009S and it was immediately defective (the original 009 was better anyways lol). It’s kept me from buying their 9000X.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #23,721 of 25,487
Sure that can absolutely happen. That’s why so many long time Stax aficionados espouse that not all third-party amplifiers are equal. Not even close. Stax branded amplifiers leave too much performance on the table, but with 3rd party you must choose wisely. I’ve had 2 pair of 009 since 2014 and have used them on BHSE, a few different KGSShv, KGST, Carbon, a few DIY T2 — never even the slightest issue with either set.

And as much as I love Stax, they should probably clean up their act with early failures in flagship releases (099, 009S, 9000X) before they bash on 3rd party amps. I had one of the 1st 009S and it was immediately defective (the original 009 was better anyways lol). It’s kept me from buying their 9000X.
I've only used 009 for the Stax product, but it was pretty good. For now, the official usage warning for third-party amplifiers has been issued from Stax headquarters, so I think it would be better to use Stax amplifier.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #23,723 of 25,487

Which the best pairing for 009 regarding this amplifiers?

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #23,724 of 25,487
https://twitter.com/STAX1938/status/1645670602177658881

Hello, There is a post on Stax Twitter about a broken Sr-009.

They said it broke down using an amplifier from another company, not a stock amplifier. I'm wondering if this is right, so I'm signing up for the community and asking.
Can't help but note that those tweets were posted the day the Topping EHA5 was released and I have a feeling it wasn't a coincidence. Probably Stax felt the need to remind people caveat emptor when it comes to 3rd party amps and proper output protection. The photos do make quite an effective statement.

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #23,726 of 25,487
In general something non-solid state. Megatron, KGGG and the ubiquitous T2 answer as pointed out above.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #23,727 of 25,487
The OG DIY T2 is far and away the best pairing for 009, and this combo is still my favorite headphone setup of all time.
I have not heard Megatron, but in absence of T2 I'd have gotten one for sure :) Same with KGGG. I absolutely, positively want tubes with 009, and really just in general.

If 007 were my favorite headphone (they're not), then SS amps would be in the mix (again, only in absence of T2). ES1a and 009S are kind of between the 2, and can go either way.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #23,728 of 25,487
I absolutely love the T2. It makes literally anything sing. I have not heard a bad pairing with it at all. But if the 009 was my main or only stat headphones, which are generally easy to drive, I'd probably look at an Aeras instead. You'll get a bit more bass, openness and resolution with the T2, but I'd probably try the Aeras first as it's a lesser jump than with other, harder to drive headphones. The Aeras is also a hint warmer which the 009 does benefit from.

Come to think of it, are there other good amps that stand out as warmer yet still highly resolving? The BHSE is more neutral, the Woo Wes was just too dark imo, the Carbon is supposedly a bit brighter (with headphones like the 009 and similar from what I've heard; haven't heard one in forever and only at a mini meet). The T2 has a hint of warmth, but more neutral than the Aeras and for reference much more neutral than the Woo Wes. There are a lot of amps I haven't heard, I've been so satisfied with the BHSE and T2 over the years that I just haven't tried much else. Not sure where the KGGG, Megatron, etc. fall when it comes to tone.

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #23,729 of 25,487
I absolutely love the T2. It makes literally anything sing. I have not heard a bad pairing with it at all. But if the 009 was my main or only stat headphones, which are generally easy to drive, I'd probably look at an Aeras instead. You'll get a bit more bass, openness and resolution with the T2, but I'd probably try the Aeras first as it's a lesser jump than with other, harder to drive headphones. The Aeras is also a hint warmer which the 009 does benefit from.

Come to think of it, are there other good amps that stand out as warmer yet still highly resolving? The BHSE is more neutral, the Woo Wes was just too dark imo, the Carbon is supposedly a bit brighter (with headphones like the 009 and similar from what I've heard; haven't heard one in forever and only at a mini meet). The T2 has a hint of warmth, but more neutral than the Aeras and for reference much more neutral than the Woo Wes. There are a lot of amps I haven't heard, I've been so satisfied with the BHSE and T2 over the years that I just haven't tried much else. Not sure where the KGGG, Megatron, etc. fall when it comes to tone.
What surprised me when I first bought a carbon was that it was not as bright as the KGST or KGSSHV. The SiC FET output devices basically sound like tube - yet the amp has the massive power and dynamics of a SS amp.
I will report back when I receive my megatron in a month or so about where it lands.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #23,730 of 25,487
Funny, I had an early KGSShv Carbon (non-Mjolnir) and it was definitely brighter than KGST and my favorite KGSShv version. I could not tolerate the 009 or L700 on it for long, though it sounded good other than brightness. 009S or 007 Mk 1 was the far better match there. However there are certainly other KGSShv versions I've heard which are even brighter! And it's very likely later Mjolnir Carbons now sound quite different than what I had. What I've noticed is that generally the specific choice of transistors and (possibly) other amp build considerations have more impact on the sound than tube rolling (say in BHSE or T2).

The difference in sound extends to the T2 versions, too. They use (some) different transistors, and this certainly has more sway on sonics than tube rolling either version. Any (working) T2 version is amazing, but specifically for 009 I feel the older version's pairing is perfect. Like they were made for each other. Other headphones -- I'm not sure which I really prefer :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back