The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #5,266 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Orpheus and baby Orpheus are as different as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir!
I don't think that the HD800 (or any headphone for that matter) can be considered close in anyway to both headphones.

After having the K1000's sitting around on stock shelves for months, and having to drop the prices to move the remaining stock, I don't think they would feel stupid not to make a new version.
We are just a tiny pimple on the faces of the total headphone buying crowd. We like to think that we reign supreme, but we don't.

oh my goodness!
please do not compare the orpheus or baby orpheus to the best selling wine in america.
do think of the orpheus as a bottle of chateau petrus, something to be experienced once in a lifetime, as too much of it will spoil and ruin you.
the baby orpheus, well, i like to compare it to a glass of chateau lafite rothschild, say 1999 for about $175 at masa

May 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #5,267 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the size of the driver in your Pioneer?

It's a 57mm mylar cone driver (so maybe it doesn't count... but the ring radiator driver is not a traditional dynamic driver either).
10621d1227456926-what-best-vintage-headphones-pre-1980-monitor_10_driver.jpg

May 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #5,271 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgdansk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Poland (Europe) the price will be approx. 1000USD, but I have an offer from one retailer to get it for...750USD
wink.gif

but - as I never heard 'em...have no idea if that's worthy!

Did your retailer also say when you would get them?

May 26, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #5,273 of 5,928
Finally I've heard the HD800s at the Munich High End Show 09.
I've listened to two different setups - with a Lehmann headphone amp +crappy ICs and a crappy multidisc player and with Violectric HPA V200 headphone amp + balanced ICs + hidden (under the counter) CDP. All the music was infamiliar to me unfortunately. BUT very, very positive impressions! Good soundstage, very linear, FAST, perfect instrument separtion, neutral. Something like bettered K701 with bass. Maybe the best headphone first impression I've ever had. I've thought I've got over the dynamics but... I must have these.
icon10.gif

May 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #5,276 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not at all. I just appreciate the "average joe" like myself giving their thoughts. A wider range of reviews is also appreciated.

I agree with a wider range of reviews too.

Differences in taste & level of exposure to high quality audio amongst forum reviewers can be immense. Throw in hype that usually surrounds new equipments, plus variables from different amps & sources, it's hard to take reviews too seriously.

May 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #5,279 of 5,928
Well... I think the winner is the Orthodynamic Roundup thread though now that I searched... Well.. if Sennheiser delay the 800 for 4-5 months more, I think this thread could be the biggest one here....! Hahaha just kidding
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back