The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,966 of 2,080
So now that Sennheiser has been SOLD to some damn hearing aid company, who seems to have no interest in supplying parts via the internet, does anyone know where I can get some good old stock HD 650 cables and earcup grilles for my aging 580's? :)
I wonder if senn will be introducing more BA driver products

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #1,967 of 2,080
I'm sad that the original pre 2021 revision pads from sennheiser aren't going to be available anymore. The new revision just doesn't seem to capture the magic tonality of my 580 Black Silk like the OG's did. The mids are a little recessed and the treble quality is generally worse. Thinking about trying some ZMF's now since I dont enjoy the new pads as much.

Just to make sure, if you're comparing new pads against the ones you have been using the differences are likely down to wear.

I like the Dekoni hybrids on all my 300 ohm Sennheisers, especially the 580.

Any significant differences vs stock pads in terms of sq?

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,968 of 2,080
Any significant differences vs stock pads in terms of sq?
We’ll, I’m a listener, not a measurer, and it’s been a long time since I’ve heard them with the original stock pads and my pads were at dome unknown level of wear when I changed them and I’ve never heard them with the current version of the stock pads, so take my personal opinion as just that but, with all that said, yes, I thought the Dekoni hybrids were an across the board improvement on the 580s, smoothing things out and warming them up just a bit, while imparting just a bit more liveliness into the proceedings. My 580s Aldi have the rear foam removed and metal grilles from the 600s, so even more variables, and I doubt my ears snd head are identical to yours, so more variables still. Certainly, they look and feel richer than the originals, and imho, are just as comfortable. Plus, you get 15 or 30 days to decide if YOU like them in YOUR setup, which, truly, is the only way you’re ever going to know for certain.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #1,970 of 2,080
We’ll, I’m a listener, not a measurer, and it’s been a long time since I’ve heard them with the original stock pads and my pads were at dome unknown level of wear when I changed them and I’ve never heard them with the current version of the stock pads, so take my personal opinion as just that but, with all that said, yes, I thought the Dekoni hybrids were an across the board improvement on the 580s, smoothing things out and warming them up just a bit, while imparting just a bit more liveliness into the proceedings. My 580s Aldi have the rear foam removed and metal grilles from the 600s, so even more variables, and I doubt my ears snd head are identical to yours, so more variables still. Certainly, they look and feel richer than the originals, and imho, are just as comfortable. Plus, you get 15 or 30 days to decide if YOU like them in YOUR setup, which, truly, is the only way you’re ever going to know for certain.

Thorough mentioning of all the variables. Good one. And excellent return policy! I shall probably have a pair incoming soon enough.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,971 of 2,080
Anyone noticed the prices of used HD580s. £250-350 for raised nameplate versions. I remember someone selling a flat plate for £150 and finding little interest in it. I was almost tempted to get a second one. People used to get Jubilees for this sort of money. I suppose it's lack of availability more than the exquisite sound quality. Wish Sennheiser would start remanufacturing the early versions again although there's not much chance of that ever happening (or offer them as kits).

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,973 of 2,080
Where do you see such prices?
On the fleabay, worldwide.
Are they asking prices or are people actually paying that much for these headphones?
Well they often disappear but that doesn't of course mean a sale. I'm just surprised so many people would sell their HD580s.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,974 of 2,080
I'm just surprised so many people would sell their HD580s.

Sometimes when i buy old headphones the seller says it is from relatives who died. For the seller they just are a pair of old headphones. Sometimes they even can't tell you if the headphones work because the big 6.3mm plug does not fit in their phone or tablet.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,975 of 2,080
Anyone noticed the prices of used HD580s. £250-350 for raised nameplate versions. I remember someone selling a flat plate for £150 and finding little interest in it. I was almost tempted to get a second one. People used to get Jubilees for this sort of money. I suppose it's lack of availability more than the exquisite sound quality. Wish Sennheiser would start remanufacturing the early versions again although there's not much chance of that ever happening (or offer them as kits).

I've noticed the increase too. I think a bunch are basing their price on a quick look around online without realizing there is such a thing as flat nameplate models for example. Or without realizing condition, original parts and box included is meaningful. I still have not compared my flat plate to raised but willing to bet differences are (very) small.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,976 of 2,080
I still have not compared my flat plate to raised but willing to bet differences are (very) small.
I would say (and have said), there a quite a few subtle differences that add up. With short exposure they’re almost the same product.
Sometimes they even can't tell you if the headphones work because the big 6.3mm plug does not fit in their phone or tablet.
In some cases however I remember that many HD580s had 3.5mm terminations with a 6.3mm adapter (that often gets lost). This is the irony of these high prices and overseas postage, that somewhere in a junk shop the same thing is available for £10.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #1,977 of 2,080
Just to make sure, if you're comparing new pads against the ones you have been using the differences are likely down to wear.

I actually have a close to new condition pair of NOS and new revision pads, so the differences arent down to wear. I can adjust to the new revision, but its still not quite the same.

I would say (and have said), there a quite a few subtle differences that add up. With short exposure they’re almost the same product.

Since then I came to the same early conclusion as @xzackly7. As I heard it the stock pads Sennheiser is selling nowadays (transparent oval back) are clearly mellowing down the sound compared to the old ones (solid black oval back) on which most of the impressions and opinions are based. Tried on a new HD600 and a marble HD600.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #1,978 of 2,080
I actually have a close to new condition pair of NOS and new revision pads, so the differences arent down to wear. I can adjust to the new revision, but its still not quite the same.
There may be something to the pads. I remember trying two different older HD 660 S and I got a strange fatigue that made me dizzy and I tried them over a year apart on different systems with the same result.

I tried a brand new one at length recently and it doesn’t have that effect at all and also sound slightly different than I recall the other two sounding, they’re more mellow in the upper mids than I recall and they don’t seem to have that strange void in the treble I remember the old pairs having. While sound memory may be iffy the memory of the fatigue is not. So something changed and I know there was a pad change so I’m assuming that’s what it is.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #1,979 of 2,080
Since then I came to the same early conclusion as @xzackly7. As I heard it the stock pads Sennheiser is selling nowadays (transparent oval back) are clearly mellowing down the sound compared to the old ones (solid black oval back) on which most of the impressions and opinions are based. Tried on a new HD600 and a marble HD600.
Personally, I prefer the Dekoni hybrids to stock on all my Senns (580:600/650), although I have NOT tried the new style Senn pads on anything but a pair of 660S which I tried rejected after a week as being no improvement and, if anything, slightly less involving than any of the 580/600/650. The biggest improvement to my 580s was replacing the plastic grilles with metal 600 grilles. Not only does that simple modification make them sound more natural (less plasticky), but they look badass that way. At the moment, the 580’s are my favorite of the three - and mine are from the mid-90’s, bought new for under $200 when the 600 first came out, so they are not even the fabled flat logo version. They are as neutral as the 600s, but much more lively and involving, and without the slight caramel coloration of the 650 (not a bad thing - the 650s are still a GREAT listen imho, highly musically involving, just not quite as neutral as it’s siblings).

Of course, the 580’s spend most of their time in my desktop set up - OG Burson HA-160DS (early Conductor SL), with built in USB dac that has a way of making anything I plug into it sound its best. But that’f be a discussion for a different thread…
5E96FD26-D66A-48A3-B316-7ABEDB13A100.jpeg

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,980 of 2,080
Hi all , what's the difference between the 580 with raised or non raised logo just above the ear cup. Mine are raised and black colour , I see some are grey and both types .....

Attachments

• 20220708_093319.jpg
    20220708_093319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back