The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Nov 18, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #5,900 of 5,928
I agree. I listened to and felt both models today and the demo headphone they had of the hd800 was obviously completely trashed up. I went with the S, let's hope they last forever. No Bali trip for me this summer. Girlfriend will be pleased. :sweat_smile::ok_hand:

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #5,902 of 5,928
I hope to one day hear a pair of HD800's in person. I have a pair of those HD6xx from massdrop coming soon but I still want to see what all the fuss is about with these HD800's

Yes you should but only make your judgement when it is paired with an amp which is typically know to pair well with it. Its kinda picky with amps so YMMV. All the best and have fun with you 6xx

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #5,903 of 5,928
  Yes you should but only make your judgement when it is paired with an amp which is typically know to pair well with it. Its kinda picky with amps so YMMV. All the best and have fun with you 6xx

take a sheet of paper and while going through amp matching threads for HD800 write down every single amp that is said to be a good match with HD800. You will be surprised at how many amps those "picky" headphones are said to pair well with. I personally have an old Audiolab M-DAC (that I had had long before I got the HD800) and I can tell that it pairs great with HD800 and although I own three pairs of hi-fi speakers at home only the headphones never cease to amaze me with their sound.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #5,904 of 5,928
  I want to buy a DAC around $1000 for HD800(s). I usually listen to piano and symphonies and my amp would be Woo WA2 or WA22. Any suggestions for the DAC guys? For now, I am interested in Schiit Gungnir2 Multibit. Thanks a lot.

if you wanna buy a one thousand dollar DAC, that's one thing. If you wanna buy a good sounding DAC - that's a different story. The truth is, I have an audiolab m-dac which you can get secondhand for about 400 bucks and my friend has M2Tech monoblocks with Van Der Graaf PSU costing $3k+ which is 7-8 times the difference, but the difference in the sound is... well... it's really hard to hear and even if you think you hear it, it's hard to define it or tell which device sounds better. They just both sound very good. I understand that owning an expensive device is a nice thing in itself, kind of making you feel happier, but technically it's just not worth it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #5,905 of 5,928
Dec 20, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #5,906 of 5,928
Folks, I know many of you already switched to other xx, like orths, if you still own these be-proud HD800, do NOT give them up. We should trust Sennheiser as trust our familys. Familys never let you down. Please be patient. HD800 may not be on par with the lastest crazy priced HPs, but I promise, in the next generation, they'll be mind blowing. Dawn is breaking.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #5,907 of 5,928
Folks, I know many of you already switched to other xx, like orths, if you still own these be-proud HD800, do NOT give them up. We should trust Sennheiser as trust our familys. Familys never let you down. Please be patient. HD800 may not be on par with the lastest crazy priced HPs, but I promise, in the next generation, they'll be mind blowing. Dawn is breaking.

If sennheiser comes up with a new headphone, what does it matter if we already own an HD800? Will there be an upgrade?

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #5,908 of 5,928

Will I agree, I love both. How in the world would you know what Senn is doing in the future

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #5,910 of 5,928
Dear all! Could you be so kind to recommend worse price for used HD800? Is it worse to buy for 800$ or it overpriced?
Kind regards.

For new, I would be suspicious of that price; it's too good for new.

For used, that is about right for a good to very good condition HD800 with the case and original cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back