The "RSA" Shadow, a powerful pixy of an amp . . . New images. .
Jul 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #16 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh
nice found this post!!
ummm
Jamato, would you think with my P51 in hand, is it still worthwhile to get a hold of a shadow?

The sound of both is very close and I need more time but the form factor of the Shadow is great. Big sound out of something the size of a small matchbox.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 184
No chassis yet. I believe jamoto8 just has a naked board like we've seen in the other threads already.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound of both is very close and I need more time but the form factor of the Shadow is great. Big sound out of something the size of a small matchbox.

This and the other comparison info is great. I do look forward to further comments on the "air" comparison. I enjoy the sense of space delivered by my Mustang, but form factor--even as small as the Mustang is--is also important, especially with the JH-13 Pros making such a great statement for "constant portability."

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 184
The USB is only for charging right? If I understand correctly, it's not a DAC. Correct?

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 184
USB charging is a key attractor for me on this amp. I love my Mustang, and it holds a good charge, but if I get a bunch of small 1/2-day trips in a row, or just forget to recharge it after a few days, the sound dies a truly horrible death. And if you don't have the charger with you, well, you're SOL.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 184
The Mustang requires 5 volts also. It would seem a USB to the correct output adapter would be available. The size of the Shadow is also very appealing.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 184
Quote:

The Mustang requires 5 volts also. It would seem a USB to the correct output adapter would be available. The size of the Shadow is also very appealing.

More than once when I was passing by an electronics store, I have thought that to myself. Just gotta remember to have all the pieces parts with me sometime so I can make sure to get the right polarity plug.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #26 of 184
You make the plug whatever polarity you want when you wire it. The center pin is positive and the outer is ground.

Ray may have a reason for not using the USB to charge the Mustang. He would be the best source.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #27 of 184
Quote:

You make the plug whatever polarity you want when you wire it. The center pin is positive and the outer is ground.

Ray may have a reason for not using the USB to charge the Mustang. He would be the best source.

Agreed on both counts. But when I am in that electronics store, and I am looking for a lazy man's solution, I keep wishing I had that charger with me, or at least my amp [which I think has the polarity marked on it as well, no?], so that I can make sure I buy the right size. I have bought more wrong parts by not having some measurement, or original part with me, than I care to admit.
confused_face.gif

I'll ask Ray if there is any reason not to USB charge the Mustang.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #28 of 184
Yes the amp shows correct polarity with the center as positive. Sure you would have to have the charger or amp to make sure you have the right size of plug but that should be to hard to do, is it? :^) I have lots of extra parts also, it just seems to happen.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #29 of 184
I listened to this amp (RSA Shadow) yesterday at the Kenosha Head-Fi meet. (posted here) and for being a newbie (have listened to most others by RSA) these are fantastic. The price tag with this piece of technology, however, is "acceptable".

I sat down- with the Sony R10 (ray's) and compared his P-51, Tomahawk, and Predator to the Shadow- and they compare and are very similar in sound. This amp, however, features new technology Ray has not put in a Portable. The volume dithers back to the lowest setting each time you turn it off, because it's digital- which might be a pain for those who will only use it on one rig and like a set volume- but makes sure you don't blow out your phones and ears when you plug a new set in. This will be small, sleek, and last for hours. The RSA Shadow will be very nice to have once it's in production!

PS- What I would like to see is a small (4x4mm) LCD that displays the current volume level, because it is digital. This would allow for a person to know the preferred volume level for each set- by number and not only by ear. Just a suggestion!
wink_face.gif

Thanks,

Spencer

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #30 of 184
This is my first time researching portable amps, so forgive me if the following two questions have obvious answers...

1) Does anybody know if the Shadow will be shielded from cell-phone interference?
2) Do amps of this type usually feature any sort of crossfeed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back