The perfect headphones = Selling ALL my gear and going back to speakers ...
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

downsize

Member of the Trade
Well ... I tried. I really enjoyed the journey too, but I am just not ever going to enjoy headphones as much as speakers. It's not like I didn't do it up right either !  I have one of the best solid state amps made, and a pair of T1s ...all with a great source, but in the end there just isn't enough excitement in it for me.
        But I did gain from the experience. I have a better appreciation of finite resolution and detailed highs. This will help me to go back to the drawing board when designing my new speakers. But for now, I am selling it all and moving on. Big thanks to everyone, and good luck !

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 70
ever demo the SVS Realizer system? - even @ ~US$3K it can be cheaper than speakers, good sized, treated room

http://www.smyth-research.com/

you can "collect rooms" - calibrate in friends/dealers/studios high end rooms - anywhere you can get ~1/2 hr access to a sound system

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 70
I can see where you're coming from. I only got into headphones because of moving house frequently. I really enjoy what headphones can do within their limitations. Speakers have limitations too. I just prefer the compromises with a good speaker system in the right room to those with 'phones. Unfortunately, for the immediate future my headphone system will better my speakers due to room shape and neighbours.

Personally, I find headphones more exciting than speakers they just don't give that sense of being enveloped by the music. That can be accounted for by my taste in equipment - Grado 'phones and BBC monitor type loudspeakers.

Enjoy those speakers.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 70
Good luck to you and you gave it a try.  You mentioned that you're going to design speakers - are you going to DIY them?  More information would interest a few of us around here!

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 70
Agree, what kind of speakers are you going to build ? I've taken this route myself and pretty happy with the results, but listening to good speakers didn't make me hate heapdhone listening thankfully. 

Just my 2 cents, whatever design your building, invest some dollars on a measurement microphone and try digital room correction with DRC, it really does wonders and it's pretty easy to implement.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 70
downsize going back to up-size...

good luck!
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 70
Actually, I have been designing and building speakers for 23 yrs.  This pair will be a 2.5 way floor standing design, with time aligned front baffle, and using Accuton 7" woofers with the Seas AirCirc tweeters ... 

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 70
I hope you post pics of your new speakers and listening room...acoustically treated I'll guess.

I'm one who enjoys both headphones and speakers equally.It depends on my mood and type of music as to which I choose for the night.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 70
Curious, did you ever spend any time with the Omega 2s? If so, what were your thoughts? For me, the O2s are the only phones good enough to make me not miss speakers.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 70

Quote:
I hope you post pics of your new speakers and listening room...acoustically treated I'll guess.

I'm one who enjoys both headphones and speakers equally.It depends on my mood and type of music as to which I choose for the night.

As a relative newcomer to the world of headphones, I would like to know what types of music you think are better for cans over speakers?

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 70
With the age of my kids: 6 and 2, I'll be stuck here for a long time. I have a nice home theater and really would love to use it past 8pm. But with their bedtime at 8pm....headphones it is.

Good luck Downsize!

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 70

Quote:

As a relative newcomer to the world of headphones, I would like to know what types of music you think are better for cans over speakers?

Electronic music such as Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Ozric Tentacles, Juno Reactor,etc...these sound great on speakers too but the often psychedelic effect is greater on a HP for me. With my 2.1 speaker system, the bass is great but often too intense unless I'm the only person in my house. With my JVC HA-DX1000 I still get insane bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back