The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 333
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 333

Quote:

Yes,

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes

~5% SACD, 5% HD FLAC downloads (24/96/192), 90% CDs (Ripped to lossless @ 16/44)

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
It is not currently a deal breaker, but I think future DACs should look to this format as it is the next step for audiophiles in the digital realm.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

If reasonably priced, yes.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 333

Quote:

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes. (Mostly classical music SACDs.)

5% SACD 95% CD

No, because I own a SACD player and SACDs form a low percentage of my collection.

Yes I will because I would like to have second DAC option in addition to my SACD player. And to elaborate, I see the specs for the Wolfson, AKM etc chips and I see that these chips are DSD-capable to begin with. So it has been disappointing that there are few DSD-capable DACs on the market. (Yes, I know that it has been a real pain dealing with Sony?)

Also, I would also add that in my opinion, a higher end DAC should offer not just balanced outputs but also the choice of digital filter. Minimum phase, apodizing, etc. To sum up, I want to have the option to tweak the sound.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 333
Quote:
Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No.

0% SACD, 5% CD, 95% files.

No.

I would.  Not sure what I would pay.  Maybe $300?

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 333
Yes, I have a SACD player with HDMI DSD and have a DSD Decoder in my main home audio amp

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes - some say too many!

Probably about 10% SACD - as a collector I have quite a few duplicates :)

Yes - the SACD player is just a transport - getting the best possible audio chain onwards is very important, I have 2 players but only 1 dedicated DSD system.

I most certainly would.

As an addiditon, I have a bunch of 5.1 multichannel and Quad SACDs - so keep this in mind when developing a SACD/DSD solution - a straight 2 channel decoder isn't my cup of tea :)

BT

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 333

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes
2% SACD, 98% CD
No, because I have small collection of SACDs.
Sure, why not, I have been looking to get more SACDs. Not sure how much I would pay, but I would consider it if priced resonably.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 333

Quote:
Ans: Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Ans: Yes.

Ans: Vinyl 25%
        CD 50% ---> Estimated 10% ripped to FLAC files
        SACD 5%       
        10% Audiophile FLAC purchased online 

Ans: Not a dealbreaker for me. IMHO, SACD is one of those exotic formats which is losing ground against audiophile FLAC readily available for sale online.

Ans: Depends on the price differential. If <200, I do not mind paying for the extra option.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 333

Quote:

As an addiditon, I have a bunch of 5.1 multichannel and Quad SACDs - so keep this in mind when developing a SACD/DSD solution - a straight 2 channel decoder isn't my cup of tea :)

BT

Not to detract from your affection for multi channel, but what good would that possibly do for headphone users? Best case scenario is to use software to downmix to stereo when sending out.

A home theater DAC would be a different story, but for 2 channel, I can't see any benefit??

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 333

Quote:
I've heard of SACD's, that's it.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.

-

I don't know anything about DSD, but if digital downloadable DSD files is a growing and superior format, it would be an important feature for me in a new DAC. 

I Don't know, say 200$. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 333
    Yes to both
2. Do you own any SACDs?
    Yes 
    1%, 30%, 69% (mostly FLAC/lossless)
    Not at this time
    No more than $150.00

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 333

Quote:
I know what it is about.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.

I mostly have redbook music.
My aim is to go fully computer-audio, so SACD/DSD format is a no-go for me.
Instead, I purchase hires music online (I have very few as of yet).

No, as explained above.

I would tolerate this feature at 0$ :)

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 333

Quote:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Heard of it. Never used it.
2. Do you own any SACDs? Nope.
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? N/A
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? Absolutely not.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? I wouldn't. It's not even a consideration for me.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No. Too small a catalogue to warrant the investment.  

N/A

Not really. I'd prefer a superior PCM implementation than have DSD onboard as well. 

$150-200 if I felt like experimenting. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 333
Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes.

Sacd - 2%
CD - 96%
Files - 2%

yes, but right now no money.  Near future i'm considering.

$300 - 500 range.  I was think about Schiit or cambridge or rega. yes i'ts $1000....

Thanks love your Asgard!

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 333
  1. Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
  1. No
  1. N/A
  1. No, if I want higher resolution it'll be from lossless purchases online.
  1. While I think it's good to have options, it is not one I would pay to have as I would not use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back