The Stax Thread III
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #23,746 of 25,560
I always unplug, and then force discharge by pressing the cable plug pins against the back of my hand. Maybe a bit overkill but I do it without thinking and I've never had an issue in 10 years of 'stat use -- except for the 1st brand new 009S that immediately failed, which was Stax's fault.
Basically same here but in slightly different order. I had the L700 for about 2-3 years and always unplugged and never discharged. I then bought a 009S that failed after about 50 total hours due to a manufacturing fault. The person I bought it from told me about grounding and I’ve been doing it ever since as a precaution. 5-6 total estat years and no issues.

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #23,747 of 25,560
How many here unplug their estats after use (for full discharge) vs keep them plugged in (even if the amp is off)? I've read this is better to avoid channel imbalance later on.
I've always done a full discharge, unplug - but now with some of my vintage units I'm thinking it's better to keep them plugged in so the wear on the plug is less.
I also unplug and store all my earspeakers between uses, never had any issue with the sockets since the mid '80s with my Lambda NB and for the last 9 or so years with my SR-009, SR-007, and Voce.

The only issue I have had is with the SR-009 getting an imbalance when I first got them. I don't think that has anything to do with the unplugging and replugging, Stax said they needed to be cleaned, which is weird as they were new when this happened (only had them for a few months). I think the trip (vacation) they took in the airplane to japan and back for service had more to do with "fixing" them... YMMV, IME and all that.

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #23,748 of 25,560
Discharging is never bad but I do not think these issues are tied to that.

Here is my recent personal experience: I have a Gamma (Alpha) Pro from Japan that I haven't used for a long time. When it took it out, it seemed to have quite a sticky diaphragm on one side the earpads seal tightly, and when they do, it makes odd noises when it does that on the Carbon.

However, get this: I plugged it into the SRD-X Pro and when it did the same thing, unsticks itself very quicky, barely noticeable.
Moreover, if after this, I discharge and plug it into the Carbon again, it is fine again for a while and does not do this, like it was cured.

It seems to me that more powerful amps do move that diaphragm with more force or something
So any issue regarding this may creep up more the on a more powerful amp.

Stax has reduced the membrane to stator gap on the 009, 009S and X9000 maybe there is a small variability on how they manufacture it, that is why this problem may likely to occur here.
The Audeze CRBN is also purposefully designed to become sticky (if I remember they said bass is better if the gap is smaller), and after a mountain of complaints they probably changed something to avoid this from happening frequently.
Older Omegas Lambdas etc. probably won't have these issues by design.

So while this issue may creep up, there is not a lot of actual information about why it occurs.
And we also don't know:
- how much is down to the power of aftermarket amps
- how much is down to manufacturing errors
- how much is attributed to other environmental factors (humidity, temperature, age, etc.)

People tend to blame each other instead of collaborating and figuring this out together.
I do have another Gamma Pro (presumably from the EU), no stickiness whatsoever, I also used two sets of 009 and X9000 on aftermarket amps without problems.

Stax obviously does not have access to aftermarket amps, as stated, they do not want to deal with anything related to them.
So this issue might not even come up for them when they test it (even if it was returned to them with this fault, unless the contact arced the stator, causing permanent damage).

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #23,750 of 25,560
Morning all! I've waited for a lull in the convo to pop in with some impressions and questions regarding my new assembled desktop rig.

A bit of backstory - I dipped my toe in the Stax pool a few years ago with a pair of 007 MkII's and a 727 purchased as a set through the HF classifieds, and I was impressed but wouldn't say blown away. At the time I had some decent cash sunk into a desktop rig for my dynamics and tbh had found the 'cult-ish' part of the Stax thing a bit offputting. (Forgive me, I get it now lol). I did read up and decide to upgrade my amp situation since it was well-documented that the stock Stax amps left plenty to be desired. So, I found a secondhand KGSSHV Mini by JR Audio, pulled the trigger and put it in the game. Was a noticeable improvement, but after a few months, the electrostatic setup ended up selling - just didn't quite wow me in my setup (I also realize that an amp built by JR is different than the same built by Birgir, which is different than one built by ____, etc. etc.)

So, fast forward and here I am again after scoring a nice deal on a pair of 007's again. I read a quote from earlier in the thread that basically said 'in most head-fi gear, you'll want to upgrade your source first and foremost to get the best out of your listening experience, but with Stax, you may want to prioritize your amplification.' Well, I took that to heart this time and ponied up for a full-sized KGSSHV from Mjolnir Audio that was listed in the classifieds.

Long-ish story short. I'm glad I did :)

The current setup is RME ADI-2 feeding the KGSSHV powering the 007's and it's a wonderful listening experience. The slightly warm presentation is very smooth, but more detailed than any other headphone experience in recent memory (PS2000e, Utopia, Clear OG to name a few). The way the 007's dig out details without being strident or artificial is pretty amazing, and it's a bit mindblowing to think that the amps Stax makes for their own headphones so underperform. If I'd had this kind of experience the first time around, I would probably have been much sooner to this thread! All that to say, I get it now. I'm in. Consider this my membership application to the 'club.'

So, couple of questions for those that have been around the Stax block, mostly regarding source gear.
  1. Is anyone using the same cans/amp with a Schiit Yggdrasil? If so, which version?
  2. I really enjoy the RME, even though I've traditionally been an R2R guy. I do wonder if the next logical step would be to upgrade source gear at this point though and the Yggdrasil+ is appealing. What other source gear in the $2k or less realm are you enjoying? It's worth knowing that I'm exclusively a headphone listener, playing predominantly Apple lossless source material, who like I said historically has enjoyed the smoother presentation of R2R designs over stereotypical DS implementations.

Thanks in advance for any incoming input!

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #23,751 of 25,560
Recently i sold my setup for dynamic/planars headphones. Every time every time I listened to a non-electrostatic headphone, it seemed fake to me. i don´t know if is my current state of mind....my source is based on a dac with double Philips tda 1541 and the amplifier is just a stax sr- t1 (waiting for a revision). the amplifier is important but the source is fundamental to make shine a stax headphone
Morning all! I've waited for a lull in the convo to pop in with some impressions and questions regarding my new assembled desktop rig.

A bit of backstory - I dipped my toe in the Stax pool a few years ago with a pair of 007 MkII's and a 727 purchased as a set through the HF classifieds, and I was impressed but wouldn't say blown away. At the time I had some decent cash sunk into a desktop rig for my dynamics and tbh had found the 'cult-ish' part of the Stax thing a bit offputting. (Forgive me, I get it now lol). I did read up and decide to upgrade my amp situation since it was well-documented that the stock Stax amps left plenty to be desired. So, I found a secondhand KGSSHV Mini by JR Audio, pulled the trigger and put it in the game. Was a noticeable improvement, but after a few months, the electrostatic setup ended up selling - just didn't quite wow me in my setup (I also realize that an amp built by JR is different than the same built by Birgir, which is different than one built by ____, etc. etc.)

So, fast forward and here I am again after scoring a nice deal on a pair of 007's again. I read a quote from earlier in the thread that basically said 'in most head-fi gear, you'll want to upgrade your source first and foremost to get the best out of your listening experience, but with Stax, you may want to prioritize your amplification.' Well, I took that to heart this time and ponied up for a full-sized KGSSHV from Mjolnir Audio that was listed in the classifieds.

The current setup is RME ADI-2 feeding the KGSSHV powering the 007's and it's a wonderful listening experience. The slightly warm presentation is very smooth, but more detailed than any other headphone experience in recent memory (PS2000e, Utopia, Clear OG to name a few). The way the 007's dig out details without being strident or artificial is pretty amazing, and it's a bit mindblowing to think that the amps Stax makes for their own headphones so underperform. If I'd had this kind of experience the first time around, I would probably have been much sooner to this thread! All that to say, I get it now. I'm in. Consider this my membership application to the 'club.'

So, couple of questions for those that have been around the Stax block, mostly regarding source gear.
  1. Is anyone using the same cans/amp with a Schiit Yggdrasil? If so, which version?
  2. I really enjoy the RME, even though I've traditionally been an R2R guy. I do wonder if the next logical step would be to upgrade source gear at this point though and the Yggdrasil+ is appealing. What other source gear in the $2k or less realm are you enjoying? It's worth knowing that I'm exclusively a headphone listener, playing predominantly Apple lossless source material, who like I said historically has enjoyed the smoother presentation of R2R designs over stereotypical DS implementations.

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #23,752 of 25,560

I tried an RME ADI-2 Pro "Black Edition" last year, and couldn't listen to it for more than a few minutes -- weird. Didn't give it a fair shot before I sold it, and didn't try it with Omega -class Staxes (just the L700). It just rubbed me the wrong way right from the get-go, and then I was done with it lol. Midrange felt dry, sterile, etc. That said, it has an overall clean neutral tone which seems like a good partner for 007.

The Yggdrasil OG is an excellent match for a KGSShv and 007. I've used OG Analog 1, and then later OG Analog 2. It also has a clean, clear neutral tonality that is great for the 007 and warmer 'stat setups. The KGSShv is not warm (well, except for that weird 450V Sanyo version) but 007 has more than enough warmth to cover for both amp & DAC. The 007 is a tough choice for your "toe dipping" into Stax, btw. You really needed a KGSShv (of a non-questionable build) to start driving it properly. Stax amps have no chance here, unless you always listen at low volumes.

Yggy is also an excellent sonic match for the DIY T2, which is on the warm side (especially the OG DIY T2). I found this out the hard way, after moving the Yggy for a warmer (much more expensive) DAC which sounded better in most systems but NOT with the T2 :sweat_smile: I've recently had to resolve this by patching in my iBasso DX220Max which is surprisingly a great sonic match for the T2. But I probably should've kept the Yggy (Analog 2) -- it's a great source for 'stats. I feel like the Analog 2 was better, but I'm going on long term memory for that comparison. I haven't tried any of the newer LIM / MIL / etc variants.

One caveat is I had both my OG Yggdrasils fail and require repair -- which Schiit did admirably. But it's weird both of them failed (different failure points) when I've never had another DAC fail. Another caveat is I hate the sound of their USB inputs (Gen 3 and Gen 5). It's strident. I had to use coax.

Overall I'm an "amp first" guy (especially with 'stats), but you definitely have to get the source matching right too. Also I prefer vinyl.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #23,753 of 25,560
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my thoughts on my recent journey with Stax and electrostatic headphones.

Over a year ago, I started with the SR-007 MKII with the blu tack mod. While it was a decent headphone, it didn't have the dynamics and depth I was looking for. It sounded a bit flat and didn't align with my preferences, so I ended up selling both the headphone and the energizer. At that point, I didn't have any plans to explore e-stats further.

Then, last year, I decided to give it another shot and purchased the Warwick Acoustics Bravura. It was a significant improvement over the SR-007. The Bravura had a more neutral and bright tonality, without the 1KHZ peaks that Stax headphones often have. Additionally it had very good dynamics for an e-stat. Overall, it was a good headphone, but after spending some time with it, I started noticing a few minor flaws that became more apparent. The bass had a noticeable fall-off, and the treble sounded somewhat edgy. The treble presentation, in particular, began to bother me more and more, so I eventually sold it.

During that same year, I unexpectedly had the chance to visit a headphone shop and listen to the X9000. It was a completely different experience than anything I had heard before. I made the impulsive decision to sell some of my existing gear and purchased the X9000. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a big mistake. Upon listening critically at home, I found that I didn't enjoy the artificially wide soundstage and the lightweight construction. It simply didn't sound right to my ears. Additionally, the slight bass fall-off and the prominent 1KHZ peak, which emphasizes certain instruments and makes the music feel crowded, didn't suit my taste. Consequently, I decided to sell it.

After having some spare energizers lying around, I decided to delve deeper into my research and test additional electrostatic headphones to make a final decision on whether to continue with e-stats or not. My goal was to find a pair with linear bass extension and a less pronounced 1KHZ peak, so I studied graphs and reviews. That's when I came across the Stax Lambda Pro Classic, which seemed to fit the criteria. Fortunately, I found a pair available in the local classifieds and purchased it.

To my surprise, the Lambda Pro Classic exceeded my expectations. It boasts one of the best bass responses I've ever heard. While it may not have the sheer quantity of a 1266, it compensates with tightness, texture, and a satisfying impact. Furthermore, its tonality is incredibly pleasing, with every element finding its rightful place. There are no annoying peaks, and even the 2khz range, which tends to be dipped in many other Stax headphones, shines through, giving voices the attention they deserve. The treble is extremely detailed without any sibilance issues, and the timbre of the Lambda Pro Classic is simply outstanding—exceptionally natural. The only drawback is the soundstage, which is very intimate compared to other Stax headphones.

Encouraged by the positive experience, I continued exploring Stax headphones with a linear bass response, as I realized this was a crucial factor for me. That's when I came across the L300 LTD. On paper, it seemed like it should perform well in the bass area. However, in practice, even with the blu tack mod, it didn't deliver the desired bass extension. Despite this setback, it was still a decent headphone. In the end, I decided to sell it as well.

I came across a Sennheiser HE-60 in perfect condition on eBay, complete with spare parts—a true collector's item. Intrigued, I decided to give it a try and made the purchase. However, my feelings about it are somewhat mixed. On the positive side, the tonality is really impressive, lacking the annoying 1KHZ peak. It features a Harman-like tuning, with the exception of slightly less bass compared to the Lambda Pro Classic. The midrange is particularly noteworthy, delivering a musical and enjoyable experience. Detail retrieval is quite good, although not on par with the Lambda Pro Classic. However, the plastic construction of the HE-60 started to bother me. While the Lambda Pro Classic isn't necessarily superior in this aspect, I found the HE-60 to feel more fragile when worn. Unfortunately, I couldn't spend much time with it due to channel imbalance issues, so I ended up returning it to the seller. At this point, I'm still undecided on whether it's worth giving the HE-60 another shot or not. Nonetheless, it's certainly not a bad headphone.

I recently made the purchase of the SR-009 BK, and initially, I was quite impressed by it. The soundstage it offers is perfect, striking a balance between not being overly wide like the X9000, yet still providing a spacious feel without sounding artificial. The headphone delivers world-class speed, texture, and detail, and the treble, with the adjusted pads, is smooth and enjoyable. However, I did encounter a couple of issues with it—the notorious 1KHZ peak and a noticeable bass drop-off compared to the Lambda Pro Classic. As a result, I have decided to sell it.

I often find myself wondering why the Lambda Pro Classic isn't frequently mentioned or discussed within the Stax community. While I understand that enthusiasts within the community may prioritize other aspects of a headphone and may listen to genres where bass isn't as crucial or the 1KHZ peak is actually desirable, in my opinion, the Lambda Pro Classic is unbeatable, especially for someone transitioning from planar magnetic and dynamic driver headphones. I personally believe it holds its own against top-notch headphones like the Susvara and others.

Currently, I have no intentions of exploring additional Stax headphones further, as I am extremely content with the Lambda Pro Classic. In fact, I'm contemplating the idea of acquiring a second pair as a precautionary measure in case anything unfortunate happens to my current one. The Lambda Pro Classic has truly won me over, and I want to ensure I have a backup option available to continue enjoying its remarkable performance.

I hope my perspective can assist fellow members and provide an alternative viewpoint from someone who isn't particularly drawn to the typical Stax sound signature.

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #23,754 of 25,560
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my thoughts on my recent journey with Stax and electrostatic headphones.

Over a year ago, I started with the SR-007 MKII with the blu tack mod. While it was a decent headphone, it didn't have the dynamics and depth I was looking for. It sounded a bit flat and didn't align with my preferences, so I ended up selling both the headphone and the energizer. At that point, I didn't have any plans to explore e-stats further.

Then, last year, I decided to give it another shot and purchased the Warwick Acoustics Bravura. It was a significant improvement over the SR-007. The Bravura had a more neutral and bright tonality, without the 1KHZ peaks that Stax headphones often have. Additionally it had very good dynamics for an e-stat. Overall, it was a good headphone, but after spending some time with it, I started noticing a few minor flaws that became more apparent. The bass had a noticeable fall-off, and the treble sounded somewhat edgy. The treble presentation, in particular, began to bother me more and more, so I eventually sold it.

During that same year, I unexpectedly had the chance to visit a headphone shop and listen to the X9000. It was a completely different experience than anything I had heard before. I made the impulsive decision to sell some of my existing gear and purchased the X9000. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a big mistake. Upon listening critically at home, I found that I didn't enjoy the artificially wide soundstage and the lightweight construction. It simply didn't sound right to my ears. Additionally, the slight bass fall-off and the prominent 1KHZ peak, which emphasizes certain instruments and makes the music feel crowded, didn't suit my taste. Consequently, I decided to sell it.

After having some spare energizers lying around, I decided to delve deeper into my research and test additional electrostatic headphones to make a final decision on whether to continue with e-stats or not. My goal was to find a pair with linear bass extension and a less pronounced 1KHZ peak, so I studied graphs and reviews. That's when I came across the Stax Lambda Pro Classic, which seemed to fit the criteria. Fortunately, I found a pair available in the local classifieds and purchased it.

To my surprise, the Lambda Pro Classic exceeded my expectations. It boasts one of the best bass responses I've ever heard. While it may not have the sheer quantity of a 1266, it compensates with tightness, texture, and a satisfying impact. Furthermore, its tonality is incredibly pleasing, with every element finding its rightful place. There are no annoying peaks, and even the 2khz range, which tends to be dipped in many other Stax headphones, shines through, giving voices the attention they deserve. The treble is extremely detailed without any sibilance issues, and the timbre of the Lambda Pro Classic is simply outstanding—exceptionally natural. The only drawback is the soundstage, which is very intimate compared to other Stax headphones.

Encouraged by the positive experience, I continued exploring Stax headphones with a linear bass response, as I realized this was a crucial factor for me. That's when I came across the L300 LTD. On paper, it seemed like it should perform well in the bass area. However, in practice, even with the blu tack mod, it didn't deliver the desired bass extension. Despite this setback, it was still a decent headphone. In the end, I decided to sell it as well.

I came across a Sennheiser HE-60 in perfect condition on eBay, complete with spare parts—a true collector's item. Intrigued, I decided to give it a try and made the purchase. However, my feelings about it are somewhat mixed. On the positive side, the tonality is really impressive, lacking the annoying 1KHZ peak. It features a Harman-like tuning, with the exception of slightly less bass compared to the Lambda Pro Classic. The midrange is particularly noteworthy, delivering a musical and enjoyable experience. Detail retrieval is quite good, although not on par with the Lambda Pro Classic. However, the plastic construction of the HE-60 started to bother me. While the Lambda Pro Classic isn't necessarily superior in this aspect, I found the HE-60 to feel more fragile when worn. Unfortunately, I couldn't spend much time with it due to channel imbalance issues, so I ended up returning it to the seller. At this point, I'm still undecided on whether it's worth giving the HE-60 another shot or not. Nonetheless, it's certainly not a bad headphone.

I recently made the purchase of the SR-009 BK, and initially, I was quite impressed by it. The soundstage it offers is perfect, striking a balance between not being overly wide like the X9000, yet still providing a spacious feel without sounding artificial. The headphone delivers world-class speed, texture, and detail, and the treble, with the adjusted pads, is smooth and enjoyable. However, I did encounter a couple of issues with it—the notorious 1KHZ peak and a noticeable bass drop-off compared to the Lambda Pro Classic. As a result, I have decided to sell it.

I often find myself wondering why the Lambda Pro Classic isn't frequently mentioned or discussed within the Stax community. While I understand that enthusiasts within the community may prioritize other aspects of a headphone and may listen to genres where bass isn't as crucial or the 1KHZ peak is actually desirable, in my opinion, the Lambda Pro Classic is unbeatable, especially for someone transitioning from planar magnetic and dynamic driver headphones. I personally believe it holds its own against top-notch headphones like the Susvara and others.

Currently, I have no intentions of exploring additional Stax headphones further, as I am extremely content with the Lambda Pro Classic. In fact, I'm contemplating the idea of acquiring a second pair as a precautionary measure in case anything unfortunate happens to my current one. The Lambda Pro Classic has truly won me over, and I want to ensure I have a backup option available to continue enjoying its remarkable performance.

I hope my perspective can assist fellow members and provide an alternative viewpoint from someone who isn't particularly drawn to the typical Stax sound signature.
Great post.
Many of the issues you’re discussing are further complicated by amplification choice. The LPC is an easier to drive headphone than many of the others mentioned and may explain part of your results.

That said, I share similar experiences with you. The lambda nova signature is considered by many (my self included) to be stax’s best lambda then followed by the lambda NB. Many other lambda are very good but forgotten given the LNS & NB only sells for $500~ 2nd hand. I found that I preferred the LNS over the 009S and while the x9k was technically better, on the carbon the LNS was much more enjoyable. I did not have this same experience with the L300 or lambda pro (80s).

Based on your experiences I would suggest trying the 007 mk1 serial number 71xxx or 70xxx. Mjolnir kgsshv or better (kg) amplification is a must. It’s much clearer sounding than the mk2 and has the best bass of any estat when driven well.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #23,755 of 25,560
Hey everyone,

Nice summary of your journey! I don't know how much the Lambda Pro Classic differs from the original Lambda Pro. But yeah, I heard the og Lambda Pro when I was getting into Stax, and LOVED it. Super fun engaging sound, with great bass impact. Would've bought it on the spot if the owner was selling (he wouldn't, dammit). I think the problems you faced with 007 / 009 / 9000X are greatly exacerbated by the deficiencies of most energizers (including the Stax ones). They can sound dull, boring, and/or mushy until you step up to an KGSShv (or maybe KGST). I even thought the 007 on an original KGSS was kinda boring -- much better on KGSShv.

The Lambdas are much easier to drive; easily enjoyable on lesser amps. Sending a 'stat neophyte right into 007 land is begging for disappointment. But then there's a lot of sonic variance in the Lambda models themselves. I much prefer the warmer-tilted Lambdas with a (relatively) fat bottom end like Lambda Pro and L700 (as opposed to the Lambda Signature and 404LE). I haven't heard the L300 or L500 models.

Anyways if you're happy with the Lambda Pro Classic, it's because you're probably right that they're awesome. Enjoy :)
On a DIY T2, 009 is still my favorite headphone setup of all time. But yeah, the 009 experience degrades rapidly as you move down the amp chain :-/

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #23,757 of 25,560
Hey everyone,

Very fun post to read. Really insightful. Based on your current comparisons, have you felt like the HE60 is a little "too" bass light? I still love them for the reasons you state, but after a long, long time with them (they were my first real stat 15+ years ago), that's been standing in the way for me just a bit lately. But with the right music, the midrange and vocals are to die for.

And as @Chefguru mentioned, if you feel like Stat is the ongoing path for you, I'd definitely invest in better amplification and your opinions will evolve even further. Happy listening. :)

Nice summary of your journey! I don't know how much the Lambda Pro Classic differs from the original Lambda Pro. But yeah, I heard the og Lambda Pro when I was getting into Stax, and LOVED it. Super fun engaging sound, with great bass impact. Would've bought it on the spot if the owner was selling (he wouldn't, dammit). I think the problems you faced with 007 / 009 / 9000X are greatly exacerbated by the deficiencies of most energizers (including the Stax ones). They can sound dull, boring, and/or mushy until you step up to an KGSShv (or maybe KGST). I even thought the 007 on an original KGSS was kinda boring -- much better on KGSShv.

The Lambdas are much easier to drive; easily enjoyable on lesser amps. Sending a 'stat neophyte right into 007 land is begging for disappointment. But then there's a lot of sonic variance in the Lambda models themselves. I much prefer the warmer-tilted Lambdas with a (relatively) fat bottom end like Lambda Pro and L700 (as opposed to the Lambda Signature and 404LE). I haven't heard the L300 or L500 models.

Anyways if you're happy with the Lambda Pro Classic, it's because you're probably right that they're awesome. Enjoy :)
On a DIY T2, 009 is still my favorite headphone setup of all time. But yeah, the 009 experience degrades rapidly as you move down the amp chain :-/

I was just listening to the 009 yesterday, just incredible out of the T2. Can still sound great out of a cheaper amp than the T2, but I do think the BHSE/Carbon level of amp should be the baseline requirement. Definitely is just not what it can be below that, as with most stats. 009 doesn't get the love it deserves, technically it is as up there as anything you can get sans the super premium picks (Aperio, SGL Sr. etc.). Admittedly it does have the high end brightness that even for me after more than 1.5-2hrs tends to require a break. Still one of my all time favorites regardless due to all of its other strengths.

I haven't heard Lamdas in a very long time and need to go back down that rabbit hole.

Jun 23, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #23,758 of 25,560
What is the difference between Lambda Pro Classic and Lambda Pro?
I have owned several of the lambda signature series.
Lambda Signature, Lambda nova Signature, 404, 407, and incidentally Lambda Pro.
Of these, I prefer Lambda Signature, Lambda Pro and 404.
In My Opinion.
Lambda Signature is very neutral and flawless.
The Lambda Pro has a unique bass and is, of the STAXs, the closest to non electro-static.
The 404 is transparent, light and clean.
And by the way, I also like HE60 very much.
The HE60 seems to have a much more frequent left/right volume imbalance.
I don't mind and use the SRM-717's independent left/right volume compensation.
It is different from any STAX and you can feel the sound of the music.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #23,759 of 25,560
I have owned several of the lambda signature series.
Lambda Signature, Lambda nova Signature, 404, 407, and incidentally Lambda Pro.
Of these, I prefer Lambda Signature, Lambda Pro and 404.
In My Opinion.
Lambda Signature is very neutral and flawless.
The Lambda Pro has a unique bass and is, of the STAXs, the closest to non electro-static.
The 404 is transparent, light and clean.
And by the way, I also like HE60 very much.
The HE60 seems to have a much more frequent left/right volume imbalance.
I don't mind and use the SRM-717's independent left/right volume compensation.
It is different from any STAX and you can feel the sound of the music.

I believe the LPC is the equivalent of the L500 (with the LP being the L700) from that era.
717 is one of the best amps stax made - the KGSS is basically a modified version of it - in other words, you can turn a 717 into a kgss classic (not confused with the HV or Carbon).

Jun 24, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #23,760 of 25,560
The Classic (or Spirit) is a later, cheaper variant that has no damping in it with a cheaper headband, that's basically it.
You can find measurements in the oratory1990 database on both to see how this affects the frequency response.
Treble becomes smoother, soundstage gets a little bigger and the bass hump gets reduced a bit, gaining a bit of texture.
A little less V-shaped overall. On the other hand, transients are a bit better defined on the damped version.
The party piece on either of these models is that the perception of dynamics seems higher than most other Staxes (when driven well).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back