The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #4,876 of 5,928
Up until this point the HD-800's that people have heard were produced in a limited Pre-Production run (I believe 500 pieces), they were not prototypes. I believe that the delays are exactly what has been intimated; supply chain issues. Anyone who has ever been involved in a new product release knows about these issues. I'm not surprised at the delays, I am surprised at Sennheisers lack of communication concerning the delays.

Personally I don't like buying any complicated item very early in its production. Invariably there are issues that crop up initially that take a little while to be corrected. So I'm dying to hear the HD-800's but even if they are the best headphones ever I won't be buying a set until much later in the year. I'm going to let everyone else be the Guinea pigs.

May 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #4,877 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up until this point the HD-800's that people have heard were produced in a limited Pre-Production run (I believe 500 pieces), they were not prototypes. I believe that the delays are exactly what has been intimated; supply chain issues. Anyone who has ever been involved in a new product release knows about these issues. I'm not surprised at the delays, I am surprised at Sennheisers lack of communication concerning the delays.

I agree about the supply chain issues. I also agree with you about the lack of comms. However, having been involved in a couple of supply chain related delays, it is possible that there is some legal wrangling behind the scenes that is making public communication difficult for Senn.

May 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4,879 of 5,928
Bah - no guts, no glory. Full speed ahead, or somesuch.

May 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4,880 of 5,928
I've been away for the week and just got back home, to read what?
A post from a Sennheiser guy (Willett) stating that shipping is about to happen, just a matter of days (in very limited quantities), followed by news from USA vendors (Headroom, Todd) stating that release is once more delayed to mid-Summer (that's July-August, not a 2 weeks delay!)?! What's this "batch" Willett refers to? I guess that's just another set for reviewers to spread the word and keep the attention high?
At this point one could wonder if swiss availability will still happen this year, as I highly doubt Switzerland will get these before USA (even if the swiss distributor still gave me the end-May timeline 2 days ago).
Frankly, what's the point of this neverending joke? A bit of delay can feed the hype, but too much of it could turn things into the opposite way. And while I can applaud those who still believe in it and think it's good that Senn keeps delaying instead of releasing an unfinished product (but then, what are reviewers listening to?), I'm slowing getting to think this HD800 story is honestly becoming pathetic. If I hadn't ordered the cable already, I think that at this point I would have stepped out of the train too.

May 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #4,881 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about the supply chain issues. I also agree with you about the lack of comms. However, having been involved in a couple of supply chain related delays, it is possible that there is some legal wrangling behind the scenes that is making public communication difficult for Senn.

How difficult can it be to offer consistent and clear information about one's own product?

May 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #4,882 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How difficult can it be to offer consistent and clear information about one's own product?

More difficult than you might think if you're in a dispute. So, for example, if Senn and one or more of its suppliers are preparing to sue each other for breach [EDIT: Which, by the way, is wild speculation on my part], crafting a meaningful communication while also adhering to currently-operative agreements and not inadvertently making an admission that will later be used against it is not necessarily easy. Thus, what tends to trickle out are the types of watered-down non-statements that we've been seeing. I don't like the practice, but I understand it having lived through it.

May 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4,884 of 5,928
Might be more prudent to not post amy more impressions until production units are being evaluated, as if the supplier stories have any truth at all, then changes are being made (even if with substantially identical materials), and there will be differences.

Oh, I know - just small 'cosmetic' - no change in sound - same quality (or better) - Mom & Pop - take however long, no matter what.

Keep those pedantic excuses coming, folks!

My question is: If this is legal wrangling, is THAT, in any way, shape or form, holding the release? Sure smells that way to me. Remember, production is rolling - or so we have been told - and we were never really told it ever stopped.

Of course, we've never really been told anything officially, in any regards.

May 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #4,886 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^It sounds like an actual supply chain issue, but legal wrangling often arises out of that, which can hinder communications. Of course, I am still speculating.

Aren't we all? The wildest speculation (such a flexible term) yet may be that we are actually buying the phones.

May 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #4,887 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't we all? The wildest speculation (such a flexible term) yet may be that we are actually buying the phones.

k701smile.gif

May 9, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #4,888 of 5,928
What's weird is that they do have alot of sample units and they send them to alot of audio reviewers,maybe they want tons of positive reviews before the actual realease,so they delay the release.
In anycase i can't afford them ,but i feel sorry for you guys because of the delays.

May 9, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #4,889 of 5,928
i wonder how many they really have....before the first mustang was released they just had a few precious cars that they repainted umpteen times before sending out to the next reviewer to give the illusion of a mature production line/development

May 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #4,890 of 5,928
I wonder why some people masochistically feel that they/we deserve discipline at the hands of arrogant companies such as Sennheiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back