The Review Tour of FiiO Q1 Mark II Apple MFi Certified DAC & Amp Starts Right Now.
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #151 of 197

Q1ii
Max output on SE = 1.5v VRMS, 150 mA, around 60 mW into 40 ohms

MDR1ADAC - 40ohm 102db:
Loudness / Voltage Needed / Current Needed / Power Needed
85 dB SPL 0.03 Vrms 0.75 mA 0.02 mW
100 dB SPL 0.16 Vrms 4.0 mA 0.64 mW
110 dB SPL 0.50 Vrms 12.5 mA 6.25 mW
115 dB SPL 0.89 Vrms 22.25 mA 19.8 mW
120 dB SPL 1.59 Vrms 39.75 mA 63.2 mW

It will drive them beyond the pain barrier

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Q1ii
Max output on SE = 1.5v VRMS, 150 mA, around 15 mW into 250 ohms

DT770 - 250ohm 96db:
Loudness / Voltage Needed / Current Needed / Power Needed
85 dB SPL 0.14 Vrms 0.56 mA 0.08 mW
100 dB SPL 0.79 Vrms 3.16 mA 2.50 mW
110 dB SPL 2.51 Vrms 10.04 mA 25.20 mW
115 dB SPL 4.46 Vrms 17.84 mA 79.57 mW
120 dB SPL 7.93 Vrms 31.72 mA 251.54 mW

Q1ii will get them beyond 100 dB SPL, so it depends on how loud you listen. I average 65-75 dB so it would power them with no issues. If you listen loud, you'll need a more powerful amp.

Paul

BTW - that spec of 1500 mW is theoretically how much power before you start melting the drivers. it has nothing to do with power required.

Interesting data, thanks for taking the time to perform all these calculations!

I'll be sure to take my headphones with me and go to a showroom and listen to this device, and I'll try to do a side by side with the e17k.

Also, in your opinion, from a FR perspective, do you think there will be major differences in the overall sound between the e17k's upper limit of 20khz and Q1MII's 55khz?

Thanks again for all your replies!

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #152 of 197
No. Humans hear between 20Hz and 20 KHz. And our limits decrease as we age. I’m 50 and my hearing now tops out at about 14 KHz. Specs are specs - if you were a bat 55KHz might make a difference. You’re not - so I wouldn’t worry about it :wink:

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #153 of 197
BTW there is a difference in tonality between the E17K and Q1ii. E17K is ruler flat. Q1ii has a bit of high frequency roll off (presumably the DAC filters). It’s not enough to matter - and both devices sound very good. The Q1ii is just a little warmer tonally than the E17K. A lot of people seem to prefer that.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #155 of 197
I went to a showroom and tried both. I decided to go with the Q1MkII taking into consideration a few aspects:

- Portability - it's much slimmer and rounder than the e17k
- IEM drivability - It successfully drove a few IEMs I threw at it (none balanced sadly, I've yet to purchase any balanced headphones as I did not see the need for balanced audio) Huge plus for the L/H gain possibility.
- Circumaural headphones drivability - it successfuly drove my MDR-1ADACs to a reasonable level. True, the e17k drove them way better power-wise, but it was not a significant gain in order to sacrifice portability and get this instead of the mkII.
- Bass implementation - I very much like the bass implementation on this device, it's exactly the level of bass I need when I want to listen to bassy tunes. (I found the bass setting to be better and more powerful on the e17k, but the one on the MkII was satisfactory enough to go with it)
- Full compatibility with my Galaxy S8+ via a sony micro-usb to usb type-c
From a sonic standpoint I did not have time to test the differences between the MkII and the E17K because I simply lacked the time - I only test-listened to them for 1hr during my visit. But I did found the MkII to be overall warmer (treble roll-of??)

Other considerations:

I can't believe how small the device is! I thought it to be a little bigger, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see it's very portable.
I found a 2.5trrs F to 3.5 trs m adapter in the showroom, but not the opposite I need to drive single ended headphones through the bal out. I'm starting to think it's not at all possible to do it.
PC compatibility and first playback is flawless. Works both with and without the Fiio drivers (although I have them installed, I prefer to override whatever possible on the audio route and that includes the crappy Windows audio handling).
DSD playback works flawlessly - although, how do I light up the DSD LED?? :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #156 of 197
I went to a showroom and tried both. I decided to go with the Q1MkII taking into consideration a few aspects:

- Portability - it's much slimmer and rounder than the e17k
- IEM drivability - It successfully drove a few IEMs I threw at it (none balanced sadly, I've yet to purchase any balanced headphones as I did not see the need for balanced audio) Huge plus for the L/H gain possibility.
- Circumaural headphones drivability - it successfuly drove my MDR-1ADACs to a reasonable level. True, the e17k drove them way better power-wise, but it was not a significant gain in order to sacrifice portability and get this instead of the mkII.
- Bass implementation - I very much like the bass implementation on this device, it's exactly the level of bass I need when I want to listen to bassy tunes. (I found the bass setting to be better and more powerful on the e17k, but the one on the MkII was satisfactory enough to go with it)
- Full compatibility with my Galaxy S8+ via a sony micro-usb to usb type-c
From a sonic standpoint I did not have time to test the differences between the MkII and the E17K because I simply lacked the time - I only test-listened to them for 1hr during my visit. But I did found the MkII to be overall warmer (treble roll-of??)

Other considerations:

I can't believe how small the device is! I thought it to be a little bigger, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see it's very portable.
I found a 2.5trrs F to 3.5 trs m adapter in the showroom, but not the opposite I need to drive single ended headphones through the bal out. I'm starting to think it's not at all possible to do it.
PC compatibility and first playback is flawless. Works both with and without the Fiio drivers (although I have them installed, I prefer to override whatever possible on the audio route and that includes the crappy Windows audio handling).
DSD playback works flawlessly - although, how do I light up the DSD LED?? :)

i think you made the right call

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #157 of 197
i think you made the right call
I'm liking the device so far, I hope I did :)

I managed to light up the DSD led through Foobar and the needed components.
Now I'm trying Tidal's Masters streaming and it seems Passthrough MQA works, I checked the "Passthrough MQA option" and it seems to work fine, no glitches - I'm not sure it's officially supported by Fiio.
Weird: The device is named "FiiO Q1" just like the predecessor.
Also, I was able to max out the volume on the Sony MDRs using a stack made of the MKII and the iPod classic 5.5th gen (volume set at 0 db). No distortion from the headphones.

I'm looking into a balanced set of IEMs - did anyone here try the MkII with Fiio's own F9 balanced edition?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #158 of 197
It was discussed balance earphone can use adapters for single ended use safely while going the other way may be unsafe and abandones the benefit of balance, assuming it exist, the benefit I mean. Adapters do exists.

Anyone tried using Q1 mkii as a dac with a dap that supports usb transport?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #160 of 197
Well. for one the balanced out on this device offers triple output power and double the frequency response compared to SE out, so that's a benefit I'd go for honestly :)

It offers more power yes - which is handy if you have hard to drive cans which would benefit. There is zero benefit if your IEMs / headphones can already be driven sufficiently by the SE headphone out.

And the frequency thing is a misnomer. You can only hear (if you have perfect hearing) ~20 Hz to 20 kHz, So while on paper you might measure higher ultra frequencies - in reality, you can't hear them.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #163 of 197
Guys, so if a DAC is mainly going to sit at home with me attached to my laptop I feel something like Meridian Explorer 2 or Dragonfly Black would be more suitable for me than the FiiO Q1 (2nd gen). Am I right?

I currently have the K1.

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #164 of 197
That very much depends on the features you want. If you prefer to have volume control on the device, access to a hardware bass boost, gain control, balanced and native DSD, go with the Q1ii. If none of those is important, go with the others.

Personally I see the Q1ii offering more features, which makes up for the size difference. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back