The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #646 of 1,909
if you thought the bifrost was indistinguishable from the vdac2, note that the bifrost is supposed to be a much higher end dac than the modi and people say that it sounds better than the modi.

I wonder how many people can really tell the difference. 
blink.gif
 Just say'in.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #647 of 1,909
I wonder how many people can really tell the difference. :blink:  Just say'in.

i wld tend to agree that it wld probably b hard to tell the differences between dacs in a blind test... just not sure why u wld get a modi if u alrdy have a bifrost tho lol

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #648 of 1,909
i wld tend to agree that it wld probably b hard to tell the differences between dacs in a blind test... just not sure why u wld get a modi if u alrdy have a bifrost tho lol

Different listening location, irresistible impulse, etc.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #649 of 1,909

My Bifrost is standing on my computer desk. My other DAC is hidden in the TV rack with other Hi-Fi equipment.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #650 of 1,909
To do away with having to use a powered hub. Could something like this be used to use the coax input on the modi uber? I'm currently using a note3 via otg to play music.
For the phone you will need a USB OTG Cable, Micro-B Male connects to the phone the other end (USB Type A) female will require another USB Type A cable to plug into the USB Powered Hub you will have to get. The Hub connects to the DAC and usually comes with a Type A USB Cable. You will need RAC cables to go from the DAC to the Amp. Schiit recommends the below DAC, I got it and it works fine, I like the power switch,
http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Head-4-Port-Powered-UH5500ESP/dp/B004OBZ088/

You can find info on the below link from Schiit's website, which includes the whole story and links to getting all of the cables.
http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

By the way, the Note 3 (which I have) does not require any special software to play music files. The guide on the Schiit site recommends special software, USB Player Pro, you won't need this as any music player will work with the Note3.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #651 of 1,909
To do away with having to use a powered hub. Could something like this be used to use the coax input on the modi uber? I'm currently using a note3 via otg to play music.

You would still need an OTG cable to connect to the smartphone (android/Note 3) as the standard USB cable is not wired the same. They mention using an OTG USB adapter for an Apple device, which is wrong as one needs the CCK adapter for iDevices.
This device draws power from the source so if the Note 3 cannot supply enough power it wouldn't work. They don't spec, the power requirements. Looks cute, might be worth trying.
http://www.stanleyelecs.com/se1001.html

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #652 of 1,909
  Uh, maybe give them 5 minutes. The Dragonfly has an amp built in, not much power, the Modi is pure DAC, Which version of the Dragonfly do you have?
I tell you, that Modi 2 Uber looks to be an incredible bargain. I would definitely spend the extra $50 on the Uber.

I have version 1.2.   I won't mind spending another 50 bucks for a better dac , but I really don't need the extra connections as I only use USB from my PC.
Is the modi2 uber better DAC than the modi2 ? 

Does  the modi2 have 2 clocks for the asynchronous transfer (dual clock) ?

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #653 of 1,909
I'm going to order one. Hopefully it will work. Would be nice to do without the need for a hub for USB input.
You would still need an OTG cable to connect to the smartphone (android/Note 3) as the standard USB cable is not wired the same. They mention using an OTG USB adapter for an Apple device, which is wrong as one needs the CCK adapter for iDevices.
This device draws power from the source so if the Note 3 cannot supply enough power it wouldn't work. They don't spec, the power requirements. Looks cute, might be worth trying.
http://www.stanleyelecs.com/se1001.html

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #654 of 1,909

I have version 1.2.   I won't mind spending another 50 bucks for a better dac , but I really don't need the extra connections as I only use USB from my PC.
Is the modi2 uber better DAC than the modi2 ? 

Does  the modi2 have 2 clocks for the asynchronous transfer (dual clock) ?

The Uber supports USB Audio 2 specs and has an improved analog section with linear power supply, so it is a better device, 
The specs for the USB chip are below, it does support asynch transfer. The chip has it's own crystal oscillator, PLL, CPU and logic. The DAC section should have it's own independant clocking.
This is the same USB chip as the Bifrost's USB and nobody complains about jitter.
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail/page-p/C1Serno-25/C2Serno-27/PSerno-43.html

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #655 of 1,909
  The Uber supports USB Audio 2 specs and has an improved analog section with linear power supply, so it is a better device, 
The specs for the USB chip are below, it does support asynch transfer. The chip has it's own crystal oscillator, PLL, CPU and logic. The DAC section should have it's own independant clocking.
This is the same USB chip as the Bifrost's USB and nobody complains about jitter.
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail/page-p/C1Serno-25/C2Serno-27/PSerno-43.html

Thx, so I understand that the difference between the modi2 and the modi2 uber is not only the inputs.. if so I will certainly think about getting it.
Another question, and excuse me for the ignorance.. But the modi2's output fixed line level signal ?  in their site it says: 1.5v RMS , and I know that usually line level is 2v.
Can you please elaborate on this ?

EDIT: I also pleased with the fact that the uber has an external PSU (is it external?) and not powered by the PC, this means that a usb isolator is not necessary ?

Thx.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #656 of 1,909

Thx, so I understand that the difference between the modi2 and the modi2 uber is not only the inputs.. if so I will certainly think about getting it.
Another question, and excuse me for the ignorance.. But the modi2's output fixed line level signal ?  in their site it says: 1.5v RMS , and I know that usually line level is 2v.

EDIT: I also pleased with the fact that the uber has an external PSU (is it external?) and not powered by the PC, this means that a usb isolator is not necessary ?

Thx.

The 1.5V is the maximum output, not the nominal level. If I remember, the nominal line level for consumer audio gear is just under 1/3 VRMS, I wouldn't worry as that's plenty as the amp that follows will have more than enough gain to get very loud.
The external PSU is an AC Wall Wart, the linear power supply is inside the Modi 2 Uber. The Wyrd is not a true isolator as the grounds are connected between gear. I think few of us need any such device.
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in these measurments, enjoy some music instead as this is some Baaad Schiit.

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #659 of 1,909

Thx.

I thought you were following the thread and had seen my posts:

Quotes for the curious:

So what’s the difference between Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber?
Lots of things. Let’s break it down:

Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

And the difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber?
Lots. Let’s break it down:

Inputs: Modi 2 only has USB, Modi 2 Uber has USB, optical, and coax.
Control: Modi 2 has no controls, Modi 2 Uber has an input selection switch.
Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart.
Chassis: Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis, while Modi 2 Uber has an aluminum top and pushbutton (pinched off the Bifrost, natch!)

Modi 2 Uber also has "a more sophisticated analog section"...whatever that means.

Okay, I just got in contact with someone at Schiit. (Man, they reply fast! Literally in eight minutes.)

The Modi 2 Uber is still USB powered when you connect via USB. However...

it needs to be plugged into the wall. The linear power supply runs everything but the USB input.

I also asked them this:

What are the benefits of using an external USB hub (or the Wyrd) with the Modi 2 Uber on a laptop?

And they replied with:

If you have USB noise or power limitations, it can help eliminate those.

Most people using it with a computer wouldn't need a USB hub, isolator, or whatever. Some have reported sound quality improvements from using the Wyrd, even with DACs that are not USB powered at all...but I personally don't know whether it's worth the trouble.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #660 of 1,909

Most people using it with a computer wouldn't need a USB hub, isolator, or whatever. Some have reported sound quality improvements from using the Wyrd, even with DACs that are not USB powered at all...but I personally don't know whether it's worth the trouble.

Thx for the response.   Soooo..  what exactly DOES "a more sophisticated analog section" mean ??     
And the second question I got : is the modi uber PSU will perform better than the modi when using the USB only?     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back