The "RSA" Shadow, a powerful pixy of an amp . . . New images. .
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #77 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jamato8 how is the treble extension of the shadow. For comparison I like the extension of the P51 and the original SR71, however did not care much for the treble extension in the SR71A. Thanks.

It is much the same as the P51 with slightly more micro detail.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #78 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is much the same as the P51 with slightly more micro detail.

Does the volume control feel sturdy enough to hold up to pocket use for a long time?

And which can drive higher impedance phones? (I'm looking to get either the p 51 or the shadow, but I would want the p51 even if I do miss out on a bit of detail if it can better power future purchases. )

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #79 of 184
From my experience they both power phones the same. The volume control will be neatly recessed with a dish machined in the faceplate so it will be well protected and won't accidently change as a standard volume control can.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #80 of 184
I'm dyin' from lack of pictures already...!

...Must...see...amp...!
tongue.gif

-HK sends

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #81 of 184
wonder how this will compare to the Pico, vis a vis overall sonic qualities and soundstage when being used with higher end IEMs.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #82 of 184
Well with the JH13 Pro I got around 80 hours of use. With the power this amp delivers I find this really amazing.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #84 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wonder how this will compare to the Pico, vis a vis overall sonic qualities and soundstage when being used with higher end IEMs.

well we could have compared them at the NorCal meet buy due to an unforeseen issue Ray needed to bow out. Justin will be there with his Pico slim I'm not sure of Jamato will be coming though?

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #85 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well with the JH13 Pro I got around 80 hours of use. With the power this amp delivers I find this really amazing.

This goes beyond teasing to down right unfair!!!!! Ray! Wherefore art thou? And thy tiny amp????

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #87 of 184
5cm by 3.5cm wide and 13mm thick for the PCB. With the case figure about 3mm or so to each of the measurements.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #89 of 184
It will be in a dished area on the front panel of the amp, recessed. It will be easy to use but also not so easy to accidently change the volume. Since it will be more or less flush the form factor will actually be smaller than the typical amp with a knob for a volume control.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #90 of 184
As an update to listening impressions I noted this on the JH13 thread as well.

I am finding that the Shadow works very, very well with the JH13's. You get a deep resounding bass, that I do not get even on my modified iRiver when using just it as a player and amp. The iRiver modified is excellent sounding and is a pleasure with the 13's but I am surprised at the deeper bass from the Shadow, more separation and greater precision of local.

I know that some have stated that they don't hear much if any difference with amplification or not when using the JH13 Pro but frankly I do. It can be good or bad and is a tribute to how easy the JH13's are to drive but as with any fine driver, the better the amplification the better the sound, provided you have a good source to begin with. I use lossless, CD or WAV for my listening. Most of the time it is the optical out of the iRiver H140 or H120 (140 with a 120gb drive and the 120 with a 80gb drive) to the iBasso D10 with the line out of the iBasso, which provides the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back