The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #136 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes, have been watching the technology for some years now.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No. The price difference over regular CDs makes it not worth it.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
Zero

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
While I have no SACDs yet, when I buy something new it would be planning for the future.
Ultimately it depends on the price difference. If having SACD/DSD capability adds:
+ 5% cost to the DAC - Yes
>10%+ cost to the DAC - Probably not

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Unlikely, since SACDs have not really taken off.
But having an upgrade option encourages me to buy the DAC in the first place.
I like the option of there being an upgrade path, incase SACDs become more popular.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #137 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
A few, but then I stopped buying hirez SACD / DVD Audio in favor of downloads from HD Tracks, etc

SACD: <.1%, CD (then turned into FLACs) 90%, 320kbps MP3 downloads: remaining.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No.  Separately, hirez DACs are important to me.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
N/A, no forseeable use for SACD/DSD media.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #138 of 333

Quote:

Yes, not really.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

I was going to say "no", but I remember now that I have Stile Antico's wonderful "Song of Songs" album in SACD format since that is the only format it comes in - but it still plays on regular CD players (maybe they all do?).

not.

No, but maybe in a Universal Player.  If you were to make a Blu-ray/SACD/DVD/CD universal player that has digital inputs so that it also serves as a fully functional DAC and pre-amp that I can hook my computer up to, and then build in an awesome Headphone amp along with volume controlled pre-amp outputs on the back along with at least one set of analog inputs, and a bypassable tube buffer stage: well then sir I will be purchasing your product. Oh, and don't forget the remote!

I wouldn't get the upgrade, but I thought most if not all SACD players would not output digital signals anyway; only 2-channel analog due to some type of copyright protection scheme.

-------------------------------------------------------------
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #139 of 333
Yes, read up about it since 2007 when i first heard about it, was following the sony brand profusely when i was in high school. =)

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Nope but plan to in the future for a few albums which i really like.

0%

No and yes. In the much later future it would be an important consideration as i plan to invest in audio cd's with a proper player and would love to have that option. However i would only purchase SACD / DSD for a selected few albums. As for now it  is not an important consideration as i have a limited budget and rip everything (i share audio cd's with my friends) through flac.

Easily an extra 300usd.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #140 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? No. Don't have suitable equipment to play SACD.
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No for SACD, yes for DSD as I plan to purchase DSD tracks in future.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? $100-$200

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #141 of 333

Not very.. from what I have learned it makes no difference, although they tend to be mastered better.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

No

Mostly digital listening, but I own tons of CDs and vinyl

Certainly not.

Nothing.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #142 of 333
No, physical formats beyond CD haven't taken off enough for me to take note.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

0%

No.  Wouldn't even consider it until they become more mainstream.  It does me no good to upgrade formats if I can't get the album I want at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't until the format further develops.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #143 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?--Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?--No

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?--N/A 0%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?--No, not at this time.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?--Don't currently need it and would not pay for upgrade.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #144 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

A few

Less than 1%

Not if I can somehow rip it to a 24/88 stream

$150

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #145 of 333

SACD, yes.  DSD, vaguely.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

I don't think I do. 

I've ripped every CD I currently own to FLAC.  When buying product, I still tend to first look for a physical product that I can later rip.

Probably not - unless the music industry plans on pushing either format.  But, especially with Sony's recent issues, it appears that SACD is pretty much dead. 

Not much.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #146 of 333

Yes. I own a Sony [size=small]SCD-XA9000ES SACD Player.[/size]

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes. Not that many.

10%

No. Most of my recent music are downloaded PCM files 24/96.

No. I believe PCM 24/96 or 24/192 is enough resolution and dynamic range.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #147 of 333

No
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
Not applicable
No
No

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #148 of 333
SACD - Yes.  DSD - No.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.

0%

No.

It wouldn't be something I'd upgrade for, so $0.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #149 of 333

YUP and YUP.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
YUP - about 250.

About 15% of my collection is SACD. But, more importantly, of new releases, more than 90% are SACDs.  I try to only buy hi-rez recordings today (or hi-rez re-releases of older analog recordings), so I hardly buy CDs anymore. 

Crucial. I would never buy a CD player today that couldn't play SACD. And I wouldn't buy a DAC that couldn't play pure DSD files ... especially now that Channel Classics is offering pure DSD downloads.

Just play DSD files?  Or play them natively?? Many universal players can play SACDs, but they don't have a direct pure DSD to analog D/A converter ... I don't want DSD converted to PCM. I'd just want the pure thing: pure DSD to analog. If yours did that ... I'd certainly be interested. Sweet spot would probably be an extra $100 or $200.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #150 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? - yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? - yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? ~ 10%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? - yes (it helps - I just bought a dac over another because of DSD capability) 
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? - yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back