The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #318 of 5,928
i bet the price will go down to around the 1000 mark within a year. i also don't think the HD650's price will drop too much (if at all).

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #319 of 5,928
Sennheiser's HD 800 Headphones: Audiophiles Only Need Apply

By Eliot Van Buskirk January 08, 2009 | 1:26:04 PM -- Categories: CES 2009 LAS VEGAS --

Some people think "audiophile" means "someone who loves music," but they're wrong. Audiophiles carefully consider their choice in speaker wire and spend thousands, if not tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on their audio set-up. With a lofty price tag of $1400, Sennheiser's HD 800 headphones are for them.

"It's going to be the new standard for audiophile headphones," explained Eric Stubbert, industry team manager for consumer electronics at Sennheiser. Like most audiophile headphones, these ones are open, meaning that sound escapes from each side. The key to the HD 800's wide-ranging frequency response, according to Stubbert, is a "completely new" ring-shaped transducer.

This hole was necessary because Sennheiser increased the size of the transducer to 56 millimeters, in its quest for deeper bass, that the transducer was no longer capable of moving fast enough to reproduce high frequencies. The hole allows the headphones to reproduce low bass and high treble with clarity.

Each pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones is hand-assembled in Germany. Audiophiles might also be pleased to note that the headphones' cable is made from silver-plated, oxygen-free, Kevlar-reinforced copper.

p1010442.jpg

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #326 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, then show me where to get a HD800 right now.
wink.gif

...and of course a balanced aftermarket cable for it.

In a feverish search as we speak - and Alex (APS) lives about 15 minutes away from me. I plan to reterminate the stock cable to XLR, and let him voice a cable for the HD800 using my pair. No problem.
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #327 of 5,928
Thank you, thank you, thank you Sennheiser! This is awesome!!!!

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #330 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speculation on this thread is that it's not really very big because it's a ring.

Right. The big AKGs have 53mm drivers that don't have a 25mm hole in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back