The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #4,306 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. Amped out of a singlepower ES-1, balanced the HD650 sounds like, well, the HD650 only a little better no matter how some want it to turn into a different phone.

The 650 out of a singlepower ES1 won't sound like anything after it blows its drivers ,as the ES1 is a electrostatic amp only
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #4,308 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on what is on the table (& not my opinion) there is nothing thus far to suggest HD800 has same level of bass slam as Denon d7000 or Edition9.

I hope not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
The 650 out of a singlepower ES1 won't sound like anything after it blows its drivers ,as the ES1 is a electrostatic amp only

At least that would remove the veil
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #4,309 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Maestro.jpg

LOL - I'm too poor to know anything above the Supra but I did know the ES1, 2 was for stats. I guess I wasn't thinking
redface.gif
after looking it up, it must have been the meastro I assume. It was at a meet and it looked like this picture. My wallet starts shaking at the thought of this thing, but this sucker sounded awesome with the Sony R10 and the HD650 and yes it became a bit more transparent but still sounded like an HD650.

It definitely didn't shed the layers like the HE60, K-1000 or OII... and from what it sounds like the HD800.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4,311 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you amp it right, balanced, then the HD650 is perfect with no veil.... that's a joke. Now it's being admitted that the HD650 has a veil because the HD800 seems to have removed it. Amped out of a singlepower ES-1, balanced the HD650 sounds like, well, the HD650 only a little better no matter how some want it to turn into a different phone.

So what about the people in whose systems the HD650 doesn't sound veiled even in comparison to other high-end headphones?

Maybe they're lying? Or they have lead ears? Maybe this is some sort of conspiracy to sell HD650s to people whose systems can't run them properly? Or maybe they're all out to push the few specific amps on which the HD650 supposedly sounds right?

Now, I'm not in this to stir anything up, but let's just say that I didn't think the HD650 was worth a damn, at least compared to the HD600, until I heard it driven right. Then, I had to admit that I was wrong.

If the HD800 is equally difficult to drive, then we could very well see a similar scenario.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #4,312 of 5,928
Quote:

Based on what is on the table (& not my opinion) there is nothing thus far to suggest HD800 has same level of bass slam as Denon d7000 or Edition9.

Both the Denon and Ultrasone here are closed designs and the HD 800 is fully open - chalk and cheese.

It's like comparing a Rolls Royce and a Porsche - both superb, just different.
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #4,313 of 5,928
Quote:

Thanks SleepyOne for the reference.

Although I said the HD800 does not have the bass slam of an Ed9 or D7000, I also said it was clear that they were the best headphone I had heard for orchestral - where I for one want an accurate portrayal of the performance.

If I'm listening to Walter/Wendy Carlos or Tomita, then I'm happy to have the lower registers played with.

What I am discovering more and more, is that the human mind likes what it is familiar with. Not to justify those items anyone has invested in but because they feel safe and 'right'. Change is difficult to accomodate especially when it throws into question that which you have believed in for some time.

I predict that owners of HD800 that have not owned very top tier phones will be a little uncomfortable with their presentation for possibly a few months. Many will return them, whilst the majority will percevere and get used to the presentation. After that period, they will have a new reference phone.

I have no experience of Stats, so I couldn't make any comparisons there. I am very keen to hear from others here who can make judgments between Stats and HD800.

Some people spend big bucks on ICE and get a bass heavy presentation. Is it good or just what they like? You gotta know what you like before you go spending money chasing it. Otherwise you are just lost looking for activity.

Regards

Sceptre

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #4,314 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta know what you like before you go spending money chasing it. Otherwise you are just lost looking for activity.

Great quote.

The challenge is that you don't often know what you don't know until you know it.

You know?
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #4,315 of 5,928
Quote:

You gotta know what you like before you go spending money chasing it. Otherwise you are just lost looking for activity.

I spent a lot of money traveling without knowing where I'd end up. I consider it money well spent.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #4,316 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a lot of money traveling without knowing where I'd end up. I consider it money well spent.

i have to agree, sometimes you can end up finding a favourite in something you wouldnt have usually tried, this is broadening your horizons rather than sticking to your pre-conceived notion of what you already like.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #4,320 of 5,928
Quote:

What I am discovering more and more, is that the human mind likes what it is familiar with. Not to justify those items anyone has invested in but because they feel safe and 'right'. Change is difficult to accomodate especially when it throws into question that which you have believed in for some time.

I've been thinking about this for some time recently. My brain has adapted to the Stax I've been using, so, as someone else put forward elsewhere, it's hard to go back to dynamic cans afterwards.

Quote:

I have no experience of Stats, so I couldn't make any comparisons there. I am very keen to hear from others here who can make judgments between Stats and HD800.

I'll do my best when mine arrive. They will be the deciders for whether I go with a Stax or dynamic rig in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back