The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #271 of 5,928
If it is diffuse-field equalized and you have a main cable that splits into two ones to reach both cups how do you make the mix of the signal? Into the big conector? I believe it could be very tricky to change this cable...

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #273 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnauga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is diffuse-field equalized and you have a main cable that splits into two ones to reach both cups how do you make the mix of the signal? Into the big conector? I believe it could be very tricky to change this cable...

When they say "DF equalized" they mean the headphone's acoustics are tuned to some resemblance of a DF curve. Not that there's equalizing circuitry in it.

A very large percentage of high end headphones are DF equalized - including all the big beyers for example. Since 1985.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #274 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started to wonder, how is the bass in this new type of dynamic driver design? Can it still reach deep AND hit hard enough?

That's the other thing. They go on and on about the bigness of the driver, but the 56mm ring driver probably has a smaller driven surface than a 44mm dome driver.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #275 of 5,928
Quote:

Brochure says diffuse-field equalized. I believe since k240df there wasn't any cans with this feature because the amplifiers can handle that business

The amp can create a DF for any headphone, but only if the proper EQ for that SPECIFIC headphone is built in.

IE: running a DT-48 on an amp with a DF EQ for an HD-600 is not DF, or even close to a decent sound...
Quote:

diffuse field does not require mixing of the signal, only that the frequency response and certain phase shifts comply to certain standards.

I think you may be confusing cross-feed with DF, they are very different.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #276 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hopeful that we can get some confirmation about the connector that Senn chose to use at the headphones. It'll be a bummer in my book if they used some proprietary nonsense again.

It's definitely a proprietary connector:

3179265344_0485f1d1ed_b.jpg

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #278 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$325 is far too good a deal for the HD650, that's more like the price for the HD600. You know how Sennheiser works, they'll charge an unreasonable pentium outside of europe...

huh? you guys are still using pentiums??

(sorry)
wink.gif

back to the new-product-salvating, already in progress....

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #280 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
diffuse field does not require mixing of the signal, only that the frequency response and certain phase shifts comply to certain standards.

I think you may be confusing cross-feed with DF, they are very different.

That must be where the confusion is. Because i can state for the record, for example, that the K240-DF has no equalization components in it. I've had mine completely disassembled for deep cleaning. It's just a different version of the same basic driver design found in the K140, K141, K240 Sextett, and K240-M. A version that sounds way better than most of those. To my ears anyway.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #283 of 5,928
No, if it's specially made for senn, it's custom. If it's not based on a standard, and they don't allow others to use it, it's proprietary.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #284 of 5,928
Quote:

I'm hopeful that we can get some confirmation about the connector that Senn chose to use at the headphones. It'll be a bummer in my book if they used some proprietary nonsense again.

From the vidz on Senn's website, it seems no doubt that Cardas will see a windfall here.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #285 of 5,928
Quote:

this theme comes up each time a new camera (my other hobby) is intro'd. will they use standard connectors for power and remote-trigger or pull some proprietary nonsense.

users really like vendors to avoid proprietary connector types unless there's a *compelling* reason for it. usually, there is not - its simply a way to lock-out competitors and to force high prices on parts.

sometimes a company 'gets it' and does not force brand new proprietary connectors on us. most often, though, consumers 'feelings' are not quite taken into design or at least marketing consideration.. ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back