The perfect headphones = Selling ALL my gear and going back to speakers ...
Aug 18, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #61 of 70
This is probably considered heresy in a headphone forum, but I think that even a budget speaker and amp setup ($1,000ish) puts out better sound than even the best of headphones. As detailed as headphones are, they just don't match up to the excitement and realism that a good pair of speakers can deliver. Personally, I like having both.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #62 of 70

Quote:
That's true to an extent, but there are things that $20K+ speakers can do that $5K speakers just can't. MBL Radialstrahlers for example can't be done on the cheap.

Maybe, maybe not.  If I wanted the omnipolar sound, I'd probably knock together a pair of DIY plasma tweeters for a few hundred for the top end, add ribbons or AMTs for the mids (probably $300-$500), and use a couple of servo-controlled open baffle dipole subs for the low end.  It'd take some tweaking and integration, but you'd get the top-end that only plasma has, great mids and a tight low end.  It could be pulled off affordably.

I'm also putting together Linkwitz' Orion3, which runs about $300 for the boards/kit, $400 for parts, $1,800 for the drivers, and maybe $100 for the cabinets (DIY MDF).  Add another $200-$300 for other stuff, and you can knock them off for about $3,000.  I have everything but the cabinets, but will make those when my shop is ready in a few months.  Even the amps aren't bad - I'll use older Adcom units that are about $200 per speaker.  So, probably closer to $3,500 for everything.

I haven't heard the Orion3 yet, but The Audio Critic loved them.  So did 6 moons.  I don't think I'll be missing much for not dropping $20,000 or more.

Quote:
This is probably considered heresy in a headphone forum, but I think that even a budget speaker and amp setup ($1,000ish) puts out better sound than even the best of headphones. As detailed as headphones are, they just don't match up to the excitement and realism that a good pair of speakers can deliver. Personally, I like having both.

Absolutely.  A pair of Magnepan MMGs and an old receiver comes to mind.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #63 of 70
I don't want to contraddict who says that ribbons aren't real. But to me they are most real. While soft dome tweeters are not real (actually they are, but in a different way).
Why do I say this? Because music is recorded very near to the source (microphone very near). People say that ribbons don't sound like the music they hear in live sounds. But they sit very far.
So to me, most soft domes are magic, and ribbons aren't magic, they are just neutral. Ribbons have such a magic, that lets you hear music in a way the somehow resembles what you hear from a distance (like 7m ie), but with the microfone at 1m.
This is just my opinion, i don't say soft domes tweeters are rubbish, but i'm a musician, and so i prefer to hear the music like the one i produce: very close to the source.
And don't confuse this with some harsh tweeters.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #64 of 70

Quote:
MacedonianHero, the prices are stratospheric on some speakers. But if you do your homework, buy used and possibly some DIY, the sweet spot for speakers is around $1,000-$5,000. After that, diminishing returns kicks in hard. A lot of money goes to furniture-grade finishes, advertising budgets and profits. Anyone can assemble a good speaker rig for the same or less than high-end headphones. My main speakers and tube amp, together, cost less than the HD-800 and I like them better.

No doubt...I've heard some very nice Dynaudio (under $5K used), Totems (under $1K), Paradigm, Energy (I know I just listed 3 Canadian speaker companies
smile.gif
) and they can all sound very, very good. I've heard some DIY and also very impressive too. But then the room acoustics, amping, pre-amp, etc... the costs can go up quite a bit.

Throw in the fact that my home theater shuts down at 8pm to a virtual whisper when the kids go to bed....it's onto headphones for me. I too prefer speakers...no doubt. When the wife and kids aren't home (like visiting the in-laws in Winnipeg)...it's all speakers all the time (well about 90% of the time). I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #65 of 70
I admit the situation is the same for me, cans is used for full blast listening without any visits from aggrevated neighbours.
Now for speakers, I cannot stand the muffled sound of Magnepans. And honestly im suprised those speakers have any kind of support at all.

Now ribbons have been mentioned here, for treble reproduction that is among the best I know of. But right now and here I still are most happy for the Elac built Jet tweeters. 
So adressing the OP, do yourself a favour and avoid domes at all costs.

As for me, well I am looking into more models of hardly known tube headphone amps from China, this is my new obsession. :D

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #66 of 70
Now i´m waiting for the upcoming transmission audio true ribbon headphones. They had planned to release them by the end of this year. But now it seems like they won´t make it in time, and they´ve changed the news so that it shows they´re going to release the headphones during 2011. I really cannot wait anymore
triportsad.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #68 of 70
Oh, NO DOUBT! I am only getting into headphones for mixing purposes. Nothing matches the power of a room full of good speakers, subs, and amps. Headphones may be detailed, but they don't put the music in your chest, and that's where I like it. I couldn't imagine spending the money for a pair of T1s and an amp to run them properly. I hate spending the money on just the 880s and an amp, but I'll do it so I can have accurate mixes. Other than that, it's speakers and subs all the way!

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #70 of 70
And they got a ribbon on top. So those are potentially the kind of speakers I would enjoy listening to. At a price of 14k dolares, im less likely a buyer though.

Now Cya mentioned ribbon headphones, I must say 'cya' and be off to a search to find out about those. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back