The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #676 of 1,909

Does the Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber have an audible channel imbalance when the volume pot is very low?

Schiit has definitely improved the quality of the Magni 2U's volume pot over the original Magni's and the low level channel balance now stays pretty well centered all the way down to inaudibility. 

Not sure if the Magni 2 uses the same pot as the Magni 2U (I would assume it does).  If it does, then it will have the same improvement as well.

Can someone who owns a Magni 2 comment on its low-level channel balance?

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #677 of 1,909

Which cables are you using? I was going to get the Schiit PYST cables to stack them.

I've currently got the Wyrd/Modi/Magni for my home computer.  Going to bring the Modi/Magni to the office, and ordered some Audioquest Evergreen/Forest cables for the office.

At home I've got the PYST USB cables to go to the Wyrd/Modi2U.  PYST RCA from the Modi2U to Magni2U, and Hosa RCA to 1/4" to go from the Pre-outs to my JBL speakers.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #678 of 1,909
  I've currently got the Wyrd/Modi/Magni for my home computer.  Going to bring the Modi/Magni to the office, and ordered some Audioquest Evergreen/Forest cables for the office.

At home I've got the PYST USB cables to go to the Wyrd/Modi2U.  PYST RCA from the Modi2U to Magni2U, and Hosa RCA to 1/4" to go from the Pre-outs to my JBL speakers.

Hmm. I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on how the Modi 2 Uber sounds with and without the Wyrd.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #679 of 1,909

Hmm. I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on how the Modi 2 Uber sounds with and without the Wyrd.

Sure.  I've had USB noise issues which is why I got the Wyrd.  Will see how it goes with the Modi2U having a power supply handling everything but the USB ports.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #681 of 1,909

how do i know whether i hav usb noise issues or not?

i really cant identify it...

You are probably good then. It's pretty clear when there are issues with USB noise.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #687 of 1,909

How is the hissing with the desktop PC compared to the laptop? More? Less?

say headphone both direct to audio jack without the fiio e10k, the hisses on the laptop is WAY worse. the reason i got a fiio e10k in the first place.
on the PC, direct to audio jack, it's barely audible. actually. it's not audible except if i use my IEM. then i still hear hisses from PC.

when i plug the headphone through fiio e10k, i think the hisses from the laptop is worse, but the difference aren't as bad, aka ignorable. not negligible, but i can ignore it.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #688 of 1,909
  say headphone both direct to audio jack without the fiio e10k, the hisses on the laptop is WAY worse. the reason i got a fiio e10k in the first place.
on the PC, direct to audio jack, it's barely audible. actually. it's not audible except if i use my IEM. then i still hear hisses from PC.

when i plug the headphone through fiio e10k, i think the hisses from the laptop is worse, but the difference aren't as bad, aka ignorable. not negligible, but i can ignore it.

Well, since you're already getting the Ubers, might as well wait and see how it goes with them before getting a USB hub or anything.

I have a Dell laptop as well, except mine is Alienware. I've never had hissing issues.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #689 of 1,909

Well, since you're already getting the Ubers, might as well wait and see how it goes with them before getting a USB hub or anything.

I have a Dell laptop as well, except mine is Alienware. I've never had hissing issues.

haha yeah! i wouldn't count alienware as dell though. dell is more office use so their lower-end products are just so-so...

by the way along the line of talking about DAC. i'd like to ask some questions about USB dac, well in my case the fiio e10k, but in extension, i guess it applies to the modi as well...

i've owned fiio e10k since it's out. use it on windows 8.1. all this time i just plug and play and never change any settings.

Is there any settings i should change on windows to get 24/96 output on modi?  or does it do it automatically?
if there is, where is it located? and can you point me as to what settings i should change?

by the way, when just plug n play on windows, what's the default setting that i get? is it 16/48?

and the most important one, when i unplug the modi and go back to using the PC audio jack directly, what settings i should change back, and to what?

thanks...

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #690 of 1,909
Just a thought: many of the questions asked here are answered on Schiit's website. The path of least resistance is to read the info there, then inquire here. (And if all else fails, you may end up getting a quicker and better response by contacting the company directly.)

haha yeah! i wouldn't count alienware as dell though. dell is more office use so their lower-end products are just so-so...

by the way along the line of talking about DAC. i'd like to ask some questions about USB dac, well in my case the fiio e10k, but in extension, i guess it applies to the modi as well...

i've owned fiio e10k since it's out. use it on windows 8.1. all this time i just plug and play and never change any settings.

Is there any settings i should change on windows to get 24/96 output on modi?  or does it do it automatically?
if there is, where is it located? and can you point me as to what settings i should change?

by the way, when just plug n play on windows, what's the default setting that i get? is it 16/48?

and the most important one, when i unplug the modi and go back to using the PC audio jack directly, what settings i should change back, and to what?

thanks...

You'll need to download and install the Windows drivers from Schiit's site to use the Modi 2 Uber via USB with Windows.

Honestly, 16-bit / 44.1 kHz is the highest PCM resolution you will ever need or benefit from. (Don't believe me? Read this article.)

If I was worried about being able to play files, I would simply use a program like dBpoweramp or foobar2000 to convert the 24-bit files to lossless 16-bit / 44.1 kHz and call it a day. (Sounds exactly the same.) But since I have no real space limitations, I just leave my files as they are.

The settings you're asking about depend on the player you use. If in doubt, consult the respective software tutorials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back