The Review Tour of FiiO Q1 Mark II Apple MFi Certified DAC & Amp Starts Right Now.
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #136 of 197
Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate the fact that you don't want us to burn our gear!

I, for one, would be trying to better drive large headphones through the 2. 5mm out (220mW @ 32Ω) vs 75mW @ 32Ω for the 3.5mm SE port, which IMHO is a fenomenal difference. Also all the other specs of the balanced output honestly speak for themselves, it's clear that Fiio designed the unit around this output.

I really want to buy this unit based on features and design (versus my previous e17k) so that's why I'm trying to somehow make the 2.5mm port work for my unbalanced gear.

Thanks!

Intersting, can you link where you find this info.This perhaps explain some impressions I have with **** PT15 earbuds that sound way better with balanced output, and volume can go higher to, must try it more tough, but if its true that like 3 times more power? :confused:

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #137 of 197
@Nymphonomaniac exactly, I believe 75mW is a little bit underwhelming for any cans, be it IEM or larger cans.

can you link where you find this info

The info is found on the official website, each output has a section with the stated values: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/76/parameters

Which headphones are you trying to drive.

I'm trying to drive various over-ear headphones, mostly with 40mm drivers and ~40+ ohm impedance. From previous experience, sadly I cannot find the 75mW output satisfying, and I'm really considering this device in hopes of having the chance to get higher output for my cans. Buying an extra AMP and amplifying the line-out signal would defeat the purpose of having an all-in-one device that can do everything, much like the e17k does.

Thank you.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #138 of 197
@Nymphonomaniac exactly, I believe 75mW is a little bit underwhelming for any cans, be it IEM or larger cans.

The info is found on the official website, each output has a section with the stated values: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/76/parameters

I'm trying to drive various over-ear headphones, mostly with 40mm drivers and ~40+ ohm impedance. From previous experience, sadly I cannot find the 75mW output satisfying, and I'm really considering this device in hopes of having the chance to get higher output for my cans. Buying an extra AMP and amplifying the line-out signal would defeat the purpose of having an all-in-one device that can do everything, much like the e17k does.

Thank you.
Yes, what you write its true, it look like to have beein thinked for balanced output power finally, this is why I just use it with IEM that will benifit from extra Bass gain. Copy paste it here so everybody know what the specs are without having to search too much.
Must admit im confuse to how to use headphones with balanced....think I will have to search for 3.5 to 2.5 balanced adaptor now.

Headphone out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack)
Output Power 1 ≥112 mW(16Ω / THD+N<1%) Output Impedance <1.2Ω (32Ω loaded)
Output Power 2 ≥75mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%) Channel Separation ≥79 dB (1 kHz,AUX IN)
Output Power 3 ≥11 mW(300Ω / THD+N<1%) THD+N <0.002% (1 kHz, AUX IN)
<0.003% (1 kHz, USB IN)
Frequency Response 5 Hz~55 kHz(-3dB) Peak Output Voltage >4.4 Vp-p
SNR ≥116 dB (A-weighted, AUX IN)
≥109 dB (A-weighted, USB IN) Max. Output Current 150mA (For reference)
Gain -2.5dB (G=L)
3.2dB (G=H) Max. Input Level 3.4V
Balanced headphone out specifications (2.5mm TRRS headphone out jack)
Output Power 1 ≥240 mW(16Ω / THD+N<1%) Output Impedance <2Ω (32Ω loaded)
Output Power 2 ≥220 mW(32Ω /THD+N<1%) Channel Separation ≥93 dB (1 kHz,AUX IN)
Output Power 3 ≥45 mW(300Ω / THD+N<1%) THD+N <0.002% (1 kHz, AUX IN)
≤ 0.003% (1 kHz, USB IN)
Frequency Response 6 Hz~80kHz(-3dB) Peak Output Voltage >7.4 Vp-p
SNR ≥115 dB (A-weighted, AUX IN)
≥109 dB (A-weighted, USB IN) Max. Output Current 150 mA (For reference)
Gain 3.2dB (G=L)
9.1dB (G=H) Max. Input Level 3.4V

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #140 of 197
how is the dac on that ting, i dont care about the amp?
Pretty pretty nice if you ask me, it use Xmos as usb receiver and very enojoyable and clean sounding AK4452 DAC. Can play anything UP to 384Khz and DSD support too.
Don't need any driver on my WIndow 10 as well as on my Samsung J3, plug and play and enjoy.

Sound is quite clean and neutral with good dynamic, details and extension, not harsh, little little dark (in a good way), and if you want it more bassy the Bass gainis very well made and give some warmnest and body to whole sound to the cost of deepnest of imaging, wich is very good without Bass gain. I'm sincerly impress by this DAC performance, and with balanced sound is even more clean and separation even more better. If you plan it to use it with headphones, it should not be more than 32Ohm, if sound pressure is hign 64Ohm could do to.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #142 of 197
i want to use it as a dac only with my laptop, windows 8, now i am using dragonfly 1.2 and i want upgrade but not to expensive
Hum. Did not try this one, just check the DAC and sabre ESS9010 sure have a different soundsignature, surely a little colder and analytical but can't say either....what type of sound do you search, and what your iem or headphones you will use?

Listen right now with very easy to drive PMV A01 MK2 and its very very enjoyable,especially the fact that bass gain help with the bass it was lacking, but bass gain do not muffled mids (wich is somewhat a miracle). This IEM will tell me if the Fiio Q1 MK2 make any hiss cause there not forgiving, and its complete blackground.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #144 of 197
:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:
OKAY.
Ya got serious gear bro.

And a AMP. So not bothering about amping of Q1....

When I use it with my Ibasso BOA amp it sound even better and sound open with great imaging and instrument separation. I really think its a good bet for DAC himself....especially if you plan to perhaps use it with a phono to, time to time...as it have a very nice balanced out with more power, its very interesting for that too, if you don't plan to use any of this options, i'm a little confuse to suggest it to you, but as said, for sound himself its excellent. I kind of prefer it to Ibasso DX90 dac that use dual ESS9018, cause it can be too razor sharp some time, and mids are better with the Q1, but I still adore the DX90.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #146 of 197

Thank you.

Please just post names of the headphones. 40mm driver means nothing. 40 ohm without knowing the sensitivity means nothing. I think you'll find that unless you're trying to drive exotic headphones with really low sensitivity, then the Q1ii will more than adequately power them - and your quest for more power is mis-guided.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #147 of 197
Please just post names of the headphones.

Fair points.

I'm looking to drive primarily the MDR1ADAC which I use at work (I find the integrated dac/amp lacking volume, it's limited by European regulations), the sensitivity on these is 102 db/mw and impedance is 40 ohm @ 1khz. I'd also like to drive the DT770 250ohm I use at home but I know that might be a stretch @ 75mW.

Also, the spec sheet of the MDR1ADAC states a Power Handling Capacity of 1500 mW (IEC), so 20 times the power Q1II outputs on the 3.5mm :) (not sure if this is confirmed or not, but I drove them with the Fiio A3 and they were not distorting even at max volume (the A3 is rated 270mW @ 32 ohm)

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #148 of 197
Fair points.

I'm looking to drive primarily the MDR1ADAC which I use at work (I find the integrated dac/amp lacking volume, it's limited by European regulations), the sensitivity on these is 102 db/mw and impedance is 40 ohm @ 1khz. I'd also like to drive the DT770 250ohm I use at home but I know that might be a stretch @ 75mW.

Also, the spec sheet of the MDR1ADAC states a Power Handling Capacity of 1500 mW (IEC), so 20 times the power Q1II outputs on the 3.5mm :) (not sure if this is confirmed or not, but I drove them with the Fiio A3 and they were not distorting even at max volume (the A3 is rated 270mW @ 32 ohm)

Q1ii
Max output on SE = 1.5v VRMS, 150 mA, around 60 mW into 40 ohms

MDR1ADAC - 40ohm 102db:
Loudness / Voltage Needed / Current Needed / Power Needed
85 dB SPL 0.03 Vrms 0.75 mA 0.02 mW
100 dB SPL 0.16 Vrms 4.0 mA 0.64 mW
110 dB SPL 0.50 Vrms 12.5 mA 6.25 mW
115 dB SPL 0.89 Vrms 22.25 mA 19.8 mW
120 dB SPL 1.59 Vrms 39.75 mA 63.2 mW

It will drive them beyond the pain barrier

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Q1ii
Max output on SE = 1.5v VRMS, 150 mA, around 15 mW into 250 ohms

DT770 - 250ohm 96db:
Loudness / Voltage Needed / Current Needed / Power Needed
85 dB SPL 0.14 Vrms 0.56 mA 0.08 mW
100 dB SPL 0.79 Vrms 3.16 mA 2.50 mW
110 dB SPL 2.51 Vrms 10.04 mA 25.20 mW
115 dB SPL 4.46 Vrms 17.84 mA 79.57 mW
120 dB SPL 7.93 Vrms 31.72 mA 251.54 mW

Q1ii will get them beyond 100 dB SPL, so it depends on how loud you listen. I average 65-75 dB so it would power them with no issues. If you listen loud, you'll need a more powerful amp.

Paul

BTW - that spec of 1500 mW is theoretically how much power before you start melting the drivers. it has nothing to do with power required.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #149 of 197
Just another general thought. Most people on these boards seem to think their headphones require far more power than they actually do. Don't get sucked in. Crunch the numbers. Often you can spend a lot less than you really think you have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back