The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #1,651 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLY SH!T these things cost $1400!!!

One of the most prominently felt ripples from the HD800 release will be the effect on the out-of-production headphone market. Currently, this niche enjoys nearly free reign, with just about all of the famed, top-tier headphones no longer being in production. The result has been exhorbitant prices that only a privileged few can, and do pay (which only propogates the price gauging).

Now we have a brand new, top-of-the-line headphone, brought to us from one of the most respected headphone manufacturers in the world, complete with a warranty & total company support. Sure, $1400 is still $1400. You gotta have it to spend it. But when you put it within the context of paying over $1200+ for a pair of AKG K1000, or $1400+ for Grado HP-1000's, that come with zero warranty & expensive repairs (not to mention, long wait-times), the price is not so out of order.

I mention the AKG's & Grado's specifically, as I predict the new HD800's will infringe on their end of the sound signature spectrum (all speculation on my part of course, as I have not heard the HD800's myself yet). I forsee those market prices, as well as those of the Qualia 010's & Sennheiser HE60's (all similiar) to normalize to more reasonable levels in the coming year. Some HE90 marketshare could be taken away as well.

Now, we just need a closed woody headphone to come from another manufacturer (Audio-Technica, JVC?) to bring the Sony R10/A-T L3000 prices back down to more reasonable levels. Personally, I hope that happens.

You heard it here first.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #1,652 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, we just need a closed woody headphone to come from another manufacturer (Audio-Technica, JVC?) to bring the Sony R10/A-T L3000 prices back down to more reasonable levels. Personally, I hope that happens.

JVC.....DX1000 and soon to be released DX700.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,653 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya see, I not only put the
tongue.gif
face but also put [size=xx-small](kidding)[/size] after that - all to make sure you didn't have to defend yourself. But ya did anyways.

I like having you here and do NOT think there are any alterior motives - and as far as I'm concerned, your review will be as legitimate as anyone elses.

Thanks Rob,

I try to be open and honest and I am excited about the HD 800 as the next man (woman).

I have known something was in the offing for several years and I also knew that it would only come if it would be significantly better than the current range. So I hope it lives up to my expectations as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would sure hope the HD800 at least approaches the HE-90...
icon10.gif

This is what has been indicated to me by the designer and product manager from listening tests they did at the factory.

But I will wait and see for myself.

I have my own 24/96 masters and several CDs that I recorded and my Grace m902b to listen with. So I know how the original instruments sounded like in the room and how I recorded them originally. So I'm looking forward to a proper listen as soon as I get hold of a pair - hopefully from the next pre-production run and hopefully the last pre run before they press the button).

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,654 of 5,928
From the limited amount of time I spent with the HD800 through a limiting amplifier, I can say two things regarding the recent posts on comparing them to the HD650/600 and the HE90.

First, I listened to my HD650s last night and experienced the same thing John described going from HE90 to his then-current cans. It really struck me how dark and sluggish they were from the Lavry DA10 even though I was listening to them balanced from the pre-outs. My memory of the HD800 was incredibly different -- and far superior -- even though I actually really like the HD650s.

Second, I cannot say if the HD800 really sound like the HE90s on gear of a similar level, but did not think the sound signature was all that similar in the greenhouse at CES. Where I definitely believe they are different from the HE90 is positive: lightening fast, very neutral (not colored or warmed up), and impactful. I love the HE90s and they cannot really be criticized on these points too severely (except those that find them too warm/euphonic), but I think people will find that the HD800 may exceed the HE90 on speed/transients/impact because of this new dynamic driver design. We shall see.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #1,655 of 5,928
*sigh*
The more I follow this thread, the more some faint voice in my head tells me that it might be better to get a Corda Symphony to replace my Cantate.2 if I want to use the HD 800 someday.
You shall be cursed, head-fi!

/does anyone want to buy a cantate.2?
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,657 of 5,928
My wallet can't handle any more of this, need to throw out my computer

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #1,659 of 5,928
Quote:

One of the most prominently felt ripples from the HD800 release will be the effect on the out-of-production headphone market. Currently, this niche enjoys nearly free reign, with just about all of the famed, top-tier headphones no longer being in production. The result has been exhorbitant prices that only a privileged few can, and do pay (which only propogates the price gauging).

Now we have a brand new, top-of-the-line headphone, brought to us from one of the most respected headphone manufacturers in the world, complete with a warranty & total company support. Sure, $1400 is still $1400. You gotta have it to spend it. But when you put it within the context of paying over $1200+ for a pair of AKG K1000, or $1400+ for Grado HP-1000's, that come with zero warranty & expensive repairs (not to mention, long wait-times), the price is not so out of order.

I mention the AKG's & Grado's specifically, as I predict the new HD800's will infringe on their end of the sound signature spectrum (all speculation on my part of course, as I have not heard the HD800's myself yet). I forsee those market prices, as well as those of the Qualia 010's & Sennheiser HE60's (all similiar) to normalize to more reasonable levels in the coming year. Some HE90 marketshare could be taken away as well.

You heard it here first.
wink.gif

x2. As usual well stated!

The Senns may not cover all ranges, but are going to spark the industry, I hope! The Kings are still going to remain the mythical beasts that they are made up (or proven) to be, because of the reasons you noted above.

Example: When STAX discontinued the T2 and the SR-007 and came out with the SR-007 OII MK I and SRM-007t in 1998. The OII earspeakers (amp excluded) improved upon their predecessor, at least in the eyes of a few or many that own the OII or the few that have heard these two in one setting; still some prefer the original way of presentation and believe it trumps all (R10/HE90/L3000, etc.).

Although, I understand a company attempting to leave their top-model intact, I hope that, that isn't the case. IMO, if a company isn't trying to innovate or improve themselves and become stagnant and set in their ways, then said company will be hard-pressed to separate my hard earned $$$. This is tough to do, and still keep your fanbase intact, hence I understand why certain companies do not come out with Sony R11s or AT L3000.5, ect.

Records are meant to be shattered and if you aren't aiming at the top or aiming for improving, then what's the sense of aiming at all.

--Ends rant--

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Rob,

I try to be open and honest and I am excited about the HD 800 as the next man (woman).

I have known something was in the offing for several years and I also knew that it would only come if it would be significantly better than the current range. So I hope it lives up to my expectations as well.

x2. If you are going to come, you had better come correct -- no half stepping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what has been indicated to me by the designer and product manager from listening tests they did at the factory.

But I will wait and see for myself.

I have my own 24/96 masters and several CDs that I recorded and my Grace m902b to listen with. So I know how the original instruments sounded like in the room and how I recorded them originally. So I'm looking forward to a proper listen as soon as I get hold of a pair - hopefully from the next pre-production run and hopefully the last pre run before they press the button).

Going straight for the good stuff..

Lucky man!

An added measure of Operational Risk Management (ORM) would not hurt; make sure that you have the paramedics on standby!
evil_smiley.gif

...I'm going to listen to it with utter crap first; that way I can but my mind to ease about all the money that, I'm under the impression, has been wasted on buying directly from iTunes.
redface.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #1,660 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This headphone has the highest of expectations...including being the best headphone EVER. I hope that HD800 is at least reminiscent of the HE90! I may have to buy one.

Brian...you're alive!!! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #1,662 of 5,928
I bet almost everyone who wants and is in a position to own a pair of HD800 has preordered them. I foresee demand will fall off quickly although interest will stay high. A few months when demand and interest have fallen off is when I will consider them assuming they turn out to sound decent and end up around 800$ new.

In this horrible economy I can not justify more than 800$us for a dynamic headphone. It would be real nice if these leveled out at 600$us when rumors of an HD850/HD900 starts to surface.

People comparing them to electrostatic headphones are very optimistic. I doubt the HD800 can match the speed and transparency of an electrostatic rig. The saving grace is the bass, but with it being a new ring style of driver, I am skeptical there will be enough bass weight for a dynamic headphone.

I wonder how many people have preordered them and are going to make use of a return policy. Indeed most will find them to sound better than the HD650, but 1100$ better? That is what I am doubting. If I was an investing man, I would short the HD800 at it's current price of 1400$.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #1,663 of 5,928
Quote:

You heard it here first.
wink.gif

Nice post and it wasn't something I considered seriously. I especially liked the exhortation for these companies to produce a closed headphone that will become a new benchmark and stabilize the prices of the R10 and the L3000. Let's just hope that the HD800 takes care of the open headphone side of the equation.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #1,665 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Example: When STAX discontinued the T2 and the SR-007 and came out with the SR-007 OII MK I and SRM-007t in 1998. The OII earspeakers (amp excluded) improved upon their predecessor, at least in the eyes of a few or many that own the OII or the few that have heard these two in one setting; still some prefer the original way of presentation and believe it trumps all (R10/HE90/L3000, etc.).

Huh!?

The SRM-T2 were released in 1994 and died with Old-Stax in 1995.
While the SR-007(BL) and SRM-007t were introduced by new-Stax (the current company) in 1998. In 2007 they were replaced by the SR-007MK2 and SRM-007tII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back