The "RSA" Shadow, a powerful pixy of an amp . . . New images. .
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 184
I haven't had any problems with RF and the RSA amps and no, it doesn't have any crossfeed. Ray doesn't employ that in his designs.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by =Resonant_Rebel=-
I sat down- with the Sony R10 (ray's) and compared his P-51, Tomahawk, and Predator to the Shadow- and they do NOT compare.

"Do not compare" in what way?

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #33 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Do not compare" in what way?

My apologies my friend- I had edited my post a few seconds after it was posted. That was all re-worded then. Check it out.

Thanks,
Spencer

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #34 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to this amp (RSA Shadow) yesterday at the Kenosha Head-Fi meet. (posted here) and for being a newbie (have listened to most others by RSA) these are fantastic. The price tag with this piece of technology, however, is "acceptable".

I sat down- with the Sony R10 (ray's) and compared his P-51, Tomahawk, and Predator to the Shadow- and they compare and are very similar in sound. This amp, however, features new technology Ray has not put in a Portable. The volume dithers back to the lowest setting each time you turn it off, because it's digital- which might be a pain for those who will only use it on one rig and like a set volume- but makes sure you don't blow out your phones and ears when you plug a new set in. This will be small, sleek, and last for hours. The RSA Shadow will be very nice to have once it's in production!

PS- What I would like to see is a small (4x4mm) LCD that displays the current volume level, because it is digital. This would allow for a person to know the preferred volume level for each set- by number and not only by ear. Just a suggestion!
wink_face.gif

Thanks,

Spencer

Thanks for the observations Spencer. Looking forward to this amp. Not sure where you'd put that LED, and I sure wouldn't want anything that could pollute the audio signal, but I agree as to its utility.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #35 of 184
Ah, yes. I saw your comment before the edit. I was wondering what the differences are (more bass, less detail, house sound, etc...)

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #36 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, yes. I saw your comment before the edit. I was wondering what the differences are (more bass, less detail, house sound, etc...)

Well- to give you an idea, I definitely had more detail- only a tad more than the P-51. Also, you can feel a better range- the lows are lows and the highs are high. I listened to a couple of "Master" lossless files on the P-51 and the new Shadow (with the Sony R10's) and could hear a difference. Also, you don't lose the detail when the audio get light. The p-51 sounded like I was listening to a master file (which I was!) vs. the Shadow that sounded like I was sitting in the recording room.

All in all- I liked them, some tweeking still needs to be done with the user interfacing, but it sounds fantastic.
atsmile.gif
L3000.gif

Hope this helps Immtbiker (and nice to meet you),

Spencer D.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spencer,

A quick Q for you. Did you feel that the Shadow had less power than the P-51?

TIA,

Dane

Not at all! In fact- I believe it was Vice Versa. The shadow packs a punch when it comes to power. Yeah, it may be powered by ONE aftermarket iPod 3rd Gen Lith-Ion battery- but the system delivers. And, from what Ray told me- the Lith-Ion battery will last you a week at 8hrs of use per day, so about 60hrs.

Hope that answers your question, Dane- Nice to meet you.

Thanks,
Spencer D.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #39 of 184
It doesn't have less power than the 51. The Shadow drives the Ed. 9 with ease and does a good job with the HD650's. With the JH13's the combination is nothing short of excellent.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #41 of 184
At first I didn't like the fact that the volume returned to zero on the Shadow but I have to say I welcome it. It is easy with IEM's to accidently bump up the volume and this can be a nasty surprise. With the Shadow you save your ears and what is a second or two to bring the volume to where you want it vs having it at a point that causes extreme pain?

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #42 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first I didn't like the fact that the volume returned to zero on the Shadow but I have to say I welcome it. It is easy with IEM's to accidently bump up the volume and this can be a nasty surprise. With the Shadow you save your ears and what is a second or two to bring the volume to where you want it vs having it at a point that causes extreme pain?

What do you think of my suggestions of adding a small (4x4mm) screen displaying volume? So people know what volume is preferable to each rig they have.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #44 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think of my suggestions of adding a small (4x4mm) screen displaying volume? So people know what volume is preferable to each rig they have.

I don't find it that is difficult to arrive at for each phone. Though the power requirement would be minimal, there would be additional circuitry and then retooling etc. I don't think Ray would do it and I am not sure it is really needed. Just something else to go wrong but hey, ask Ray. :^)

I know that over a week I could hear a small change in the sound of the Shadow as more and more detail was creeping into the musical panorama. This will be a match made in IEM heaven.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #45 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find it that is difficult to arrive at for each phone. Though the power requirement would be minimal, there would be additional circuitry and then retooling etc. I don't think Ray would do it and I am not sure it is really needed. Just something else to go wrong but hey, ask Ray. :^)

I know that over a week I could hear a small change in the sound of the Shadow as more and more detail was creeping into the musical panorama. This will be a match made in IEM heaven.

Got that right, and I will be sure to ask him- It is another point of failure, but allows the user to know numbers instead of playing by ear. IDK, just a thought.

Thanks and nice meeting you Jamato,

Spencer D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back