The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #736 of 1,909
Now I just need to find some $2,500 per meter SE interconnects to go with... :sunglasses: (that's sarcasim btw)

$2,500 per meter....cheapskate! I spent that much on cable risers and CD markers last year alone!
wink_face.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #738 of 1,909
So is the consensus that the Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber are going to provide the same sound quality except Uber has more ports? For the average consumer, will the extra ports even be useful?

It depends. I'm using the Modi 2U for my PC via USB and for my Xbox One via optical. The main reason I'm getting the Uber is for the ability to have multiple digital inputs. The ODAC I previously owned only had an USB input, which made it impossible for use with the Xbox.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #739 of 1,909
  So is the consensus that the Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber are going to provide the same sound quality except Uber has more ports? For the average consumer, will the extra ports even be useful?

This has been covered a number of times. All of the info about the modi 2 vs, uber version can be found on their website. The link is below, don't forget to check the FAQ tab.
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #740 of 1,909
Exactly what I was thinking. Deals screw over the people who paid more in the past.

Awesome pic!

Which cables are you using? I was going to get the Schiit PYST cables to stack them.

...But then again...since I am planning to get at least one aftermarket headphone cable for the Abyss AB-1266 with dual mini XLR connectors and 4-pin XLR termination, then use that cable with other headphones via adapters...I'm thinking that the added weight could potentially cause the Magni 2 Uber to topple over if I stack it on top of the Modi 2 Uber. (They only weigh one pound each.)

Got a reply. Here are the questions and answers.

Q: What does "a more sophisticated analog section" mean?
A: That’s pretty much all we’re going to say about that.

Q: For the USB noise or power limitations you mentioned, would they always be obvious and dramatic, or more subtle in terms of what you hear?
A: Obvious and dramatic.

Q: Oh, and someone else wanted to know if the Modi 2 Uber PSU will perform better than the Modi when using USB. Any comments on how the sound of the Modi, Modi 2, and Modi 2 Uber differ would also be helpful. (I think I read that the latter two are supposed to sound the same.)
A: I’m sorry, we’re getting into real subjective sales-talk here, which we do not do: schiit.com/about/principles

Typical nonsense answers I've received in the past.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #741 of 1,909
What you quoted was for the Modi 2, not Modi 2 Uber. Here is what they say for the latter:

The wording is a little ambiguous, and it may have been a misinterpretation on my part, but it makes it seem like the Uber requires drivers to work via USB with Windows at all. I guess that makes no sense, since it's supposed to be the superior product and such.

Should be automatic. You'd just need to make sure foobar2000 is configured the way you want it.

Three weeks is a long wait! :frowning2:

Being shipped from Mars?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #742 of 1,909
Quick! Someone tell me if I should go for it!

Modi to Modi 2 Uber?

I'm ordering tonight so someone stop me if its not worth it

For what it's worth...I'm totally satisfied with my original 1 year old Modi &Magni and don't see any logical need to upgrade. Unless I'm convinced that there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement to be gained by these "2/Über" models.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #748 of 1,909
Typical nonsense answers I've received in the past.

You expect every company to explain every single technical detail about why a new product should be better than a previous?  You can see Jason's response earlier in the thread about similar questions

post #235

and the story of the new products and how they came about

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4455#post_11156943

Not sure how much more you could ask for

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #749 of 1,909
C'mon a little patience. I'd prefer non bus powered, Class 2 USB Audio and whatever mysterious analog improvements they have to offer in the Uber. Besides,you never know when the need for those extra input types might arise.

StanD,
I may be misreading what you wrote but I was told by one of the company reps that the Modi 2 Uber was still bus powered in USB mode. Sorry if I misread you though.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #750 of 1,909
Haha! No need to upgrade on an already PERFECTly good product.

Am not getting your point. You are totally happy with your setup but still you want Jason to convince you to upgrade? Why? It sounds to me you feel they owe you that particular explanation....

I am purchased the Modi2 Uber and Magni2 Uber so I can replace my current home setup of Nuforce icon HDP (switchable optical, USB and Analog in) -> Original Asgard -> HE-400 / HD598
With the Uber setup I can increase the quality, add more juice and reduce my physical footprint. So for me - awesome. 

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back