The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,861 of 2,080
20210330_170215.jpg

I've been wanting to get one of the 300 ohm Senns to complement my 660S, so I decided to up this pair of HD580's (black silk, originally bought in 1998) as it was one of the 6x0 family I hadn't heard yet. And boy am I glad I did! Definitely the most neutral, natural and smooth sounding Senn I've heard thus far. These strike a wonderful balance in the upper mids where it's not as shouty as the 600/650 can sometimes be, but without sounding too laid-back. They sound wonderful, especially from my Euforia with quad KT88's.

Although the 660S does have the advantage when it comes to soundstage depth and imaging, it's impressive to learn just how well the 580 still holds its own in today's market. Hard to imagine they're more than 2 decades old.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #1,863 of 2,080
Why would the HD600 be shouty vs the 580? They use the same drivers.
There have been numerous driver revisions throughout the lifecycle of both. So even if at some point in time the 600 and 580 shared a common driver, the drivers used in the modern-day 600's are definitely not the same as the ones used in any of the 580's. Besides, the 580 and 600 were voiced differently, so sharing a common driver still won't mean that they'll sound the same.

For reference, here's the FR of an HD600 (source)
d06faf334e10f2231650f81b36bda9c6.png

And here's the FR of an HD580 (source)
1587533586fa5414ba53b47abcbccb44.png

These measurements clearly show markedly more forwardness in the lower treble of the HD600 compared to the 580, and this supports my subjective assessment as well.

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,865 of 2,080
Man I am SO happy I got this. I'm new to the hobby; I got into hifi phones in may and first got the 650, I like it but I found several problems with it for me (treble/veil, mid bass bloat, being too laid back in general) a guy on Sonic visions recommended I try the 580, and I'm so happy. Cymbals sound GREAT now, everything is less bloated, I like the mids more, just all around better for me. My plan is to now get a pair of Audeze cans and use the 580 to supplement them as they're both way lighter and I like their amazing Timbre. I think they will complement each other super well. Mine are in great condition too.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,866 of 2,080
Man I am SO happy I got this. I'm new to the hobby; I got into hifi phones in may and first got the 650, I like it but I found several problems with it for me (treble/veil, mid bass bloat, being too laid back in general) a guy on Sonic visions recommended I try the 580, and I'm so happy. Cymbals sound GREAT now, everything is less bloated, I like the mids more, just all around better for me. My plan is to now get a pair of Audeze cans and use the 580 to supplement them as they're both way lighter and I like their amazing Timbre. I think they will complement each other super well. Mine are in great condition too.
This is exactly what I have done and I use the two sets of cans for different purposes. I have the Audeze LCD 1s and they are so revealing that sometimes certain recordings are hard to listen to. This is where the 580s come into their own as they are a little more forgiving than the Audeze's. I wouldn't part with either of them.

NB - I agree with you regarding the 650s and I'm driving them with quite powerful amplification.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,867 of 2,080
I always thought that HD580 and HD600 use the same plastic headband, only with different color schemes. It turns out that they are actually different shape - 580 headband is wider. When I compared the pre-2019 marble HD600 (with silver drivers), I immediately noticed a much stronger clamp force. Both the 580 and 600 were bought already used, but since the 580 are much older and probably have been used by at least a couple of owners when I got them, I assumed that was the reason they do not clamp as hard as 600 anymore.

I've got to say that I definitely prefer the 580 headband shape - I adjusted the clamp force by carefully bending the metal parts of the yokes to my liking, and now they have just the right amount of clamp for my head. Also, might be anecdotal, but I think this has also helped to reduce the ear pad wear a bit.

When I still had my 600 and tried to reduce the clamp on them, I just couldn't make them as comfortable as my 580 - no matter how many times I tried to bend the metal parts, the shape of the plastic headband simply did not allow to reduce the clamp to my liking. Out of curiosity, I transplanted the 600 metal yokes together with driver capsules onto my 580 headband, and - surprise - they were as comfortable as my 580.

Anyway, I've got curious about the new Romanian HD600 when I read a couple of opinions (don't remember if it was here on head-fi or some other forum) claiming that the new revision 600 are a bit more comfortable than the pre-2019 marble version. I started wondering: although very unlikely, but maybe Sennheiser changed the headband shape a bit? Does anyone here have a Romanian 600 and could maybe share their impressions?

Attachments

• 580headband001.jpg
    580headband001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband002.jpg
    580headband002.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband003.jpg
    580headband003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband004.jpg
    580headband004.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband005.jpg
    580headband005.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband006.jpg
    580headband006.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband007.jpg
    580headband007.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 580headband008.jpg
    580headband008.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,868 of 2,080
I always thought that HD580 and HD600 use the same plastic headband, only with different color schemes. It turns out that they are actually different shape - 580 headband is wider. When I compared the pre-2019 marble HD600 (with silver drivers), I immediately noticed a much stronger clamp force. Both the 580 and 600 were bought already used, but since the 580 are much older and probably have been used by at least a couple of owners when I got them, I assumed that was the reason they do not clamp as hard as 600 anymore.

I've got to say that I definitely prefer the 580 headband shape - I adjusted the clamp force by carefully bending the metal parts of the yokes to my liking, and now they have just the right amount of clamp for my head. Also, might be anecdotal, but I think this has also helped to reduce the ear pad wear a bit.
Hi there, I have a 580 and a few 600’s and 650’s, 580J and HE60 and all headband dimensions (arc) are the same.

Chances are the plastic of yours loosened with time, athe arc widened simply.

I once bought a marble HD600 from 2014 which was heavily used and had no more clamping force, and the headband plastic had noticeably widened.

I cannot comment on the made in Romania 600, but I did have a Romanian 660S briefly and it also felt/ looked to be within traditional spec.

The main cause for clamping force in these headphones is actually due to the aluminum plate sliders. If they get bent out of shape, this will eventually warp the headband plastic.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #1,869 of 2,080

When I still had my 600 and tried to reduce the clamp on them, I just couldn't make them as comfortable as my 580 - no matter how many times I tried to bend the metal parts, the shape of the plastic headband simply did not allow to reduce the clamp to my liking. Out of curiosity, I transplanted the 600 metal yokes together with driver capsules onto my 580 headband, and - surprise - they were as comfortable as my 580.

Anyway, I've got curious about the new Romanian HD600 when I read a couple of opinions (don't remember if it was here on head-fi or some other forum) claiming that the new revision 600 are a bit more comfortable than the pre-2019 marble version. I started wondering: although very unlikely, but maybe Sennheiser changed the headband shape a bit? Does anyone here have a Romanian 600 and could maybe share their impressions?

Thanks.

I always thought that metal sliders? were much more stretched out on HD580 compared to HD650 (very old one).
But thinking that due to larger radius (smaller bent, probably I bent looser?) on HD580 headband.
And your phots looks just like mine and surprised to know that the length seems to be different from actual photos.

However, after dleblanc343-san's comment, I measured them.
And yeah, both had approximaely 217mm at the top side edge to edge measured by cloth scale fitting on them.
So, only difference are their bent.

But I am not sure why but my HD580 has larger radius (smaller bent) like your's compared to HD650 as well.
Were there some metal support inside the headbands?

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,870 of 2,080
Hi there, I have a 580 and a few 600’s and 650’s, 580J and HE60 and all headband dimensions (arc) are the same.

Chances are the plastic of yours loosened with time, athe arc widened simply.

Yeah, it seems that you are right - after another brief comparison I've come to the same conclusion that the headbands are indeed the same. I think I was misled by the rigidness of the plastic because it felt that it be should be strong enough so that metal sliders won't be able to widen/warp it. I guess the fact that the plastic gets warped over time is also the reason why older 580/600/650 usually have chipped paint on the headband.

I have managed to carefully bend the 600 to the 580 width, and it is clear that the dimensions and shape (when new) are the same. I can definitely feel that the 600 headband has strong resistance and doesn't want to stay to the same width as the 580 simply because it is basically a brand new headband. Bending back the 580 headband to the 600 width was also possible but it obviously would not want to stay that way because it has been already loosened too much throughout the years.

But I am not sure why but my HD580 has larger radius (smaller bent) like your's compared to HD650 as well.
Were there some metal support inside the headbands?

The headbands do not have any metal support inside them. The construction of the headband consists entirely of plastic and the only metal parts are the yokes/adjustment sliders.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,871 of 2,080
Rekindling my love affair with the old HD580 Precision - throwing everything from Boards Of Canada to King Crimson and Pharoah Sanders at this old thing and it never sounds like a headphone! Music is just ‘present’ - it flows and I really don’t think about anything other than the album at hand. It takes me away. Quite literally.
Sure..up against the HD600…there is…err is this the same headphone?? Nahh…there is a very very slight ‘ethereal vibe’ going on with the HD580..but I remember them sounding more…different! …and I realise that I have brand spanking new pads on the 600 vs the old fluffy ones on the 580.
Be that as it may..the biggest difference to me is the worn out headband and the added comfort this brings. Add to that, it also seems to give the illusion of a ‘bigger stage’. Those are not my words but my buddies’. I think soundstage in headphones is like comparing biceps on bunnies…but having said that; comfort also leads to the crucial part about forgetting the headphones and slipping into the music…and when that happens the ‘stage’ becomes so much more vivid and grand:)
I thought I’d share this family photo of the 4 6 series Sennie members in my house. I recently sold off the 660 actually..which granted would have made this shot a smidgen more complete..but I prefer the 58X out of the new kids on the block. The two are more similar than not from the mids and up, but I feel the warmth of the 58X makes the treble peak/edge more palatable and exciting, whereas it can get a little hot on the 660.
My two go-to’s though have always been the 580 and the 600. The 650 is for poor production jobs and when I’m really tired..but man does it ever do it’s job to perfection. I own a lot of old school prog rock from all over the globe, some of which sounds like it was recorded inside a tinfoil skip…yet over the 650 I can simply gloss over all of that and experience Goosebumps City.
When music is recorded well…hell just even ok..then the 580/600 delivers..in spades. There’s a natural fullness to the sound that squeezes every bit of important musical information out of the recording..in a smooth way. The treble makes cymbals go katjing and not katjIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...which is something I personally dig.
Nahh. With these Sennies..the old guard that is..you get natural sound. What Axel Grell intended to be Sennheiser’s dynamic take on the mighty Orpheus..and they did it!
I think many folks are falsely lured into pricey and nonsensical alleyways of this hobby simply because of design..how something looks..and feels…and looking at a 25 year old 580 vs say an Abyss AB-1266 TC, a Focal Utopia or a ZMF Verité the former almost invariably ends up looking like a toy.
Yet I vastly prefer the sound of the Sennheiser. It just sounds more realistic and true to life…and well in this insane hobby there is something quite heartwarming and sobering - verging on the absurd - about owning a 25 year old headphone that still plays ball with the best/priciest of em.
The family photo:

3033D0B8-1CAF-4CC7-A737-9136C664FEF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,873 of 2,080
How would you compare the 58x to the 580?
If I can comment, owning both, keep in mind the HD58X is using the 500 series drivers in a 600 series enclosure, so it sounds quite different.

It’s quite veiled up top, and more punch than any 600 series, with less sub bass roll off but also less textured bass or details throughout the spectrum. It also does not have an airy treble as the 580 does so very well.

I would consider the 58X a great beginner headphone for someone who may not necessarily have a dedicated headphone amp/ dac.

The HD580 can be described as being extremely neutral, life-like timbre and musical reproduction with low bass strongly rolled off and a tastefully smooth tone, yet sparkly and detailed when called upon. It’s literally one of the best tuned headphones still to this day, but is limited by its technical abilities compared to modern headphones at $500+.

That being said, this is nowhere near $500, so it’s a tremendous audiophile piece of gear that many head-fiers should consider in their collection.

Cheers,

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #1,874 of 2,080
Thanks! That's a terrific description. It gives me a pretty good sense of the 58x compared to the 580.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,875 of 2,080
The HD58X does NOT use 5 series drivers. The drivers stem from the HD700 - just like the ones that sit in the 660. They are not precisely the same but it’s clear they come from the same family. Look up a frequency response of both and it becomes fairly evident as the two headphones look almost identical from the mids and up through the treble. Same damping factor and sensitivity as well. Think the difference between HD600 and HD650.
The 58X accomplishes this feat of having somewhat pricey drivers inside a tremendously cheap headphone by skipping a couple of steps in the production line…aka there is no view of the drivers. Instead of having to pretty up the drivers Sennheiser threw some acoustically transparent foam in the cups…and we ended up with yet another 6 series headphone..somewhat in disguise.
‘The headphone says 58X!!!! Must be related to the 5 series then’
Well it belongs about as much in the 5 series as the classic 580 Precision does:wink:
To me it sounds like a more exciting Sennheiser with better and tighter bass quality and reach down low. Like the 660 it rolls back the uppermids ever so slightly and gives off the same ‘exciting’ treble performance…but as mentioned earlier: the 58X is a tad warmer in the bass, and at least to me, sounds better and more inviting than it’s daddyo. Both headphones share the same edgy treble..but it’s only over the 660 that it gets hot and irritating for me.
The 58X is like a more refined ZMF Aeolus. I’ve a/b’ed the two quite extensively (my old friend owns the Aeolus) and find the Sennheiser to be the better headphone. They are both tuned with warmth and linearity in mind but it’s the cheapo Drop kid that sounds the most realistic and true to life per my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back