The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #751 of 1,909

Am not getting your point. You are totally happy with your setup but still you want Jason to convince you to upgrade? Why? It sounds to me you feel they owe you that particular explanation....

I am purchased the Modi2 Uber and Magni2 Uber so I can replace my current home setup of Nuforce icon HDP (switchable optical, USB and Analog in) -> Original Asgard -> HE-400 / HD598
With the Uber setup I can increase the quality, add more juice and reduce my physical footprint. So for me - awesome. 

Cheers,
K

you're replacing asgard to magni 2 uber?

wow what a great time to (about to) own magni 2 uber.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #752 of 1,909

you're replacing asgard to magni 2 uber?

wow what a great time to (about to) own magni 2 uber.

Absolutely. You should feel very good about it. The original Asgard was upgraded to Asgard2 when the original Magni was released because the Magni was so good. I feel with the Magni2 Uber it trumps the original Asgard. I have all I need with the Uber stack and the Asgard2 would be only cosmetic (looks cooler and I love the volume dial) - so not really needed for me.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #754 of 1,909
  This has been covered a number of times. All of the info about the modi 2 vs, uber version can be found on their website. The link is below, don't forget to check the FAQ tab.
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

StanD,
I may be misreading what you wrote but I was told by one of the company reps that the Modi 2 Uber was still bus powered in USB mode. Sorry if I misread you though.

The USB port might be bus powered, however, the balance of the circuitry derives power from wall wart and linear power supply. I like the Uber, you're getting plenty of DAC for $150.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #759 of 1,909
Does anyone here use the Magni (any version) with more sensitive headphones? Just curious.

StanD,
I may be misreading what you wrote but I was told by one of the company reps that the Modi 2 Uber was still bus powered in USB mode. Sorry if I misread you though.

They told me this as well, but it still has to be plugged into the wall to function. It's not totally USB powered, which is a good thing in my book.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #760 of 1,909
The USB port might be bus powered, however, the balance of the circuitry derives power from wall wart and linear power supply. I like the Uber, you're getting plenty of DAC for $150.

Does anyone here use the Magni (any version) with more sensitive headphones? Just curious.

They told me this as well, but it still has to be plugged into the wall to function. It's not totally USB powered, which is a good thing in my book.

Ah okay I see what you were referring to now.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #761 of 1,909
  Apparently not, there's only just extra options such as Toslink and stuff.
No sonic differences suggested too

The Uber has an improved analog stage so it will sound better than the original modi

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #762 of 1,909

i've got the magni2u and a pair of grado 325e, its a great pairing

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #763 of 1,909

Is it possible to explain to a "layman" interested in getting into HiFi components what the difference is between the Uber and non-Uber Modi in terms of any kind of differences in the sound. I would be using the component only from a computer (i.e., USB) and so don't need the other inputs, but I don't understand what a "linear power supply" is or "tweaks to the analog" as tersely explained by the Schist tech. In other words, how does this impact sound... in your opinion?

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #764 of 1,909
Is it possible to explain to a "layman" interested in getting into HiFi components what the difference is between the Uber and non-Uber Modi in terms of any kind of differences in the sound. I would be using the component only from a computer (i.e., USB) and so don't need the other inputs, but I don't understand what a "linear power supply" is or "tweaks to the analog" as tersely explained by the Schist tech. In other words, how does this impact sound... in your opinion?

Nobody's heard it yet; I'm sure there will be people posting impressions once they do. But from a neophyte's perspective, what you should keep in mind is that differences in DACs are always subtle -- even people who believe strongly that audible differences between reasonable DACs exist (and there are plenty of people who don't) will admit that telling them apart in a head-to-head comparison takes a lot of concentration and careful listening to very, very minute differences.  And the difference between a Modi and an Uber Modi is going to be subtle even by the standards of that subtlety, as the two Modis are a lot more like each other than two wholly different DACs are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back