The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jul 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5,881 of 5,928
  As much as these get on my nerves for being so source dependent as they are.....They sure are good

I'm just about done after a weeks worth of auditioning to the 800 (SN151XX), about 25 hours.The sound is the best I've experienced yet, but your right about the source quality from a recorded standpoint. I've got lots of older 60's thru 90's classical recordings on CD, they vary from good to bad to ugly. The various labels "house sounds" make it even more difficult to find a one size fits all headphone. I plan to do the 800S auditioning soon as possible, I'm hoping it can be a bit more forgiving of at least some of my more borderline recorded quality CD's. With my A-List recordings the 800 is nothing short of a miraculous performer.

Maybe I'll have to buy one of each, I'll see.

From a comfort standpoint there is no competition with any other headphone, including Sennheiser's other offerings.

But then, I haven't heard the Orpheus!!!

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #5,882 of 5,928
Well the sale FocusCamera had last week made me finally pick up a new Sennehiser HD800.  The serial number is 45xxx so I believe it must be a fairly late model.  I was prepared for some possible untamed highs in the 6K range, but so far I am finding this to be one of those few HPs you just don't want to put down, absolutely nothing to complain about.  My music tracks, mostly HiRes come alive like I have not heard them before.  I wish I had just picked up the HD800 instead of all the HD600 & DT880 baby steps and been money ahead.

I did register the HD800 and am awaiting the Sennheiser production frequency response certificate to see what they looked like on paper coming of the line.

I also picked up some already made SuperDupont inserts from a person on ebay;  supposed to be the exact materials Sorrodje recommends to bump them up to an 800S equivalent, but so far I see no need.  I am quite pleased from the sound.  Any SuperDupont modders here that find them beneficial?

Some in Head-Fi have thought Sennheiser may have tamed the HD800 in the later produced models.  Has anyone found that to be the case?  What serial number did it change?

Thus far my listening has been with my favorite Grace Design m9xx , I will branch out to an OTL tube amp when I get my Bottlehead Crack built.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #5,885 of 5,928
I want to buy a DAC around $1000 for HD800(s). I usually listen to piano and symphonies and my amp would be Woo WA2 or WA22. Any suggestions for the DAC guys? For now, I am interested in Schiit Gungnir2 Multibit. Thanks a lot.

While there are many other options, you won't go wrong with the Gumby.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5,886 of 5,928
So it's been a few months since I received my 800's and rather than being an endgame, I still find myself purchasing a new set of cans about once a month, trying to find something with more bass impact, yet still with clear mids and highs.

I have noticed after listening yesterday that the 800's are starting to tone down the sibilant highs a bit and I'm starting to hear more sub bass. Out of the box they sounded very thin and the bass was in the background behind the highs but it's starting to become more enjoyable and balanced now. I might even go so far as to say the bass on some tracks is down right pleasing.

Part of this change in sound comes from switching from my preferred Asus STXII over to my musicstream and Lyr 2 combo. I listened for a few hours yesterday with this setup and did not touch the EQ.

I will likely purchase the Schihit Jotunheim in a few months and try my first balanced setup with the 800's.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #5,887 of 5,928
Hello!

So I put these cans on for the first time last night.  I was floored.
Listening to Tidal 44.1/16 streaming through the hifime Sabre9018 DAC and Cayin C5 portable amp.  A quick listen and it was all I needed.
I had though I would need to mod these to get rid of sibilance before I had them in my hot little hands.
BUT...
nope.
Not the case.
At least for me.

I'm currently at work listening straight out of my Macbook pro's headphone out.  With Tidal and VOX (for DSD and high res FLAC) and I have no complaints.

Yes I hear a slight sizzle on certain tracks but for the most part straight up wonderment.
I used the Cayin C5 to add some bass boost but it's currently charging and I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't need it. 

They really are extraordinary reference headphones. 
I have a late serial, I think, 453xx, don't know if that helps but I got a great deal on them used. 

If you're scared that you'll need the most expensive DAC and amp to drive them... let me say "don't fret, friend"
They scale up beautifully but you don't NEED it. 

I'm listening to Miles' "So What" off of Kind of Blue.  I'm enveloped in wonderful separation and clear details: even through my Mac's output.
Yes, it's not as smooth as through my DAC and Cayin C5 or a tube amp,  but I can still hear one of the musicians clearing out his spit valve at 7:12 !  No that's not music, but I've never heard that before.  I love that sort of stuff. 

Tidal volume is maxed and my headphone out is 70% but I can't imagine going higher or needing to. So What is mastered at -6db from most of the other stuff I listen to. 

As far as other cans - I'm going to keep my LCD-2 when I want something moodier and bassier but for now I'm very happy.  Let's see when the honeymoon's over...

Just thought I'd add some thoughts to this massive thread.  
Thanks!

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #5,888 of 5,928
  Hello!

So I put these cans on for the first time last night.  I was floored.
Listening to Tidal 44.1/16 streaming through the hifime Sabre9018 DAC and Cayin C5 portable amp.  A quick listen and it was all I needed.
I had though I would need to mod these to get rid of sibilance before I had them in my hot little hands.
BUT...
nope.
Not the case.
At least for me.

I'm currently at work listening straight out of my Macbook pro's headphone out.  With Tidal and VOX (for DSD and high res FLAC) and I have no complaints.

Yes I hear a slight sizzle on certain tracks but for the most part straight up wonderment.
I used the Cayin C5 to add some bass boost but it's currently charging and I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't need it. 

They really are extraordinary reference headphones. 
I have a late serial, I think, 453xx, don't know if that helps but I got a great deal on them used. 

If you're scared that you'll need the most expensive DAC and amp to drive them... let me say "don't fret, friend"
They scale up beautifully but you don't NEED it. 

I'm listening to Miles' "So What" off of Kind of Blue.  I'm enveloped in wonderful separation and clear details: even through my Mac's output.
Yes, it's not as smooth as through my DAC and Cayin C5 or a tube amp,  but I can still hear one of the musicians clearing out his spit valve at 7:12 !  No that's not music, but I've never heard that before.  I love that sort of stuff. 

Tidal volume is maxed and my headphone out is 70% but I can't imagine going higher or needing to. So What is mastered at -6db from most of the other stuff I listen to. 

As far as other cans - I'm going to keep my LCD-2 when I want something moodier and bassier but for now I'm very happy.  Let's see when the honeymoon's over...

Just thought I'd add some thoughts to this massive thread.  
Thanks!

Thanks for your impression! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 17, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5,889 of 5,928
Are the HD800's really THAT fragile?
I mean, looking through the marketplace, I'm finding pairs that are just a few months old and they all have paint chips..
I've har my HD700 for about two years now and they don't have a scratch. I am super confused.

Looking to buy a pair.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #5,890 of 5,928
  Are the HD800's really THAT fragile?
I mean, looking through the marketplace, I'm finding pairs that are just a few months old and they all have paint chips..
I've har my HD700 for about two years now and they don't have a scratch. I am super confused.

Looking to buy a pair.

I've had mine for many months. No chips. I think they probably are fragile, and one needs to be careful. that said, chips may indicate impact.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #5,894 of 5,928
That's terrible. 
Does anyone know if this has been addressed with the HD800S?

I haven't seen it yet on the HD 800 S.

But with or without paint, they still would sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back