The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,246 of 2,080
Don't know of many portable amps that can drive the HD580. The closest thing that comes to mind besides the O2 is the Schiit Magni at $99.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,247 of 2,080
The Leckerton UHA-6S MKII drives my HD600 very well.. even on low gain (with both the built-in Cirrus Logic DAC and/or the ODAC)

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,249 of 2,080
Having looked at Tyll's measurements of the HD 580 and HD 560 II - but having not heard them - what exactly is the difference sonically?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD580wHD600headband.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD560OvationII.pdf

To me it seems these graphs could just as well be from two phones of the same model exhibiting normal unit variation.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,251 of 2,080
My HD-580 has the HD 600 Grills, HD 650 Cable, and HD 650 Head Strap so far. But both sound different....listened to both
on my Essence STX with OpAmp Mod...my HD 650 are stock, sounding somehow more kind of "laidback"...hard to tell...and got a little more
Bass...i think.

May 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,253 of 2,080
Love these headphones have replaced nearly everything in them on the cheap over the last how ever many years "5-6?". 

Ruin cords .. cheap fix - cheaper than cheap headphones that cant be replaced and still have my high quality phones. 
replaced the headband - grills - drivers all for less than i used to spend on low quality headphones over the years. 

Even with the maybe 200 $ i've spent on them they are still by and far cheaper than i used to pay to replace cheap/mid grade phones from ruining cords or drivers dieing ect. 
I used to go through gaming headphones ect like mad before. have had these units for a good while and expect to keep them much longer. 

Cant put enough respect out for Sennheiser for these phones i love being able to replace cheap parts in a expensive headphone than have to replace the whole unit and i still get my quality sound as well. 

May 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,254 of 2,080
Posting some picture for Peter........Double Helix Cables Fusion, 6 feef of beautiful cable made from the new Fusion wire, and dressed in Yew Audio Neutrik plug and Y splitter that Clint made from exotic spalted curly maple that I hand picked for the grain resemplance of the silver and copper DHC Fusion wire, as the plug and Y split are rotated!

Pictured on my Sennheiser HD580's mint. The Fusion brings the bass of copper, and the smooth detailed sounds of silver. Now, I have many cables made from DHC Peptide, DHC Peptide Hybrid and DHC Nucleotide, but this one tops them all. A pretty wire to look at, with a memorable stunning sound that performs like magic. I can't find the words to describe how wonderful this wire sounds. My HD580's have the bass of the HD650's and the beautiful treble of my beloved Beyerdynamics DT880 600 ohm. Like having the best of two headphones in one. The cable still needs some burn in, but I am already enjoying the extreme detail, clarity, huge soundstage, and precise imaging.

Thanks to Peter for the sample! Enjoy the pictures, the cable really deserves a better camera, but you get the idea!

May 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,255 of 2,080
I just ordered a pair of HD600 grills from Sennheiser 2 days ago for $7.02 each and a HD650 cable for $12.xx, and the shipping for me was $5.xx. They're back ordered 4-5 weeks though :/ I was extremely surprised to hear the prices on those parts. If the 580 sounds just like the HD600 after those upgrades people would be crazy not to find a pair of 580's instead. I traded my DT880 Premium 250 ohm for this pair of 580's and prefer the sound of the 580 over them. The 880's cost a bit more than you can find the 580 for now too, even with ordering the upgraded parts.

May 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,256 of 2,080
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of HD600 grills from Sennheiser 2 days ago for $7.02 each and a HD650 cable for $12.xx, and the shipping for me was $5.xx. They're back ordered 4-5 weeks though :/ I was extremely surprised to hear the prices on those parts. If the 580 sounds just like the HD600 after those upgrades people would be crazy not to find a pair of 580's instead. I traded my DT880 Premium 250 ohm for this pair of 580's and prefer the sound of the 580 over them. The 880's cost a bit more than you can find the 580 for now too, even with ordering the upgraded parts.

I had both the HD600 and HD580, and to me they don't sound the same at all.  If you look at the Golden Ears review and graphs you will see that the mid bass is elevated on the HD600....I prefer the HD580, sold the HD600.  I like the DT880 600 ohm, better than the HD580, because of the highs.....however, I have both recabled, and I also have an Audio-GD NFB2 DAC, and listen only through my tube amp, the tube amp scales both headphones to a higher level.  Clarity on the DT880 is better for me!

May 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,257 of 2,080
Quote:

I had both the HD600 and HD580, and to me they don't sound the same at all.  If you look at the Golden Ears review and graphs you will see that the mid bass is elevated on the HD600....I prefer the HD580, sold the HD600.  I like the DT880 600 ohm, better than the HD580, because of the highs.....however, I have both recabled, and I also have an Audio-GD NFB2 DAC, and listen only through my tube amp, the tube amp scales both headphones to a higher level.  Clarity on the DT880 is better for me!

Totally agree with this. I prefer the 580 because it has more neutral bass. Less of a mid-bass hump. The mids are a little bit more forward IMO. Sounds slightly less muffled overall and this is due to the driver getting less air I think. You can actually mod the HD-600 to sound exactly like the HD-580.

Some say that the 580 has more resonance due to the plastic grill, but it sounds OK to me.

I bought a 580 expecting it to be an exact clone of the HD-600, but it's not. Some slight differences though and of course they use the same driver.

Both are the silver drivers..

May 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,258 of 2,080
Quote:

Did you have the original HD580 grills on them? The HD600 are more open so that would really affect the sound. I would think there would be more bass with the 580 because its more closed than the 600. I enjoy the sound of the 580, I'm really buying the HD600 grills for aesthetics, but if it improves the sound that's good too. haha I
m working on the looks of my 580's a lot actually. Stock they look so cheap compared to it's brothers, the 600 and 650. I've painted them a metallic dark grey already, ordered the 600 grills, ordered "Sennheiser" in white for the headband, and put a burgundy fabric over the headband pad so far. It's starting to look a little more elegant now. I can't wait for the grills :D 

May 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,259 of 2,080
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree with this. I prefer the 580 because it has more neutral bass. Less of a mid-bass hump. The mids are a little bit more forward IMO. Sounds slightly less muffled overall and this is due to the driver getting less air I think. You can actually mod the HD-600 to sound exactly like the HD-580.

Some say that the 580 has more resonance due to the plastic grill, but it sounds OK to me.

I bought a 580 expecting it to be an exact clone of the HD-600, but it's not. Some slight differences though and of course they use the same driver.

Both are the silver drivers..

To me the HD600 mids were more in my face, the 580 mids where they should be....but I did wire upgrades, and the tube amp!  The mid bass is elevated a few db in the HD600 compared to the 580, to me the 580 sounds more natural!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back