The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #1,156 of 2,080
Add another to the HD 580 appreciation list. I bought these headphones about 4-5 years ago and they have remained one of the most versatile and useful pairs of headphones in my collection. I especially find them perfect for my vinyl setup and even though I appreciate my other headphones too, I generally find the HD 580 to have the best all-around balance for most of what I listen to. Well, I figured it's time to try something new again so I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros recently. Hopefully those will offer a new perspective but trying to find something that seems like an overall upgrade from the 580s has been pretty tough so far.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #1,157 of 2,080

Quote:
Sounds absolutely brilliant. Does it have power windows and ABS brakes as well?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yes.
L3000.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,159 of 2,080

I imagine you'll have to buy them used. If you want new, just get the hd600....they're essentially the same FWIR....same drivers anyway. I just picked up a set of old 580's off ebay and I couldn't be happier with them 
Quote:
Anyone know where to buy these nowadays?

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,161 of 2,080
Used 580's and 600's pop up often on ebay. The prices can be a bit steep, especially for a used 600. The for sale forum here is a good place to look too. I've seen used 580's go for around $150 most of the time. I paid a bit less on ebay, but had to wait a while for a good deal to turn up.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #1,163 of 2,080
Do drivers wear out or change sound over time? I have a pair of HD580 that were refurbished. The housing is like new but I don't know how old the drivers are. They've been making the 580 since 1993 IIRC, so the drivers could be almost 20 years old. Will an old pair of drivers sound the same as new?

I've been thinking, if the ever discontinue the HD600, it might be a good idea to for me to buy a pair of drivers so I could continue to get good sound for a long time without breaking the bank.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #1,164 of 2,080
Just joined the club, loving them so far, more my type of sound than my previously owned hd650. After a nice long journey, these are the closest I've heard of what I'm looking for. It's a fusion of grado's with the hd650, with the detail of the k701.

Loving the separation, and imagining. :) Happy towm.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,165 of 2,080
Congrats....I share some of the same feelings about the 580s.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Just joined the club, loving them so far, more my type of sound than my previously owned hd650. After a nice long journey, these are the closest I've heard of what I'm looking for. It's a fusion of grado's with the hd650, with the detail of the k701.

Loving the separation, and imagining. :) Happy towm.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,166 of 2,080
Just snapped up a used pair for $175. They should be here by Thursday 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,167 of 2,080
Just got mine today. Other than the headband cushioning needing replacement, they are in great shape, especially considering they are well over 10 years old. Needless to say, I won't be needing to upgrade for a while.

They sound great out of my home theater receiver (Sony GX800ES, 1994 model), as well as my Headroom Total Bithead and even from my PA2V2.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #1,168 of 2,080
Dear Head-Fi community,

For my first post, I want to express my most sincerest gratitude!

You have opened my eyes as to what audio should sound like. I began my audio journey this time last year (I had some really crappy Skullcandy DJ's paired with onboard audio). A friend of mine recommended to me that I invest in better headphones, since I was going through the "oh snap, the right side of my headphone died in less than 8 months, damn! Why does this always happen?" He lent me his Audio Technica ATH-M40fs, and I was immediately blown away at the sound difference. From there I read more about headphones, and concluded that an open ear headphone would render a better quality to my ears. From there, I bought my first pair of legitimate headphones, the Sennheiser HD 555's. The very day I got them, I performed not only the foam mod, but also the soundstage mod (thanks to the tutorial found on this very site 
cool.gif
).

I used those for over six months, and then I found some Sennheiser HD 580's on ebay for $90. I bought a Fiio E9 to drive them, performed the usual mods (650 cable, 600 grills), and I must say they MELT my ears haha. Surprisingly, I am amazed at how close the modded HD 555's sound (there is a definite difference however) to the HD 580's.

My current audio chain consists of the following:

FLAC > foobar2000 > ASUS Xonar DX ASIO (using Xonar Uni Low DPC latency drivers) > Fiio E9 > Sennheiser HD 650 cable > Sennheiser HD 580 (w/foam mod, to remove veil)

Not to mention that when I play 5.1 movies, enabling Dolby Headphones is a MIND = Blown experience.

I want to say that music got me through undergraduate studies, but accurate sounding music will get me through medical school when i pursue it in a year or two. So again, from a newbie standing on the shoulder of giants (the glorious members of this beautiful community) I give my most sincerest gratitude to Head-Fi for opening my eyes and saving me from craptacular audio. It's a whole new world 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #1,169 of 2,080
I'll chime in..I've had my HD580's for 9 years and they are great. I've tried many other headphones but I keep coming back to these. They are just so easy to listen to, non-fatiguing, musical, but with so much detail! What more needs to be said! Best $115 I ever spent (on audio or elsewhere perhaps).

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,170 of 2,080
Just an update:

I recently got a Hifiman EF2A with NOS matched Raytheon 6AK5 tubes. I'm really pleased with this combo 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back