The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #301 of 698
I got Hifiman leather pads for $25 (for e.g. the HE-500) to fit on the Somics:

I further padded the rim inside with tissue to further raise the pads to clear my ears and glasses completely.  (the hifiman pads, stock, touch the tips of my ears.  The stock Somic pads press on my ears hard, padded up with tissue they still press on my ears somewhat.)

It's a really loose fit but they're ooh-so comfortable and butch looking now, almost like mini Sony XB1000s with that huge-pad appearance.  Sonically it's fine too, it won't lose bass seal because of the loose fit.

Nice... I had a set of beyer velours on them yesterday and they kinda fit. I have to grab them by the top and bottom instead of the sides, otherwise the pads will pop off. I might pick up the HiFiman velours. Using velours tames the bass quite a bit so it's more punchy than thumpy now. I did the headband mod, where I pulled the plastic out of the headband. It's so much lighter and comfier but the leather padding it flimsy now. I'll probably buy a beyer replacement pad for the headband. Also, need to find a thinner foam disc. A thin flimsier foam or maybe sock brightens up the highs. The beyer foam does a good job too but not as much sparkle. Going to play around with them a bit more... maybe removeable cable mod just for kicks. :D

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #303 of 698
^ I think we have a winner here Mshenay.
popcorn.gif

cute, any mods inside the earcups of these EFi-82MT apart from changing the cable?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #304 of 698
Quote:
Pictures don't really depict the Imperial Red, the red is actually darker red than shown, picture is too orange!

That looks heavenly ~~ 
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone know whether or not retail stores in China stock these? Might as well try to find them since I'm here already. Tried all the usual big-box electronic lurks to no avail.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #306 of 698
Quote:
No mods inside the cups.  I just removed the old cable.  With the HM5 pads I got comfort, tight fit, but wasn't happy with the sound.  Cable change took care of that.  I have been experimenting the last couple of months with different headphone wire on my HD600 and HD580.  I built eight different cables with wire I was able to purchase.  To save on the cost of the wire I used high end wire for the signal, and cheaper Mogami Gold HD croyoed wire for the returns (ground).  Found that the signal wire was important to the sound, but the return could be of lesser quality, and the sound took on the signal wire profile.  So, I found some Cardas 24 gauge litz, and coupled it with Mogami W2893 cryoed 28 gauge wire.  The Mogami by itself is very neutral, used it on my S500's.  But, I wanted more quality bass and more sparkle up top.  From previous experience with the Cardas on the HD600/580, I got just that, more quality bass and more sparkle, as well as improved mids.  I used Imperial Red type 1 paracord to sleeve each individual wire.  All turned out just I was hoping.  Fantastic sound, with the Somic sig, wide open soundstage,  Fantastic results....just thought I'd share the pic's!

me gust :O

I'd LOVE to try recableing my cans e.e as all my cans r gawd awfuly STOCK... and ironcally mono price RCA sounds better than Radio Shak Digital Coax [LAWL] so cables do make a differance...

but r those for sale <3

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #308 of 698
Quote:
 Damn straight the jack in the E17 grips it like a crazy mofo! I love the click when it locks in. 

SHUT UR FACE q.q, my Hifiman hm 601 does not grip that tight... as a result is hates 3.5mm plugs. If I un plug on to quick it will lose left audio e.e... that hifiman hates her some 3.5mm lol

also after 4 days I'm back on my music site... :D enjoying some Nu Tone via mad dogs ^^

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #309 of 698
Quote:
SHUT UR FACE q.q, my Hifiman hm 601 does not grip that tight... as a result is hates 3.5mm plugs. If I un plug on to quick it will lose left audio e.e... that hifiman hates her some 3.5mm lol

also after 4 days I'm back on my music site... :D enjoying some Nu Tone via mad dogs ^^

Damn man sorry to hear that - could be the material of the jack or the size from the hifiman hm 601.

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #310 of 698
Quote:
That looks heavenly ~~ 
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone know whether or not retail stores in China stock these? Might as well try to find them since I'm here already. Tried all the usual big-box electronic lurks to no avail.

The MH463 is stocked in lots of places around here in Hong Kong
Haven't seen the EFi-82MT stocked though

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #311 of 698
Quote:
Damn man sorry to hear that - could be the material of the jack or the size from the hifiman hm 601.

maybe... I just need to upgrade to the next hm player

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #312 of 698
Infinite sadness. The seller for my MH 463 sent it to the wrong country. 2 Weeks down, going to have to start the wait over again.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #315 of 698
I wonder what big HM5-style pads would do for the MH463. The tighter fit would probably help a bit with the headphone weight and the broader cups would likely be more comfortable than the Turtle Beach (which are already 1000 times more comfortable than stock pads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back