The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #61 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

Yes.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?

10-15% SACD vs 85-90% CD

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?

In todays market, yes

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

200-300 USD

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #62 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

Yes.

As a percentage it's small but I own a lot of CDs and my SACD collection is rapidly growing.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?

Hasn't been to this point since not many exist at reasonable prices and dedicated SACD players are more affordable.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

Open depending on the quality. Would have to soundly beat my current SACD player but the idea of having DSD conversion decoupled from the transport is appealing.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #63 of 333
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Only heard about it.
2. No.
3. N/A.
4. No.
5. Not sure as never owned any SACDs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #64 of 333

YES

2. Do you own any SACDs?
NO

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files

NO

NO

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #65 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

Yes.

.05% SACD, 99.95% FLAC

Not really

Due to answer 4, the answer is no.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #66 of 333
Yes and yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes, about 20 SACDs & hybrids.

2% SACD, 98% CD or FLAC rips thereof.

No.

It would have to come with a persuasively low price tag given the small number of SACDs I own. Maybe $100-200.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.
Thanks for the chance!

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #67 of 333
  Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
    Yes 5 total.

1%

Nice to have option if its not too expensive.

10 to 20 % of the value of the DAC

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #68 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?    

No

0% vs 100%

No

I would pay for the upgrade if I decided to incorporate SACD/DSD into my music library. 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #69 of 333

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. 12% SACD 88% CD (most of recent purchases are SACDs)
4. This is the only thing I am missing from my existing setup.
5. $300

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #70 of 333
Quote:

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No.)

No, catalogue too small and lossless digital is easier to store.

150$ at most simply becausi don't feel it is important

[/quote]

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #71 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.

0% vs 100%

No, because I do not own any SACD.

No, because I have no plan to purchase any SACD in the future. I will keep using lossless files as my main source.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #72 of 333
  1. Yes. An authority on the subject? No.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  1. Yes

1. Somewhere between 5% and 10% . . . and it is growing.

1. No. Well . . . not if the DAC can't handle surround sound; but that would only be for the SACDs where I like the surround mix. Sort of depends. And would I have to provide the HDMI audio splitter or would the DAC have an HDMI interface?

1. Maybe a third of the price of the base DAC? It would depend on functionality.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #73 of 333

1. I am fairly new to SACD.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  1. I own a few albums

1. Perhaps 1%

1. No, it is a nice feature but ultimately not that great a motivator.

1. I would be willing to pay about a third of the price of the DAC itself, otherwise I would consider a new unit.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #74 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No, but I'm thinking about trying SACDs in the future.

My high-res library is increasing, but from HDTracks and the like, but I'm guessing that doesn't count.

It depends on how readily available a suitable transport to go with the DAC was.

That very much depends on how much I paid for the DAC and how much of a sound upgrade I could possible get as a result of the upgrade.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #75 of 333

Yes. I read about the new push for standardization on Positive Feedback, which I imagine is part of 
what this survey is about.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
YES

2%

Not now, because most of the decent SACD's are classical, which is not important to me because you can
get high quality classical vinyl for a couple of dollars and that smokes any digital format right now.
If electronic music downloads were DSD I would be broke for the rest of my life.  

Cost is relative to availability of music. No one pays a lot now for SACD now because there is hardly anything on SACD. 
   So I say, $100 for early adopters to start the resurgence and $150 once the format takes off and demand for robust features 
   starts to be asked for.

I think this awesome that you guys are even considering this!!  Good of you to avoid complacency!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back