The Sennheiser HD 25 Series
Jul 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

HalloweenJack

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I just bought me a pair of Senn HD 25-1 II's, and I think they sound fantastic for both portable and home use (sound great out of my Zero DAC as well as my CMoy).

So, does anyone have some background-info about the series? When was the first model introduced? When did new models appear and what was upgraded? When did the 25-1 II hit the market? Etc, etc, etc. The more info the better! :)  (yes, I did search, but little was found)

Thanks in advance for answers!

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 35
I haven't checked but I recall a story that they were assembled on location by some Sennheiser engineers to meet an immediate need they had at the time for a set of particular requirements.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 35
I too just got a pair of these about a week ago, been addicted to them since :) Does the amp really help?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 35
I am a proud owner of HD 25 C-II for, let say - more than month...and I am Senn´addict, too
atsmile.gif

My background info bout this Senn´s series is splittage of it´s models....voila:

HD 25-1 II - 70 Ohms, 1.5m steel cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with leatherette *and* velour earpads and a drawstring carry bag.

HD 25-1 II Special Edition - 70 Ohms, 1.5m cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with only leatherette earpads and a nice zip case. These are no longer available as far as I am aware.

HD 25 II - 70 Ohms, 2m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-C II - 70 Ohms, 2/3m coiled copper cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-13 II - 600 Ohms, 3m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-SP II - Lower quality version without the split headband, 60 Ohms, 3m cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. (stealing from: http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50863 )

EDIT: First time, when unpacked in the shop, plugged into some (I really don´t know which exact type of) player with amp from Maratz.....and I must said, that I heard my best sound of Mick Jagger EVER
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 35
I got Sp version and imo they're great for portable devices. Withe better amps they show some weaknesses though (such as harsh trebles)

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 35
These are truly the Hummer, Toughbook, Otterbox Defender, etc. of the headphone world.  Love mine for general outdoor/rough environment purpose, and they do sound great as well (although I do have a slight dislike of their lower treble peak, it's still ok on most well mastered songs).

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
These are truly the Hummer, Toughbook, Otterbox Defender, etc. of the headphone world.  Love mine for general outdoor/rough environment purpose, and they do sound great as well (although I do have a slight dislike of their lower treble peak, it's still ok on most well mastered songs).

I concur. The battle tank of headphones, this thing is one tough nut to crack. Very good sound quality despite the size too.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 35

Information seems to be correct. Kudos for finding John Willett's post in DVdoctor!

I managed to speak to a colleague who worked on the HD 25 and was told that it was introduced in 1998 while the HD 25-1 II in 2002. Let's see if I can find some other interesting facts on these products. 

Quote:
I am a proud owner of HD 25 C-II for, let say - more than month...and I am Senn´addict, too
atsmile.gif

My background info bout this Senn´s series is splittage of it´s models....voila:

HD 25-1 II - 70 Ohms, 1.5m steel cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with leatherette *and* velour earpads and a drawstring carry bag.

HD 25-1 II Special Edition - 70 Ohms, 1.5m cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with only leatherette earpads and a nice zip case. These are no longer available as far as I am aware.

HD 25 II - 70 Ohms, 2m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-C II - 70 Ohms, 2/3m coiled copper cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-13 II - 600 Ohms, 3m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-SP II - Lower quality version without the split headband, 60 Ohms, 3m cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. (stealing from: http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50863 )

EDIT: First time, when unpacked in the shop, plugged into some (I really don´t know which exact type of) player with amp from Maratz.....and I must said, that I heard my best sound of Mick Jagger EVER
ksc75smile.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 35
OK, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question and I don't think a new thread is necessary . What is the difference between the models soundwise? I wonder because there is a huge difference between the price of the HD25 models.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 35
They all sound the same, except for the SP model, which uses different drivers and doesn't sound nearly as good.
Not really sure about the 600 ohm version though, I guess they might sound a bit better when fed by a nice amp. But I've never heard them.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 35
I'm gonna go for the sennheiser's HD 25-1 II. But i have one question about them:
I know they give good isolation from outside to inside, that means no outside noise disturbances for the listener. But i wanna know whether he gives good isolation from inside to outside; so i mean: whether the sound leaks out of the headphone so outsiders can hear the music too. I really hate it when people can hear my music when it's not really appropriate.
And what about this second isolation when the volume is set pretty high?
I hope someone can help me with his experience of this headphone. Thanks

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #13 of 35
It has great isolation from in -> out as well.  Volume set "high" is pretty subjective so it's hard to say, but when I listen loud to my standards I don't hear leakage (but then again I listen at a lower volume than a lot of people)

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 35
I have heard good things about the HD 25 and look forward to getting myself one someday. For the price in my country, however, one could get a decent full sized cans.

May I ask, what kind of compromise can I expect as compared with full sized cans ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back