The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Mar 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #332 of 698
Quote:
I got Hifiman leather pads for $25 (for e.g. the HE-500) to fit on the Somics:

I further padded the rim inside with tissue to further raise the pads to clear my ears and glasses completely.  (the hifiman pads, stock, touch the tips of my ears.  The stock Somic pads press on my ears hard, padded up with tissue they still press on my ears somewhat.)

It's a really loose fit but they're ooh-so comfortable and butch looking now, almost like mini Sony XB1000s with that huge-pad appearance.  Sonically it's fine too, it won't lose bass seal because of the loose fit.

Wait I'm so confused how did you get the HE-500 pads to work on the MH463??... I thought they had tabs on the back to lock into the cups of the HE-500? Or am I mistaken and thinking of the HE-400??.. lol Just wondering because I pulled the trigger on the MH463s after I read this thread yesterday xD... Also do you think the Hifiman HE-400 velour pads from head direct would work?

Incase anybody is wondering the leather Hifiman pads are here

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=111

and if they velour pads do work they are here

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117

Hopefully the velours work lol... and they are only 10 bucks!!!

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #333 of 698
It'll be a while before mine arrive, but I'd like to know how badly they leak/let sound in... Does something like a running TV a few rooms away disturb listening/how far do you hear the music playing from the headphones? :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #334 of 698
Quote:

Wait I'm so confused how did you get the HE-500 pads to work on the MH463??... I thought they had tabs on the back to lock into the cups of the HE-500? Or am I mistaken and thinking of the HE-400??.. lol Just wondering because I pulled the trigger on the MH463s after I read this thread yesterday xD... Also do you think the Hifiman HE-400 velour pads from head direct would work?

Incase anybody is wondering the leather Hifiman pads are here

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=111

and if they velour pads do work they are here

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117

Hopefully the velours work lol... and they are only 10 bucks!!!

Yes they have tabs to lock onto the HE-x00... on a plastic ring on the back of the earpads that you can pull off.  What remains is a pair of earpads that fit on things the same way as the stock Somic pads, only much larger and deeper.
L3000.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #336 of 698
What are the sound differences between the Somic pads and the Hifiman pads?  I have a pair of MH463's on the way, and I know I won't be happy with the stock pads.  Also, how do the M50 pads stack up on the MH463?

Definitely change pads. they are utter mush and retain heat. I tried the beyer dt pads just to good around, no good of course. I like the turtle beach pads. headband mod is a must, it's heavy and unwieldy without doing it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #338 of 698
I've tried a few pads, I actually like the beyer velours best but the don't stay in place too well. Tried the turtle beachs and the monoprice dj pads on them. I like the filter on the beyers. it brings out more of the sparkle but it's still not enough for my liking. the high mids/low highs sounds muddled. I like the beyer dt880 sig, I find that kid charlemane's impression matches what I hear. certain songs, it sounds incredibly cramped and airs out on others. I like the mids on these more then the dt880s due to fuller sounding and forward mids. using the monoprice dj pads with the filter cut out, beyer filter in it's place.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #339 of 698
Quote:

Yes they have tabs to lock onto the HE-x00... on a plastic ring on the back of the earpads that you can pull off.  What remains is a pair of earpads that fit on things the same way as the stock Somic pads, only much larger and deeper.
L3000.gif

eek.gif
 OHHH EMMM GGGGG... I'm am definitely grabbing a pair of Hifiman Velour pads then!!!! Will tell results of tests if they are a success or failure!! Shouldn't fail since they are the exact same design lololol... SOO EXCITED... I'm sorry to all... my adrenal glands are in overdrive...

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #340 of 698
I have a pair of Hifiman's leather and velour pads inbound to see which works better on my MH463s. Barring an extreme bout of laziness, tomorrow I should be getting some cotton balls to knock out sfwalcer's headband mod as well.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #343 of 698
Quote:
I have a pair of Hifiman's leather and velour pads inbound to see which works better on my MH463s. Barring an extreme bout of laziness, tomorrow I should be getting some cotton balls to knock out sfwalcer's headband mod as well.

Dude! Can't wait for your review!! I am hoping the velours work better than the leathers... 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #344 of 698
Maybe I'm still too green to headphones, but comparing the open 463s to the closed EFi's is hard for me. I'll try my best to describe them accurately.

With the 463s, you have an awesome soundstage and excellent separation. In first person shooters with a great sound card, I can very accurately pick out distance and direction. Their musical strong suit is clearly with acoustic work, most flavors of symphonic metal, or really any style that emphasizes space and spacial cues. A lot of post-rock soundscape falls under this too. To me, bass is great without being overbearing. These will not be heavy-thumpers though, and in some genres (mentioned below) can sound anemic. The EFi's are more comfortable because they're lighter and the cups are more adjustable. They are also bassier headphones and to me have been better suited for songs/genres with heavier bass emphasis. Their soundstage is good, but very personal, more in-your-head vs in-front-of or surrounded-by; a lot of what I listen to sounds congested in comparison to the 463s.

Infected Mushrooms and DJ Fresh have some great music to test bass with, since both employ a lot of different levels of bass in fairly complex songs. "Louder" (the Doctor P and Flux Pavilion remix specifically) is a) an awesome song, and b) has a bass build-up that lets you compare very nicely between different phones. In this song, the 463s handle lyrics much better, but all other areas lend themselves to closed headphones. Electronica in its many forms seems to sound better with closed phones; when songs use rapid background oscillations between left and right (example being about 15 sec into "Louder"), they're sometimes too subtle in the 463s to notice immediately, while the EFi's make them more known.

Rock and metal have been context-dependent. I love Five Finger Death Punch and Halestorm from the 463s, but not from the EFi's. I love most of my dubstep/drum & bass stuff from the EFI's; newer rock from 3 Days Grace, In This Moment, and others have a definite electronica twist to them that favors the EFi's. I have not yet compared the EFi's to my Uptowns outside of comfort, and it will take something truly special to wear more comfortably than the Uptowns. I expect the EFi vs Uptowns will be a much easier comparison to make since they're both closed headphones.

(Side note on that: I've read that the EFi's are semi-closed. In my experience, neither my brother or I could really hear anything when we use these headphones at normal listening levels. They might be more obviously semi-closed in an anechoic chamber, but they sounded plenty closed in a quiet kitchen at 2am.)

With my SR850s, Inoticed that sound did change a bit with a change in pads. Since the Hifiman pads are so different from the Turtle Beach pads, I expect some changes in how they'll sound. The EFi's will be getting HM5 pads as well, so there's another opportunity for change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back