The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #286 of 698
Quote:
I feel the love!

Have you bought the Shure pads yet? 
wink_face.gif

As of just now, yep.

If these are as great as they're being described, I might have to pick up a second pair for my buddy. He's looking for a "decent" pair of closed cans and doesn't want to spend too much (< $50). Sounds like someone ripe for the Somic experience.
dt880smile.png

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #287 of 698
Quote:

As of just now, yep.

If these are as great as they're being described, I might have to pick up a second pair for my buddy. He's looking for a "decent" pair of closed cans and doesn't want to spend too much (< $50). Sounds like someone ripe for the Somic experience.
dt880smile.png

These are not closed cans, semi-open!

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #288 of 698
These are not closed cans, semi-open!

If you open them up, there's so much dampening in front of the grille that it may as well be closed.

(Perhaps we should move this to the EFi thread?)

I'm trying to turn mine into a fully open headphone, and I've got it down pretty well as to how I'm going to do it. I got a quick listen without the back, and WOAH these drivers are awesome.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #289 of 698
Quote:
If you open them up, there's so much dampening in front of the grille that it may as well be closed.

(Perhaps we should move this to the EFi thread?)

I'm trying to turn mine into a fully open headphone, and I've got it down pretty well as to how I'm going to do it. I got a quick listen without the back, and WOAH these drivers are awesome.

I'm not messing with mine, other than the velour pads I have on order....still too much bass with the 840 and HM5 pads.  I EQ the HM5 pad combo down 2db, to get the bass near normal.  Love the rest of the sound, very open and airy with a huge soundstage.  Female vocals to die for!

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #290 of 698
Quote:

I'm not messing with mine, other than the velour pads I have on order....still too much bass with the 840 and HM5 pads.  I EQ the HM5 pad combo down 2db, to get the bass near normal.  Love the rest of the sound, very open and airy with a huge soundstage.  Female vocals to die for!

I thought the same thing.

Then I messed with mine.

Wow, am I glad I messed with mine.

The bass resonances go away and the treble gains some gusto. Soundstage gets even bigger, for obvious reasons, but not awkwardly so. Yeah. It's pretty crazy.

Too bad it's in pieces, but once I figure out how to turn it into a cohesive, sturdy headphone, I'll definitely post pics and directions in the appropriate threads.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #291 of 698
Quote:
I thought the same thing.

Then I messed with mine.

Wow, am I glad I messed with mine.

The bass resonances go away and the treble gains some gusto. Soundstage gets even bigger, for obvious reasons, but not awkwardly so. Yeah. It's pretty crazy.

Too bad it's in pieces, but once I figure out how to turn it into a cohesive, sturdy headphone, I'll definitely post pics and directions in the appropriate threads.

With the HM5 pads they sound very balanced to me with the -2db EQ at 30, 60 and 125hz.  I am going to try velour pads that fit the Sony MDRV 700DJ (the frame and build on these Sony's look exactly like the Somic), the other pads just get too hot, and there is a good chance the velour will tame the bass to where I like it.  Then I am going with Cardas wire with paracord braiding like the S500's I just sold here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653386/jvc-ha-s500-with-hm5-pad-mod-o-rings-cable-upgrade-sharp

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #292 of 698
I came to these when I was looking at the Lasmex-75's, seems like they're the same... http://lasmex.com/en/web/uber.asp?id=62&x=1
I'm looking for clear sounding headphones with a good soundstage for country/pop and female vocals.
Good instrument and detail seperation is a must. I'm coming from Sony xb500's so I really need to hear a big difference.
wink.gif

I also really hope that these don't need any eq. Though I am very aware that these are open headphones (@cashnotcredit or are they?
confused.gif
) I'd still like to know how badly they leak sound...
How well do they perform on low volumes? A lot of questions, I know
smile.gif

Btw. Should I go for the Lasmexxes (46€) or should I mess with the chinese dealer?

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #293 of 698
Quote:
I came to these when I was looking at the Lasmex-75's, seems like they're the same... http://lasmex.com/en/web/uber.asp?id=62&x=1
I'm looking for clear sounding headphones with a good soundstage for country/pop and female vocals.
Good instrument and detail seperation is a must. I'm coming from Sony xb500's so I really need to hear a big difference.
wink.gif

I also really hope that these don't need any eq. Though I am very aware that these are open headphones (@cashnotcredit or are they?
confused.gif
) I'd still like to know how badly they leak sound...
How well do they perform on low volumes? A lot of questions, I know
smile.gif

Btw. Should I go for the Lasmexxes (46€) or should I mess with the chinese dealer?

i feel like all they did was pull the company logo off and glued their own on the exact spot...

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #294 of 698
Well, I threw in for a pair of MH463's off of aliexpress for $49. Should be here in a month or so.
popcorn.gif
I was looking to add another open can to my collection (my only other one is my Grado sr60). Hopefully it adds something nice.
bigsmile_face.gif
  Now to decide if I want to buy the Turtle Beach pads, or goof around with the stock ones...

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #296 of 698
Just pull on the the edge.  This pic might help you understand:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #297 of 698
Hey cash, are the pads on the efi the same as the mh463s? I tried out the pads on my technical pros and they fit loosely but the sparkle went up way up, they seemed to have lost the veil so I'm on the hunt for better fitting pads. velour if possible.. super comfy

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #298 of 698
[size=12pt]Pads for the Sony MDR-V700DJ fit the Somic's, basically the same headphone, and their are velours available, but spendy!  88mm, 3.5"![/size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #299 of 698
I got Hifiman leather pads for $25 (for e.g. the HE-500) to fit on the Somics:

I further padded the rim inside with tissue to further raise the pads to clear my ears and glasses completely.  (the hifiman pads, stock, touch the tips of my ears.  The stock Somic pads press on my ears hard, padded up with tissue they still press on my ears somewhat.)

It's a really loose fit but they're ooh-so comfortable and butch looking now, almost like mini Sony XB1000s with that huge-pad appearance.  Sonically it's fine too, it won't lose bass seal because of the loose fit.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 8, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #300 of 698
If I had more time on my hands I might get a pair an play wid em, but I'm so busy with School and work so I'll have to pass <3. That is ofc until some one does to these what was done to the Fostex t50Rp... and I'd be interested in buying a pair of these [after they are modded ;3]

I like my Mad Dogs, my only qualm is the logo will wear off soon... he should etch it into the very edge of the driver at least the name lol

still these might be the next MODDED MADNESS can for sale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back