The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 24, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #5,236 of 5,928
Steady mates - I have some stateside anectdotal news.

I received in today's mail an invoice from Sennheiser USA for $163.28 PAID for part # 532758 HD800 Cable. They never bill me until the part has shipped.

Based on past Senn orders, that means the cable will be at my door THIS Tuesday or Wednesday, since the lag is usually no longer than a couple of days.

Looks like the eagle is landing.

May 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #5,238 of 5,928
Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto just emailed me, saying they'll have them in next week, for a price of $1750 Cdn (I wasn't too far off with my $2k crack, LOL)

May 24, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #5,240 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by suikodenii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been there today. Sennheiser was taking reservations for people to listen in to a comparison of the Orpheus HE90 vs the HD800 (w/ a Lehmann Linear BC amp) in a separate quiet room. Both running from the same source a T&A CD player for side by side comparison.
Unfortunately each group could only spend little time (I was able to listen to 2songs twice, once on each HP).
I actually did like the HD800 quite a lot even though I was not familiar with the music played, very detailed and neutral and a nice soundstage.
I liked the Orpheus even better though, however the comparison was probably not fair as the Orpheus' has its own tube amp.
The bottom end of the HD800 I found - to my suprise - similar to the Orpheus, which is an electrostatic HP. However, difficult to say as I was not familiar with the tracks played.
Comment from Sennheiser was this fair was now the offical launch of the HD800, retail in Germany is 999 €.

Thanks for the news and impressions

May 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5,241 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto just emailed me, saying they'll have them in next week, for a price of $1750 Cdn (I wasn't too far off with my $2k crack, LOL)

WOW, gratz. Can't wait to read what you think!

Assuming you ordered a pair?

May 24, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #5,242 of 5,928
These aren't limited are they? They would do better to make them a constant new tear headphone. I want these but I dont have the cash atm. I will for after my birthday though.

I missed out on every amazing can so far. I want L3000 and HD800 that's all.
frown.gif

Since Im guessing HD800 is the closest to the Orpheus and baby orpheus that can ever be attained NEW.

May 24, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #5,243 of 5,928
So it's finally going to be here?
... and now to wait a month for an honest review that isnt looking for good things to say about it or choosing what bad things to tell and then another two months for some to turn up in the FS section...
Still, cant help but hope that this is the first step towards a future that will revolutionize the way we all listen to music. It sure is an exciting time, particularly what will come after if it is as magical as they say.
There is the strong possibility in my mind at least that it will not live up to the hype; especially considering how powerful the hype is and how hit-and-miss sennheiser has been IMO.

I'd like to pass it off as FOTM right now, but it's been going on for a long time already (thank-you clever marketing).

I loathe to hear more, and yet I cannot wait to hear initial impressions from those without business-ties and brand-allegiance and with ears that have tasted many-a-fruit.

May 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5,244 of 5,928
That's amazing.
if they read head fi then they would know there is enough market.
plus is 10 times bigger than a few years ago.
plus Sennheiser ang Grado are releasing headphones that cost 1000$ or more.
they would be stupid not to make the new K1000 version
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My connection at Harmon/AKG is gone, but before he left he said that they have already done development work on an updated version of the K1000's. AKG/Harmon just needs to decide that there is enough of a market to justify their production. Remember the K1000's didn't exactly set the world on fire from a sales standpoint. They are so different that it limits their marketability.

He said that they have no imminent plans to produce it, but it is brought up at marketing meetings and at some point it could be green lighted.

Don't hold your breath though.

May 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #5,245 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received in today's mail an invoice from Sennheiser USA for $163.28 PAID for part # 532758 HD800 Cable. They never bill me until the part has shipped.

Based on past Senn orders, that means the cable will be at my door THIS Tuesday or Wednesday, since the lag is usually no longer than a couple of days.

Cool looking forward to hearing your side of an XLR balanced mod
popcorn.gif

May 24, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #5,246 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's amazing.
if they read head fi then they would know there is enough market.
plus is 10 times bigger than a few years ago.
plus Sennheiser ang Grado are releasing headphones that cost 1000$ or more.
they would be stupid not to make the new K1000 version

Yeah, these new high-priced headphones may show them there is enough reason.

May 24, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #5,247 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS. In the Lehmann review, he did say that the Grace m902 Reference was better, but that it had a much lower gain that was less suitable for the HD800s - ie the dial had to be set near maximum to get good volume.

The Grace has a boost mode - he obviously didn't switch this in - I run my Grace with the boost mode activated.

May 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #5,248 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reminds me that I need to order a spare cable to re-terminate balanced.

Other than that, about bloody time! It just means, however, that they are going up against a Stax rig I've spend more and more months growing to enjoy very much.

May 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #5,250 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I loathe to hear more, and yet I cannot wait to hear initial impressions from those without business-ties and brand-allegiance and with ears that have tasted many-a-fruit.

Are you suggesting that the listening impressions posted by members thus far are unreliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back