The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #721 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the non-portable project, I might build a home-version of the mini^3, the M^3, a PIMETA, β22, or something else - I have not decided yet, but I am in no hurry either
biggrin.gif

Will

Another one to consider for a desktop amp for the HD580 is the CKKIII....decently inexpensive and Senn guys seem to love the synergy. I've been bouncing back and forth between building the CKKIII or the mini^3 but I think I've decided to stick with the mini^3....at least at first.

What do the HD600 grills from SennheiserUSA run? Seems the HD650 cable is around $12, 1/4-1/8 adapter around $5. Anyone know off-hand?

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #722 of 2,080
Just got my HD580s this morning. They are everything I was hoping they would be and they haven't even been burned in yet. Superb, smooth sound, very accurate acoustic string sound, convincing soundstage, nothing at all offensive about them. I have finally found a headphone for classical that doesn't have me wishing for more. And it's the only headphone I have tried with classical that does not make me miss a top notch, small stand mount speaker such as the LS35A or Royd Sorcerer. My HD555 phones are still good - and i will still use them for listening on my PC and for television, but if I compare the HD580 to a $2000 pair of stand mounts (that is how good I think they are when used with Dolby Headphone!), the HD555 are like a good pair of $500 stand mounts.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #723 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my HD580s this morning. They are everything I was hoping they would be and they haven't even been burned in yet. Superb, smooth sound, very accurate acoustic string sound, convincing soundstage, nothing at all offensive about them. I have finally found a headphone for classical that doesn't have me wishing for more. And it's the only headphone I have tried with classical that does not make me miss a top notch, small stand mount speaker such as the LS35A or Royd Sorcerer. My HD555 phones are still good - and i will still use them for listening on my PC and for television, but if I compare the HD580 to a $2000 pair of stand mounts (that is how good I think they are when used with Dolby Headphone!), the HD555 are like a good pair of $500 stand mounts.

New 580's!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #724 of 2,080
Wow I just got my Hd580s from Brian and they sound amazing! Similar to what ADD said, however, I only have the KSC75s for comparison. The sound is generally smoother and clearer, but most of all it feels less harsh to listen to.

I can't believe these will only sound better! On the other hand it really makes me appreciate the bargain the KSC75s are, for their price they're actually remotely comparable to the HD580s.

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #725 of 2,080
Heh, for the month or two after I got my HD580s my KSC75s were unlistenable.

Try the LOTR soundtrack, sounds phenomenal on Senns to me.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #726 of 2,080
I've been without my 580s for almost two months because of a broken headband. They sound so "right" after the layoff that I just might sell my 701s.

Quote "What do the HD600 grills from SennheiserUSA run? Seems the HD650 cable is around $12, 1/4-1/8 adapter around $5. Anyone know off-hand?"

A: About $7.00 each. Shipping is a flat rate $5.00, so why not pick up a $650 cable at the same time?

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #727 of 2,080
Thanks for that. I certainly will be picking up the full gambit of Senn parts when the time comes. For now, I'll just enjoy listening to them as is, complete with that unburned-in sound.

Fex-Ex says they are sitting on the front porch at home. Counting the minutes.......

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #728 of 2,080
They're making that cool dot-dash-dot-dash impression on my head right now. The openness/soundstage is almost distracting as I've never heard anything quite like this. I feel like I want to turn up the volume to get it more in my head but I'm resisting....not passing any judgments of any kind before I get the closed can/iGrado profile out of my near memory.

First impressions though - very well built, ahh.....circumaural, feels like I have two very lightweight floor speakers hanging on the sides of my head (soundwise, not weight/comfort wise). I'm giddy about growing with them, hearing them 'burn in', upgrading with the mini^3 amp that's on the way. There's something comforting about knowing you're at least at the threshold of the best of the best and not immediately thinking "ok, this is great, but what about X or Y".

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #729 of 2,080
I just got a hold of these off of craigslist for 100$ in great shape! These puppies can sing man! I like my grado's but these are super smooth. RLembke, I know what you mean about turning up the volume, I did just a tad, but they sound great even from my crappy PC. Time to work on a good amp/source combo.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #730 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejbejb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the 650s better?

The 650's are more just different as opposed to necessarily better. For the price difference the 580's are the way to go. I have the 580, 600 and 650's and find myself klistening to the 580 a lot more than the 650's. Just my input.
My favorite are actually the 600's which are very close to the 580's which are a bit brighter. They are basicly all the same headphones.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #731 of 2,080
I am using a reterminated D5000 stock cable with the 580's which is the headphone
I am using the majority of the time regardless the 600's and the 650's I have. There's a certain special thing about the 580's that keeps me grabbing fior them first. Now with my new reterminated Denon D5000 cable tio them they are my favorite listen these days. I'm glad I bought a pair before they disappeared. I would not know where to find another new pair for $140 anymore.
I noticed them available for $299 at one place and can't find them elswhere. They're just different enough from the
600's to justify owning both even though in theory they are the same. They are different. Both excellent. The 650's have their place but are not the best of the three.I'dactually rate them
600->650->580->600 . They ar all good in their own way. There's something about a fresh pair of 600's with a Cardas cable.

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #732 of 2,080
well....Senn Canada seems to have run out of HD600/650 grills

anyone want to sell me a set?

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #734 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Site playing up at present but thats where I got mine in the past.

By playing up do you mean that when loading a page for spare parts you just get an emtpy (blank) page? Because that is what is happening with me.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #735 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By playing up do you mean that when loading a page for spare parts you just get an emtpy (blank) page? Because that is what is happening with me.

Thats what I found too. Just email them if you have to. I know they have them, as I got the HD650 cable together all for under $50 AUD. Here in Australia it seems not many modify the HD580 to the same extent as others so the parts are there if you look in the right places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back