The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #286 of 5,928
The price isn't that bad IMO - the Ultrasone Edition 9 if I recall is in this same bracket. Now, if the Sennheiser can best the likes of the Sony duo (R10/Q010) then we are now talking about a "bargain" of sorts. I'm lined up with wallet ready. My HD650's have never let me down!

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #287 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it is. I'll get the name of the exact type of connector tomorrow, but it looks like a little lemo connector. I was told that it's a standard connector, which should make the cable replacement companies happy, as well as the DIY'ers.

I guess no one else saw this? Oh well, let the debate continue...
wink.gif

Personally, I think the cans are beautiful!

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #288 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess no one else saw this? Oh well, let the debate continue...
wink.gif

Personally, I think the cans are beautiful!

I saw it.

It could be specially made for sennn because of the pretty external bits they have got there.

The rest of us will have to settle for the simple knurled connectors.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #289 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about that picture says they're proprietary? There are a number of standard connectors that could fit that image.

grawk is right--it is not proprietary, according to what I was told yesterday. I will get confirmation today, but believe it's a type of lemo connector. I'm in the booth right now, and took some closeups of both sides.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #290 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I am looking forward to seeing insane market prices dropping for world class discontinued headphones (R10, L3000, Q010, etc...)
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's highly unlikely to happen, but it never hurts to be a dreamer.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #291 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those things look sweet, I don't know why everyone was complaining about the looks in that one other thread about the picture leak.

You know, from that leaked image they didn't look that good to me.

But, after looking at jude's pictures for a while, and the ones on the senn website, I think they look quite nice. I'll reserve final judgment until I actually get a pair, but they look good from the pictures.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #293 of 5,928
Hey all!

My name starts with the letter 'K', and i just skipped from page 18 because i just wanted to say 'hi' and my expectations..

I'm hoping for it to bee a tad closer sounding (someone remarked that they could sound like the AD2000's made by sennheiser? dunno..)
Let it be faster and more transparent than 650/600's. Bass must be controlled.. Same kind of tonal accuracy as in grados... Hmmm I'm thinking of the dream headphones.. Ooh i like the talk about no fatigue!

-K indeed

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #294 of 5,928
Who gives a crap what they look like. The sound is what you see dummies.

The cups appear very deep. I like that.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #295 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes a company 'gets it' and does not force brand new proprietary connectors on us. most often, though, consumers 'feelings' are not quite taken into design or at least marketing consideration.. ;(

The sennheiser connector on the hd650 and others is proprietary for sure, but since they've been using it on various headphones since 1968 i don't think it's new.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #297 of 5,928
what a great past few months for headphones/iems it has been.

IE8, westone 3, and now... HD800.

I almost couldnt believe my eyes when i saw this post.

I thought IE8/westone 3 was pretty exciting but this is on a totally different level.

We might just be witnessing history here.

Now i wonder when the hell would i be able to audition them. Much less begin to afford them along with proper setup to go with them.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #299 of 5,928
Jude, any indications when production units will be available?

Or, If they will sell the show demos?
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #300 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because there is a new product doesn't mean my HD650s sound worse than they did yesterday. Right?
frown.gif

But HD650 is soooo 2008, out of fashion. Every trend aware headfier will give you facepalm if they hear you that are STILL listening your HD650...
smile.gif

Quote:

That's the other thing. They go on and on about the bigness of the driver, but the 56mm ring driver probably has a smaller driven surface than a 44mm dome driver.

Precicely! Bass requires lots moving air. I guess HD800 will be one of those headphones that has bass with decent extension, but no punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back