The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #46 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?

You betcha

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Currently own 1585 sacd's with about 50 still on order

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?

1585 sacd, 6026 cd,  NO FILES

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 

Absolutely would not buy a DAC without native SACD

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

YES!

I use music collector to manage all of this.  (collextorz.com)

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 333
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
10% of typical music
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Yes, I would pursue more SACD
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Yes

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #48 of 333

Yes and from what I understand, they were not very successful.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No

0%, 5%, 95%

No, my main consideration when looking for a DAC is the performance to price ratio.

$0 because it seems like it would not be worth it to pay extra when I am content with 320kbps MP3 and lossless.

I don't think the market for those formats is so big that you guy should dedicate time and resource for them...but then again, I'm not THAT type of audiophile.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? YES
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?5 PERCENT
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?   YES
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? YES

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #50 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Nope.

All my CDs are ripped to lossless. (0%, 2%, 98%)

Nope.

Yes IF I have any SACDs, although I don't know how much I'd be willing to pay.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #51 of 333
I never win anything, but what the heck:

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No.

None.

No.

$300.

Edit:  FYI Jason, I think using one of the many free online survey tools to create a survey, then posting the link here for feedback would be a far more efficient use of Schiit's time.  You can export to CSV or similar, and that makes getting to the good stuff--data analysis--much faster.  (At least for future reference)

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #52 of 333

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
None
0%,1%,99%
No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? Not much

EDIT:
6. Wish you guys made a DAC with balanced XLR outs that I could control my monitors with and 2 toslink inputs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #54 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No

50% CD 50% files

No

$0. Not interested.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #55 of 333
Quote:

Yessir.  
2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Not anymore. went digital a couple years ago.

It was at about 5%

Yes.  It is the new buzzword, and as all your products are supposed to be buzzword compliant, it should be important to you too.  Meitner, Mytek, DCS, Resonessonce (in the near future) Emm Labs... you would be in good company.  There are a few labels devoting themselves to downloadable DSD content now as well.  I see it as being the next trend.

I have a feeling it would depend on how much I payed for the DAC.  on a $600 DAC I wouldn't pay more than $300 psychologically.  If I had spent 6K on a  Weiss 202 I might spend $1000.  

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #56 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

A few albums out of hundreds (maybe 1%), mostly for novelty and reference. Most of my music is FLAC and 320 MP3.

No

Depends on my future plans and the accessibility of SACD in my country. Maybe $100-$250 if I really get serious about SACD

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #57 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No - currently don't have the gear to play them.  Have always been interested though.

~0% SACD, 3-4% HD FLAC purchases online (24/96), 96-97% CDs (Ripped to FLAC)

Not at this time - but could be for future.  Currently have youngish family and mortgage.  Will slowly continue to upgrade as funds allow.

Assuming I eventually get s SACD capable player - imagine around $200?  Not entirely sure what the tech costs to be honest.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #58 of 333

Quote:
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
N/A
No
150-300

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #59 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

approx 10%

As of late, yes. I am looking at the Mytek DSD DAC at the moment.

Depending on the initial costs of the pre-DSD DAC in the first place. Mytek DSDB DAC is around $1435.

[Wishlist] Following factors will sway my decision of buying an external DSD DAC in the first place.
* Balanced XLR output
* USB 2.0/Firewire DSD input as this will be primarily for my desktop playing DSD ISO/DFF/DSF files.
* ES9018 DAC preferred over Cirrus Logic. I already have a Cirrus Logic in my SACD Player.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #60 of 333

Quote:
  1. Yes, I heard of the technology, but does not have any experience with them.
2. Do you own any SACDs?
  1. No
  1. N/A
  1. No
  1. <$300, only if it is awesome and worth experimenting. 

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back