The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 27, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #5,296 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I asked about the pricing the salesperson said the other was in error and they are restricted by Sennheiser to the $1399 price (and they didn't have it in stock yet anyway so I'm not sure why he called, maybe to give me a heads-up).

It's likely he called because Senn made J&R call anyone to whom it made such "erroneous" price quotes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodPJ
So now there is no reason not to purchase your pair from one of the sponsors here.

There never was a compelling reason to purchase these phones from elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodpj
I guess it wasn't so much an MSRP as a demand.

It never was an MSRP. It's resale price maintenance. Put another way, it's a mandatory minimum price established by the manufacturer. Senn has been very clear about this strategy from the outset, and it has been explained--in detail--more than once here.

May 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #5,297 of 5,928
Quote:

Also, who other than SAA is making balanced cables for the HD800? I mean full cables, not just re-terminated stock ones.

a reterminated cable is fully balanced as there are separate +/- cables and they never share a ground like a standard cable.

The cable that comes with these is of high quality and I would not purchase a new one until I tried the stock cable as it is great. But hey it's your dime or $1800.

Also after a few months I guarantee that other cable makers will have their version of the HD800 cable

May 27, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5,298 of 5,928
Well, we will all have them soon enough and that's what matters.
smily_headphones1.gif
Then we can actually talk about what this thread was intended for... reviews.

May 27, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #5,301 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wtgklHQ52WE

I leave tomorrow am in the van. Everything is being shipped lust like normal.

Well, it never hurts to ask.

May 27, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #5,302 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a reterminated cable is fully balanced as there are separate +/- cables and they never share a ground like a standard cable.

The cable that comes with these is of high quality and I would not purchase a new one until I tried the stock cable as it is great. But hey it's your dime or $1800

Yes, I agree that of course I will try it first before I decide anything of the sort, and I had no plan to spend as much as the headphones themselves on a cable. <GASP> I know that the stock cable is already balanced, I'm just wondering how many options we will have for aftermarket cables. It's great that we don't have to send the phones in for recabling should we decide to go that route.

May 27, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #5,303 of 5,928
Quote:

Also, who other than SAA is making balanced cables for the HD800? I mean full cables, not just re-terminated stock ones.

I already have an order placed with Captain Drubrew (Moon Audio) for a balanced cable once the ends become known. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than $1800.00 smackers.

May 27, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #5,304 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have an order placed with Captain Drubrew (Moon Audio) for a balanced cable once the ends become known. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than $1800.00 smackers.

I don't believe they are $1800. I just checked and it said $1400. But that's still nuts, in my opinion. For that kind of money I would buy 2 pairs of HD800, one that I could mod and one stock.

Well they should become known soon enough. If I'm not mistaken, someone posted a link to Headroom's photo page from CES and there were schematics for the connectors. Good work whoever mapped that out!

May 27, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #5,305 of 5,928
Quote:

I don't believe they are $1800. I just checked and it said $1400. But that's still nuts, in my opinion.

Well they should become known soon enough. If I'm not mistaken, someone posted a link to Headroom's photo page from CES and there were schematics for the connectors. Good work whoever mapped that out!

I think your right...where did I read $1800.00 from. Any way you slice it you can buy five cables from Drew at that price ($1400.00) with change left over for a night out!

May 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5,307 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's likely he called because Senn made J&R call anyone to whom it made such "erroneous" price quotes.

There never was a compelling reason to purchase these phones from elsewhere.

It never was an MSRP. It's resale price maintenance. Put another way, it's a mandatory minimum price established by the manufacturer. Senn has been very clear about this strategy from the outset, and it has been explained--in detail--more than once here.

It matters not which way you say it:The truth of the matter is that it is Price Fixing,end of story.

evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #5,308 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a strong believer in recable, i have recabled my sr225 with apuresound and my hd650s with Zu mobius cable, but i am not even considering recabling the hd800s.

I will put a lot of miles on the stock cable...but the other 300 ohm brethren benefit greatly from balancing. I doubt that the apple falls to far from the tree hence a balanced option. Unless you hard-wire your Senn you can go back and forth.

May 27, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #5,309 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It matters not which way you say it:The truth of the matter is that it is Price Fixing,end of story.

evil_smiley.gif

Ahh I love it when arm chair lawyers argue with actual lawyers
popcorn.gif

May 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #5,310 of 5,928
The problem is that i opted for the Zana Duex, and it does not have a balanced output. There is a new model (Balancing Act i think) being released that does but i thought that i wouldn't ever go that direction, so i am stuck without the balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back