The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #91 of 333
Thanks for the responsiveness and the poll.  I always want to learn more, so I'd be very interested in understanding more about why DSD is a flawed format (if the machine translating Mike's statements into non-"cursive" can hold out long enough before burning up :wink:.

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes.  Familiar with the formats and have read a little about what they are. 

2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes, at this point by accident.  That is, an artist I love (Jordi Savall) is now releasing his discs in SACD/CD hybrid format, so if I want to hear more of his stuff, it's in that format. 

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  Just a couple SACDs of thousands of discs (most of the Savall I own is older, pre-hybrid), so less than 1%.  I have a bunch of rips, some downloaded hi-res PCM, and a couple of downloaded albums in DSD format.  Probably 75% CDs, 20% CD rips, 5% downloads of which the vast majority is hi-res PCM and less than 1% is DSD.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  Not completely sure what you mean by "SACD decoding" - something using the HDMI output of an Oppo player?  Heard that may kinda suck re audio quality.  I don't know how much of your market is comprised of audiophiles with Oppos itching to plug the HDMI output into a DAC.  (Got an Oppo myself but wouldn't be interested in using the HDMI output unless the audio quality was right.)  DSD decoding, yes.  This gets us out from under the near-impossible situation Sony has created for SACDs, and goes along with the general music and audio industry movement from discs to files.  I'm always driven more by artists than formats, and I've heard enough people sound good enough on DSD downloads that I want to be able to hear more.  (Check out the Blue Coast Collection.  Remember Glen Moore of Oregon?  There's about 10 seconds of his bass playing on the final track of the Collection, just enough to really make you want more of that beautiful sound.  Of course that's not all of the Collection that's good.  I like most of the other artists as well, and it sounds very, very well recorded to me.) 

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  I'm thinking along the same lines as Anaxilus, $200-250.  As someone else pointed out, there's the Mytek at $1400-$1600, so if you were adding this capability to the statement DAC you'd have to consider the quality and price of the competition.  Among the segment of folks who are really into DSD (*big* threads on Computer Audiophile forum and elsewhere about this stuff, but I don't know how many people in your market that would represent), the Mytek is kind of the only game in town right now under the multi-thousand dollar mark.

Thanks again for the poll - appreciate the chance to blabber, and the other replies are really interesting.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #92 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? sure
2. Do you own any SACDs? none
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 30% vinyl, 30% cd, 39% wav. etc and 1% hi-res flac.
high-res music downloads are fun, but quite expensive and there's just so much more music coming out/in on cd and vinyl.
I've allways thought SACD and DSD will never outgrow the niche-market, but that's just my opinion.
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? no
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
everything pcm or analog with me and I'm keeping it with these formats, so I wouldn't pay for an obsolete option.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #93 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
      Yes to both.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
       No, I don't

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
          SACD:     0%
       CD Files: 100%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
        It's a very low-level curiosity at best, though I have yet to even hear it for the first time yet.
        The no wishy-washy answer at the moment is No.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
        Hard to say, based on not having heard it yet, per answer 4.
        The no wishy-washy answer at the moment is I don't think I'm interested.
         I'd much prefer that you guys create something amazing with the usual astronomical price/performance.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #94 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. 2% (10 SACDs, 500CDs)
4. I have not yet been in the market for a DAC.  I enjoy my SACDs (which I play through a Pioneer DV-563 player) a lot.  If DSD files were available, I would strongly consider DSD decoding.
5. $20.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #95 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes, Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?  Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? I'd say 5% of my music is SACD format
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No - problem being I'm under the impression not many DACs do this anyways so the expectation is quite low
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? If I liked the DAC enough and it could best my xa5400es internal DAC I'd say maybe $2-300.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #96 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

0% SACD, 60% CD, 40% Lossless

Won't be the major consideration.

It's good to have flexibility to upgrade for those who need. But probably not for me.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #97 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Only a couple.
A very, very small percentage. Files are so much easier to get a hold of.
Not in the least, and I don't believe it ever will be. I think it's time has come and gone.
If it were to be something I WAS interested in, I think something in the $200-300 range would be fine, I'm assuming it wouldn't be on an entry level DAC anyway, so the base price of the DAC would be much higher.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #98 of 333

YES

2. Do you own any SACDs?

YES

Approx 5%, but I have approx 1000 cd's

YES. I like to have my Hi-Res played back as such.

$500.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #99 of 333

Quote:

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
SACD 0%, CD 2%, Files 98%
Not for me.
I likely would not pay for such an upgrade. If were interested in this feature, maybe $100-$300.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #100 of 333
Not interested in SACD or DSD.
Happy with FLAC and CD media. I could use a Bifrost.
smile.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #101 of 333

YES

2. Do you own any SACDs?

YES

maybe 5% at this point, mostly FLAC files vs CD's for the rest

immediately, No, but I could see it becoming a consideration in the future

This would depend on the quality of the DAC compared to the competition at the time of the upgrade, probably 20-30% of the initial investment.

Thanks,
Ed

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #102 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Sure am , I can remember when it was introduced (at quite a price premium) and my interest level was quite high however I could not afford it until recently.
2. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon so far , I'm waiting for a few to get back in stock at the retailer I use online before I purchase anymore. This really hurts SACD's in general , the scarcity of there availability is disconcerting.
3. Its safe to say the vast majority of my collection is CD's , then files (about 74 Gigabytes of them) and as mentioned 1 SACD (with many more to come , they aren't all very easy to get sadly).
4. I would say its probably not at the top. For me I would rather be focused on the quality of the DAC. Does it resample? Does it have a proper dedicated PSU or a wall wart? Can it do Async/Adaptive on USB? Is it constructed well? Can I upgrade it in the future? These questions come well before wondering if it does proper SACD decoding.
5.This would be a tough call , I already own an Oppo BDP-83 so its unlikely that I would find SACD decoding to be a make or break feature for an external DAC to begin with , much less paying to upgrade my DAC to be able to decode it.

Still loving my recently acquired Valhalla :) Keep up the good work Schiit!

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #103 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?   Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?  No
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?   70% CD, 30% Flac
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  Not for now
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  60- 100$

Would love to buy a brand new Asgard with a free Bifrost :) 

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #104 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
NO
NO
$100

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

THANKS!

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #105 of 333

Quote:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1. Yes
2. No
3. Files, mostly 16/44
4. Not for me
5. I probably would not upgrade as I do not need DSD support.  If I did however, maybe ~ $100 -150...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back