The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #722 of 1,909
Seriously considering emailing about downgrading to the modi 2. Don't need the inputs of the uber and the wait is driving me crazy.

C'mon a little patience. I'd prefer non bus powered, Class 2 USB Audio and whatever mysterious analog improvements they have to offer in the Uber. Besides,you never know when the need for those extra input types might arise.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #724 of 1,909
C'mon a little patience. I'd prefer non bus powered, Class 2 USB Audio and whatever mysterious analog improvements they have to offer in the Uber. Besides,you never know when the need for those extra input types might arise.
I guess youre right. I just really want the magni as i need more power. Sound quality thru headphone Jack on my pc is excellent.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #725 of 1,909
I guess youre right. I just really want the magni as i need more power. Sound quality thru headphone Jack on my pc is excellent.

For a long time, I used Magni 1 to amp my PC's sound card. I never noticed any noise - but it was a high quality sound card, with a good DAC chip in it. I just upgraded the Magni to a Lyr 2, and now I hear very apparent noise. I can even hear a noise when I move my mouse.

The Magni may or may not do the same for you, if you have a cheap sound card. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #726 of 1,909
  For a long time, I used Magni 1 to amp my PC's sound card. I never noticed any noise - but it was a high quality sound card, with a good DAC chip in it. I just upgraded the Magni to a Lyr 2, and now I hear very apparent noise. I can even hear a noise when I move my mouse.

The Magni may or may not do the same for you, if you have a cheap sound card. 

I don't see how an amp is going to change the noise generated by your PC. Perhaps what you experienced was coincidental.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #727 of 1,909
  I don't see how an amp is going to change the noise generated by your PC. Perhaps what you experienced was coincidental.

The amp didn't change the noise, the Lyr just amplifies it more. Magni is 5x gain with 1.2W into 32 ohms, while the Lyr is 8x gain with 6W into 32 ohms. 

I'm guessing the extra power just made it more noticable?

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #729 of 1,909
  The amp didn't change the noise, the Lyr just amplifies it more. Magni is 5x gain with 1.2W into 32 ohms, while the Lyr is 8x gain with 6W into 32 ohms. 

I'm guessing the extra power just made it more noticable?

Only more noticeable if you were playing it louder. To get the same loudness on the Lyr you wouldn't turn up the volume control as much due to the gain. In any case no noise is a good thing,

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #730 of 1,909
  Only more noticeable if you were playing it louder. To get the same loudness on the Lyr you wouldn't turn up the volume control as much due to the gain. In any case no noise is a good thing,

Nope, same volumes. I'm sitting here now and switched back and forth multiple times, matching volume levels. Noticeable static sound on the Lyr 2 when no music is playing; nothing with the Magni.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #731 of 1,909
Nope, same volumes. I'm sitting here now and switched back and forth multiple times, matching volume levels. Noticeable static sound on the Lyr 2 when no music is playing; nothing with the Magni.

i had a similar issue with my lyr 2. was a grounding issue with the ac adapter. also can be an issue with the tubes. u shld contact schiit cs for troubleshooting sets

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #732 of 1,909

Maybe you have a ground loop with the Lyr2. Switch the power plugs/mains sockets for the amps and see if that makes a difference.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #733 of 1,909
  Maybe you have a ground loop with the Lyr2. Switch the power plugs/mains sockets for the amps and see if that makes a difference.

Hmm.. interesting. Switching them did seem to help a bit. The static is less noticable now, only getting annoying I max out Lyr's volume (which my ears couldn't handle anyway,) and I can still hear some sort of interference when I move my mouse that I can't hear at all on the Magni. Maybe it is just a volume thing, but there must be some sort of interference there with my sound card.

i had a similar issue with my lyr 2. was a grounding issue with the ac adapter. also can be an issue with the tubes. u shld contact schiit cs for troubleshooting sets

I contacted Schiit yesterday about an issue and they told me it was "tube microphonics," and are already sending me out a new pair. 

I'm wondering if these tubes are OK. I put my headphones on not plugged into anything, and they sound dead. When I plug them into my Lyr 2, with the RCA inputs unplugged, at every volume level, I hear a very quiet static sound.

Anyways, this doesn't have much to do with the gen 2 Magni/Modi, so I guess I should take this somewhere else. Thanks for the input, guys!

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #734 of 1,909
Fedex was good to me today. Modi 2 uber Magni 2 arrived. Did 2 mins with iems and with low gain has ample volume pot. (Unlike the fulla) Did not notice any imbalances at low volume. Will look into this later as I have very sensitive ears. Letting them burn in and will post my thoughts later.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #735 of 1,909
Just got an Apple TV and was wondering what DAC I should get to feed an all Meridian analog system... As a previous owner of Mjolnir and Gungnir (and gen1 Modi) I am pleased to see a Modi Uber in my future.

Now I just need to find some $2,500 per meter SE interconnects to go with... :sunglasses: (that's sarcasim btw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back