The "RSA" Shadow, a powerful pixy of an amp . . . New images. .
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #61 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shadow would be perfect for IEM's solely because of it's size and digital functionality. It sounds great- if your willing to shell out 450 clams or so, get it.

I can't say anything on the D10 route.

Regards,
Spencer D.

Is the $450 a guess on your part or has Ray hinted that its the price range he's aiming for?

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #62 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the $450 a guess on your part or has Ray hinted that its the price range he's aiming for?

i'd guess that's his guess
wink.gif
. i have reason to believe that Ray would love to get this unit out for less than that. he's still waiting on cases and their pricing. apparently the price of aluminum, as well as other components, keeps rising. i'd hazard a guess that it'll come in at ~15% less than the above price.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 184
The price will be somewhere less than 400 dollars. I asked Ray and the total cost of the cases, which are custom to his specifications, is not in so final price has not firmed up.

I can say that in listening to this that it is a joy. There are no caps in the signal path and the digital volume control seems to get totally out of the way of the sound. It is accurate on right and left balance and never changes one tiny bit as the volume is increased from minimal to the max. The JH13's really sing with it.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #64 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say that in listening to this that it is a joy. There are no caps in the signal path and the digital volume control seems to get totally out of the way of the sound. It is accurate on right and left balance and never changes one tiny bit as the volume is increased from minimal to the max. The JH13's really sing with it.

John, how does it sound compared to the P51 Mustang? I'd guess that they are pretty similar but if you hear differences how subtle or significant are they?

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #65 of 184
There may be a slight bit more detail with the Shadow, owing to the digital volume control and maybe a different signal path on the board. There are no DC blocking caps on the Shadow so you get a pretty pure signal.

I have been trying to figure out run time per charge. So far with the JH13's which draw more current than some IEM's I am over 60 hours! That is over a week of 8 hour a day listening and still going strong.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #66 of 184
Quote:

There may be a slight bit more detail with the Shadow, owing to the digital volume control and maybe a different signal path on the board. There are no DC blocking caps on the Shadow so you get a pretty pure signal.

Excellent.

Quote:

I have been trying to figure out run time per charge. So far with the JH13's which draw more current than some IEM's I am over 60 hours! That is over a week of 8 hour a day listening and still going strong.

Excellent again.

Thanks for the early impressions, John!

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #67 of 184
John, any idea of the input impedance on this thing?? the pico slim has a 10k pot, i'm hoping for a little higher from the shadow, that way the capacitence in my dock will suffice. otherwise I would be stuck with either one of my BG LODs or hobbling together a dock with BG or elna's bypassed with film caps. I have a 3.9uf duelund dock i'm building which is fine with nearly any amp; except those with 10k pots

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #68 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, any idea of the input impedance on this thing?? the pico slim has a 10k pot, i'm hoping for a little higher from the shadow, that way the capacitence in my dock will suffice. otherwise I would be stuck with either one of my BG LODs or hobbling together a dock with BG or elna's bypassed with film caps. I have a 3.9uf duelund dock i'm building which is fine with nearly any amp; except those with 10k pots

Ray Samuels

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #71 of 184
Ray, now just add a good quality bluetooth receiver to the shadow and make all iPhone users very happy
wink.gif

Jochen

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #72 of 184
Having listened to the Shadow more with the JH13's has shown to me, that it amplifies and does an excellent job of getting out of the way of the music. It has very fine transparency, dynamics and staging.

70 hours of running so far with no recharge. That is more than enough for me but I will keep going to see how long it will go. What is amazing is the amount of power you get, a small package and very long run time.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #74 of 184
They are pretty much of the same cloth. The sound is very close with a little more purity going to the Shadow. Purity meaning, as I mentioned above, the signal path is very, very clean and the digital volume control really seems to have no signature. Tiny package, great sound. It's all good. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back