The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,216 of 2,080
I bought some about 2 months ago and had the part number when I called Sennseiser. Don't remember the part# but it's easy to find on google. They are $12 per side. I didn't think the changes were worth it IMO.
If you're weird like me you'll compare the differences. Try keeping on the HD-600 grills for one week and then switch back to the HD-580 grills the next.

I'll give it a shot.. I've had the HD600 grills my 580 practically since I got them.  I've also done the APSound mod (highly recommended, IME) & have a custom silver cable for it.  With the HD600 grills, APSound mod, silver cable, and a good neutral, transparent amp (i.e. any of the ones in my sig/profile).. I would best describe the sound as a baby "HE-500."

basshead.gif

The HD580/ loves tubes, too.. running it from the TD-11's tube out (with a budget Electro Harmonix tube that's slightly U-shaped in fq curve, very detailed, and smooth) makes for a very fun, immersive sound.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,217 of 2,080
Quote:

I'll give it a shot.. I've had the HD600 grills my 580 practically since I got them.  I've also done the APSound mod (highly recommended, IME) & have a custom silver cable for it.  With the HD600 grills, APSound mod, silver cable, and a good neutral, transparent amp (i.e. any of the ones in my sig/profile).. I would best describe the sound as a baby "HE-500."

basshead.gif

The HD580/ loves tubes, too.. running it from the TD-11's tube out (with a budget Electro Harmonix tube that's slightly U-shaped in fq curve, very detailed, and smooth) makes for a very fun, immersive sound.

Yes... in that configuration, better than the HE-500's that I had... and... better than the O2's I had by quite a margin!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,218 of 2,080
Quote:

basshead.gif

Yes... in that configuration, better than the HE-500's that I had... and... better than the O2's I had by quite a margin!

Glad you're enjoying them as much as I am!  This HD580 config is fantastic.. but I don't feel it bests the HE-500 (when driven appropriately)... at least to my ears.  For those who want to hear something that approximates the HE-500 in clarity, detail, timbre, and sound signature, this HD580 rig is about as close as I've heard.

BTW, my HD580 pairs wonderfully with the Objective2.  Clarity, neutrality, control, and detail is unreal.  You still get that lovely 'Senn' smoothness but it's ultra-refined.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #1,220 of 2,080
Quote:
Is there any way to restore the sennheiser logo on the hd580 headband? Or maybe I should just give them a custom paint job?

Carefully make a stencil from masking tape and spray paint it? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,222 of 2,080
Just got some modded HD580 from a forum member here. The sound is wonderful, but I don't know if I just have big ears or need to replace the ear pads, because my ears feel crammed inside these cans. They actually start to hurt after listening for a while because the tops of my ears are smushed up against the drivers.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,223 of 2,080
Quote:
Just got some modded HD580 from a forum member here. The sound is wonderful, but I don't know if I just have big ears or need to replace the ear pads, because my ears feel crammed inside these cans. They actually start to hurt after listening for a while because the tops of my ears are smushed up against the drivers.

modded? What mods? Wasn't aware of any HD-580 mods except for the HD-600 grills replacement, but I don't consider that a mod.

You could try to stretch out the headband lightly or leave it expanded slightly overnight to stretch it out. I'd be worried about breaking it though.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,224 of 2,080
Quote:
modded? What mods? Wasn't aware of any HD-580 mods except for the HD-600 grills replacement, but I don't consider that a mod.

You could try to stretch out the headband lightly or leave it expanded slightly overnight to stretch it out. I'd be worried about breaking it though.

I'm referring to this mod:
http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

I think I just need to replace the ear pads. They're a little flat.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,225 of 2,080
Quote:
I'm referring to this mod:
http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

I think I just need to replace the ear pads. They're a little flat.

That's probably your problem. The HD580 is one of the few cans that doesn't touch my ear with the drivers.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,228 of 2,080
Hell yeah, I'm rocking the same combo, except I've got the stock 650 cable and 600 grills on mine. I'm loving the NFB 12.1 though, it's a great match for the HD600.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,229 of 2,080
Hi, I this is very late but I own a 580 and the had band actually broke so it does not hold the cups in place any longer. Anyone have suggestions?????

oh and I was wondering where hd 600 grills could be purchased

Users who are viewing this thread

Back