The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #5,911 of 5,928

For new, I would be suspicious of that price; it's too good for new.

For used, that is about right for a good to very good condition HD800 with the case and original cable. 

Dear all! Could you be so kind to recommend worse price for used HD800? Is it worse to buy for 800$ or it overpriced?
Kind regards.

I always look on ebay completed sales (green) which show most used HD800 headphones are selling in the $700-800 range.  Choose wisely and look at seller ratings.

Link

Several authorized dealers were selling the HD800 new for $875-900 last fall.  Many dealers have display or open box models for that price which are usually like new.

The HD800 does not come with a case, just a fancy box and of course a detachable cable.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #5,912 of 5,928

For new, I would be suspicious of that price; it's too good for new.

For used, that is about right for a good to very good condition HD800 with the case and original cable. 

Dear all! Could you be so kind to recommend worse price for used HD800? Is it worse to buy for 800$ or it overpriced?
Kind regards.

I always look on ebay completed sales (green) which show most used HD800 headphones are selling in the $700-800 range.  Choose wisely and look at seller ratings.

Link

Several authorized dealers were selling the HD800 new for $875-900 last fall.  Many dealers have display or open box models for that price which are usually like new.

The HD800 does not come with a case, just a fancy box and of course a detachable cable.

Please name one authorized dealer that was selling the HD800 for $875-900. I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I follow prices pretty closely, and I ain't seen an authorized dealer go that low.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #5,913 of 5,928

Please name one authorized dealer that was selling the HD800 for $875-900. I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I follow prices pretty closely, and I ain't seen an authorized dealer go that low.

I purchased mine new 12Aug16 -  Sennheiser HD800 Headphones $899 + free shipping @focuscamera.com
There was also a special from Focus via the newegg site a few weeks later for another $25 credit if one used an AMEX card
Several Amazon sellers have had similar prices.

The S/N was 45xxx so definitely new production;  registered for warranty fine on the Sennheiser site which allowed me to receive the actual production frequency response test certificate via email pdf.  Recieved 22Aug16

Beautiful big soundstage like everyone says....very enjoyable detailed music from this headphone...highly recommend.

I also picked up a SuperDupont Resonator mod kit, but the so called 6K resonance on HD800 has never been noticeable to me so I have not yet installed it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,914 of 5,928

I purchased mine new 12Aug16 -  Sennheiser HD800 Headphones $899 + free shipping @focuscamera.com
There was also a special from Focus via the newegg site a few weeks later for another $25 credit if one used an AMEX card
Several Amazon sellers have had similar prices.

The S/N was 45xxx so definitely new production;  registered for warranty fine on the Sennheiser site which allowed me to receive the actual production frequency response test certificate via email pdf.  Recieved 22Aug16

Beautiful big soundstage like everyone says....very enjoyable detailed music from this headphone...highly recommend.

I also picked up a SuperDupont Resonator mod kit, but the so called 6K resonance on HD800 has never been noticeable to me so I have not yet installed it.

Ahh, yes, but Focus Camera, despite what they might say, isn't an authorized reseller. We had this discussion on the Utopia thread (long story), and it was verified that focus isn't authorized.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #5,915 of 5,928
Dear all. Thank you very much for reply.
And one more. I'm a little bit afraid of amplifier for 800. I had read that it needs a good amplifier. Also I look to electrostatic ones and I'm little bit confused what to choose 800 or electrostatic ones.....

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,917 of 5,928
And one more: how to check serial number? Which digits should I check? Which numbers is typical for the old ones or for new ones? Thanx

You may want to check out this thread.

I personally don't think you will find much difference between serial numbers, but as you can see some do.

I recently picked up a HDVD 800 to drive my HD 800 HPs and highly recommend this combo

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5,920 of 5,928
Quick question why does everybody who's buying the hd800 used wants to know the serial number?

Does the serial number provide how old the hd800 is if so I can you tell?

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #5,924 of 5,928
I spent 20min testing it using my Xperia XZ Premium. First I was impressed and I still consider it to be in top class of list from all the headphones I tested recently. But after I went through testing 2-3songs I noticed that when multiple instruments and vocals were being played at a time there was no problem but when all the instruments except one stops playing then you can notice how overshadowed it was when all instruments were playing at a time. I was listening to a song in which two instruments were being played drums and flute, in a phase drums stop playing and only flute is played solo. At that point I realized how overshadowed it was when two or more instruments were being played. As soon as drums stopped the clarity and detail of flute went up a notch which was clearly noticeable. This problem I did not experience in some other headphones which I tested. Probably this is one and only major drawback this headphone has besides it not being extremely clear and detailed(it is way ahead of majority when it comes to clarity and detail and producing natural sound) as few other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back