The "RSA" Shadow, a powerful pixy of an amp . . . New images. .
Jul 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 184

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I am listening to the Shadow right now. This is a new board with the charging circuit (I was corrected by Ray that this was not the board at Can Jam). I had already pictured in my head that it would be little so I wasn't surprised when it arrived, I mean everything is getting smaller and smaller and . . .

I also received my JH13 Pro IEM's on Tuesday, which is pretty good timing to ascertain what the sound of the Shadow is like since I would speculate, many would use it with IEM's. Having said this I gotta add, it works well with my Ultrasone Ed. 9 and ESW 10JPN as well. This little tiny amp that charges from a USB, has an indicator light that goes out when it is fully charged, has a great little digital volume control I can tell already will be a whole lot of fun for music lovers and those who like to go light.

The sound reminds me of the P-51. Plenty of drive, great separation of voices and instruments and bass impact.

I find the Shadow and Mustang to be very close in sound. There may be a slight bit more air with the Mustang but further listening is needed. They both provide a nice wide soundstage with deep bass that is not one note but discernible as to placement and slight change in tone and character.

As I noted, there is no hiss with the Shadow and channel balance seems perfect from the minimum setting to the max I can listen to. I also get sound from far right and left that is out of head and not wrapped to right and left behind me but in front and in correct placement, which makes listening all that much more enjoyable.

Oh, and no hiss and no channel imbalance, none, spot on right and left at all volume levels. The amp has a set gain of 3.

The cost is $395.00 with an introductory price of $350 for the first 200 reservations of the amp.

DSC_5362.jpg

The final version of the Shadow will have the name placed up higher (not so close to the bottom) so it will be more balanced looking.

DSC_5357.jpg

DSC_5361.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know it was up for sale. Not at RSA yet anyway. Pictures? Cost?

This is the board from Can Jam. It isn't for sale yet but I thought it would be nice to know how it sounds with IEM's and to compare to the other portable RSA amps.

Edit: Correction this is not the board from Can Jam. This is the board that has the charging circuit and battery attached, which the Can Jam board didn't have.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 184
Can you offer any additional impressions on what the main sonic differences between the Shadow and Mustang?

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 184
I find the Shadow and Mustang to be very close in sound. There may be a slight bit more air with the Mustang but further listening is needed. They both provide a nice wide soundstage with deep bass that is not one note but discernible as to placement and slight change in tone and character.

The T3 holds up very well with a very slightly wider character to voice and instrument.

As I noted, there is no hiss with the Shadow and channel balance seems perfect. I also get sound from far right and left that is out of head and not wrapped to right and left behind me but in front and in correct placement, which makes listening all that much more enjoyable.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 184
Thanks for the heads-up John!

I know that they are different animals, but how to you rate the shadow, to the amp section of the D10?

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads-up John!

I know that they are different animals, but how to you rate the shadow, to the amp section of the D10?

I hadn't compared the two, tooo many amps. :^)

I plugged in my JH 13's to the D10, and noticed some hiss and then moved the gain switch to low, and almost no hiss at all, which is good. So how do they compare. The Shadow has a little more forward mids, which throws the voice out more and there is a little more focus on voice and possibly more focus in general, while the D10 throws a soundscape that sounds large.

Edit: the soundstage of the D10 is tightening up. I have had it off for some time and with some warm-up the focus is much better than it was. Remember my D10 has the Black Gate nonpolar caps.

I have to say that all these amps are getting to be top tier.

It must also be remembered that the D10 (yes I know you know this) has the option of many different opamps. I believe I have the stock setup in the D10 at this time.

Cymbals sound good on both with the right brassy sound rather than just sizzle. I hear a bit more hall sound on the Shadow.

The JH 13' are great and can really dissect the sound but at the same time are totally musical.

EDIT:

On further listening with the Shadow and the JH13's, what bass slam! Deep and with character. Well integrated and spine tingling. No collapsing of the sound field with this combo.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 184
Camping for a shootout for the Shadow, P51 and SR71A
icon10.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 184
oh
nice found this post!!
ummm
Jamato, would you think with my P51 in hand, is it still worthwhile to get a hold of a shadow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back