The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #106 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Sorta, not really.
2. Do you own any SACDs? Nope
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 95% files, 5% cds
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? no
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? no

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #107 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? No.  DSD?  No.

2. Do you own any SACDs?  Nope.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? Nada. 10% 90%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  Cant really say, but hey why not?

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  Only after I researched on what they were and felt it was worth it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #108 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes. No.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
N/A.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Probably $150-$200, only if I owned some SACD.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #109 of 333
Yes. Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes.

1 SACD, Dozens of CD, Thousands of files

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Not at this point, but I prefer CDs to files for more serious listening, so it would be nice to have this option.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
If I get more SACDs, ~$150 unless the rest of my gear gets significantly better by this time.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #110 of 333
i havent read all the replys but most seem nonplussed about DSD. i think the respondents that dont own SACDs shouldnt even respond. perhaps its the demographic here. qubling over 150-300 dollars for DSD is silly, id pay a lot more if done right. if 1500 is the target for the statement piece its still cheap! i fully expect it to compare to the weiss, berkeley, meitner, et al.

seems people are also confused about using a SACD CDP as a transport, we're not talking about that - its not feasible nor needed. This survey should only pertain to DSD files from a compter/server sent over USB to a DAC. its comng and will be a reality and something the cognoscenti among high-enders will want. certain standards have to be established, looks like some of the best known mfr are on board and purveyors of downloadable hires music are wainting in the wings.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #111 of 333

Quote:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
No
0% SACD, 25% CD, 75% files -- all of my CDs get ripped to file and then stored. 
Nope -- not an important consideration. 
Maybe $200. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #112 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  I know of them, don't know alot about them.

2. Do you own any SACDs?  yes, only 1 or 2.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  CD>99%   SACD<1% (don't listen to music at the computer, so no files there.)

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? not at all, I might notice it, but I wouldn't consider it important.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? As I don't really use SACD/DSD, nor do I own a player for these formats, if I were going to, maybe 100-150USD

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #113 of 333
Quote:
i havent read all the replys but most seem nonplussed about DSD. i think the respondents that dont own SACDs shouldnt even respond. perhaps its the demographic here. qubling over 150-300 dollars for DSD is silly, id pay a lot more if done right. if 1500 is the target for the statement piece its still cheap! i fully expect it to compare to the weiss, berkeley, meitner, et al.

seems people are also confused about using a SACD CDP as a transport, we're not talking about that - its not feasible nor needed. This survey should only pertain to DSD files from a compter/server sent over USB to a DAC. its comng and will be a reality and something the cognoscenti among high-enders will want. certain standards have to be established, looks like some of the best known mfr are on board and purveyors of downloadable hires music are wainting in the wings.

Politely disagree. We want everyone's opinion, whether they own SACD or not.

That's the purpose of this research--to see what people are using, what they have, and what's important to them. It may also be very helpful to other manufacturers who need to make their own decision as to which standards to support. In the end, we will make our own decision as to what we will support, partially based on the results of this research, partially based on other research, and partially based on our own assessment of the potential of DSD. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #114 of 333
Yes, Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
None.

No SACDs, many lossless ripped CDs as files, <5% 'HD files'. 

Not at all, the format(s) have a complete dearth (lack) of any meaningful content to me as a listener. Very disappointing.

On one hand, I'd pass on such an upgrade entirely, on the other, probably something in line with your USB upgrade options pending relevant content, but that's a BIG IF (see 4.)

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #115 of 333
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

All I know is they are hi-end material, so, broke as I am, I'm not interested
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
0%
No
it depends on the price I paid for the DAC in the first place, but no more than 150 USD
That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 
You're welcome :)
All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #116 of 333
      Quote:

Exactly, playing DSD/.DSF files over a USB cable is key, imho.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #117 of 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, 30+

5% for SACDs 80% CDs other audio files

No, sound quality first.

Yes.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #118 of 333

Quote:
      Quote:

Exactly, playing DSD/.DSF files over a USB cable is key, imho.

+1

I don't have any plans to vastly expand my SACD collection. I'll pick up a few here and there, but I am really looking forward to DSD/DSF over USB.
Currently some players, like Audrivana Plus, can convert to PCM on the fly, but native is the way to go. SACD is all but dead, butI would love to see a push in the availability of DSD files.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #119 of 333
Jason,

Yes I'm familiar - I keep looking at the classical music available for SACD especially.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No, except for a couple (3) of hybrid disks - I can't play the straight SACD or DSD because I don't have the equipment.

0% SACD - approx 75% CD, 25 % downloaded files

Nope - never once considered it.

About $100

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #120 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?   Yes, and not so much.

2. Do you own any SACDs?   A couple.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?   2 vs. 836, so like ~.0024% I think. A hi-rez download or two as well.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?   It's always good to stay current, but I obviously rip redbook CD's for the most part. For me the recording/mastering quality is the most important factor by far.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?   Hard to say. It's good to be future-proof though. I do like the fact that it could be an option that I might consider at a later date, as it reduces the cost of entry.

Thanks for the opportunity Jason
beerchug.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back