The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #691 of 1,909
  Just a thought: many of the questions asked here are answered on Schiit's website. The path of least resistance is to read the info there, then inquire here. (And if all else fails, you may end up getting a quicker and better response by contacting the company directly.)

You'll need to download and install the Windows drivers from Schiit's site to use the Modi 2 Uber via USB with Windows.

Honestly, 16-bit / 44.1 kHz is the highest PCM resolution you will ever need or benefit from. (Don't believe me? Read this article.)

If I was worried about being able to play files, I would simply use a program like dBpoweramp or foobar2000 to convert the 24-bit files to lossless 16-bit / 44.1 kHz and call it a day. (Sounds exactly the same.) But since I have no real space limitations, I just leave my files as they are.

The settings you're asking about depend on the player you use. If in doubt, consult the respective software tutorials.

hiya!

i did read the schiit product description. "Just plug in via USB and go with no drivers in Standard Mode, up to 24/96 output".

i use foobar.
the settings i ask, you said it's foobar dependent and not windows?
so i don't need to change any settings on windows?

though in fairness, my question is more about my fiio e10k than it is about the modi 2 non-uber really..
but since this is a modi 2 thread, i'm rewording it so that it's not out of topic.
i did e-mail fiio but it's holiday season, probably why i haven't receive replies.

other than that... it'll take international delivery around 3 weeks to reach me. well it's one week to reach the country and another 2 weeks for custom release.
i didn't think of asking schiit about this because i haven't even receive the goods.

but thank you for the explanation! :)

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #692 of 1,909
  hiya! thanks for the reply!

i did read the schiit product description. "Just plug in via USB and go with no drivers in Standard Mode, up to 24/96 output".

is there any settings on windows i should change to get 24/96 or it will output that automatically?

i use foobar.
the settings i ask, you said it's foobar dependent and not windows?
so i don't need to change any settings on windows?

though in fairness, my question is more about my fiio e10k than it is about the modi 2 non-uber really..
but since this is a modi 2 thread, i'm rewording it so that it's not out of topic.
i did e-mail fiio but it's holiday season, probably why i haven't receive replies.

other than that... it'll take international delivery around 3 weeks to reach me. well it's one week to reach the country and another 2 weeks for custom release.
i didn't think of asking schiit about this because i haven't even receive the goods.

What you quoted was for the Modi 2, not Modi 2 Uber. Here is what they say for the latter:

And, it’s ready for all sample rates, from 16/44.1 to 24/192. Again, Windows requires drivers. Alert to Microsoft: USB Audio Class 2 was, like, a decade ago. Please support it and stop requiring us to provide drivers. Seriously, Android phones support it.

The wording is a little ambiguous, and it may have been a misinterpretation on my part, but it makes it seem like the Uber requires drivers to work via USB with Windows at all. I guess that makes no sense, since it's supposed to be the superior product and such.

Should be automatic. You'd just need to make sure foobar2000 is configured the way you want it.

Three weeks is a long wait! :frowning2:

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #693 of 1,909

say headphone both direct to audio jack without the fiio e10k, the hisses on the laptop is WAY worse. the reason i got a fiio e10k in the first place.
on the PC, direct to audio jack, it's barely audible. actually. it's not audible except if i use my IEM. then i still hear hisses from PC.

when i plug the headphone through fiio e10k, i think the hisses from the laptop is worse, but the difference aren't as bad, aka ignorable. not negligible, but i can ignore it.

what headphones are you using? if the headphones output impedance is lower than your amp, you will get hissing.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #694 of 1,909

What you quoted was for the Modi 2, not Modi 2 Uber. Here is what they say for the latter:

The wording is a little ambiguous, and it may have been a misinterpretation on my part, but it makes it seem like the Uber requires drivers to work via USB with Windows at all. I guess that makes no sense, since it's supposed to be the superior product and such.

Should be automatic. You'd just need to make sure foobar2000 is configured the way you want it.

Nevermind, thought there was a switch to enable the higher bitrates/driver mode.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #695 of 1,909

what i ordered was the non-uber, that's why.

i live in a region where 1mbps internet cost $100 a month, so audio goods are stilll luxury item. and average people are somewhat tech-illiterate partially due to high internet cost and a information censorship. im an average person.

i didn't know or care about sample rate initially with fiio e10k. i just wanted the hiss from the laptop to be gone, which is accomplished somewhat by fiio e10k.

with the next-gen budget offering from schiit, i check out their product line and reads the 24/96 and 24/192 and from there i began checking fiio e10k spec and knew that fiio e10k can output 24/96 as well.

and from there, here i am.

yeah the annoying thing is to go to the customs office which is in another state and around 90 minutes drive to get it release.

regarding configuring foobar the way i want it.

do you yourself use foobar?
what other things i should configure other than file -> preferences -> playback -> output -> device, and point it to fiio e10k...

i've seen ASIO and WASAPI comes up from time to time in somebody's signature. and fiio e10k has a "after installing ASIO driver, don't disconnect the device while music is playing." instruction

but it doesn't explain whether it's a must to use asio driver, where in fiio site to get it, and what's it's for.

as you know by now, my knowledge is fragmented. i did tweaked my foobar from time to time, but mostly cosmetics plugins like lyrics and queue. i have no idea what ASIO is on foobar other than "don't use it if you don't understand it" according to this http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

haha!

what headphones are you using? if the headphones output impedance is lower than your amp, you will get hissing.

fiio e10k to 32ohm grado

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #696 of 1,909
  what i ordered was the non-uber, that's why.

do you yourself use foobar? what other things i should configure other than file -> preferences -> playback -> output -> device, and point it to fiio e10k...

But you said "still waiting for the ubers to arrive"...that's plural. XD

I use foobar2000 sometimes, but you should look for online tutorials if you want instructions.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #698 of 1,909

modi 2 and magni 2 uber.

hahahaha!

Wiseguy 
biggrin.gif
, The Magni line, uber or not has got to be the best value of quality audio gear out there. How long till they finally arrive?

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #700 of 1,909
  Wiseguy 
biggrin.gif
, The Magni line, uber or not has got to be the best value of quality audio gear out there. How long till they finally arrive?

the tracking said monday the 29th. but customs checking take their sweet time checking them things and losing them rubber feets and small accessories like stickers and the likes. i dont think they check with x-ray, they check manually by opening the box one by one.

my guesstimate is 2 or 3 weeks from today. before i can go to the customs to pay for the item to be released, i need to wait until they deliver the customs letter statement to my place first.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #701 of 1,909
  Wiseguy 
biggrin.gif

I'm hoping someone with a Bifrost gets a chance to compare the Modi 2 with it 
tongue.gif

I'm using a sound card DAC and my new Lyr 2 has made some noise in the signal apparent. I can hear when I move my mouse, strangely enough lol

So I'm looking into an external DAC now :S

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #702 of 1,909

the tracking said monday the 29th. but customs checking take their sweet time checking them things and losing them rubber feets and small accessories like stickers and the likes. i dont think they check with x-ray, they check manually by opening the box one by one.

my guesstimate is 2 or 3 weeks from today. before i can go to the customs to pay for the item to be released, i need to wait until they deliver the customs letter statement to my place first.

This is almost as if they're holding your Schiit hostage, I hate waiting the two days for Amazon prime to arrive when I order goodies, you've got be one patient person.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #703 of 1,909
  I'm hoping someone with a Bifrost gets a chance to compare the Modi 2 with it 
tongue.gif

I'm using a sound card DAC and my new Lyr 2 has made some noise in the signal apparent. I can hear when I move my mouse, strangely enough lol

So I'm looking into an external DAC now :S

I have a Bifrost Uber USB and am very tempted to get the Modi 2 Uber for another room. If it was immediately available I would have caved to my temptations. You know that Magni 2 Uber is awfully tempting as well. $300 for a killer stack,,,,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back