The perfect headphones = Selling ALL my gear and going back to speakers ...
Aug 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #46 of 70
I guess you could try some K1000s. Admittedly I've had all of 10 minutes with them under meet conditions but to me they sounded more like speakers than any headphone I've heard. I'd probably go with speakers too if I had the money but being in college I can't really afford what I have or have the room for a decent setup. I'd love to see what your diy speakers turn out. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #47 of 70
I too didn't like Isone pro although I bought it but eventually ended up running the music through freesurround a couple of times to get a speaker like experience with my beyer 990/600s. I am a speaker first person and want my headphones to sound like speakers. I cannot afford the K1000 but found this setup to work great. It's not exactly like my quads with all tube gear but it's a fine substitute when my wife's home.

Has anyone else tried processing twice through freesurround?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #48 of 70

Quote:
Now that you mention it, it is kind of strange that no-one has mated the Accuton drivers with a ribbon, because I have never heard a faster midrange than Accuton.

Aside from that line source, the only other one I can think of is the Vaughan Cabernet, which appears to use a LCY twin ribbon tweeter.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #52 of 70

Quote:
Very correct sir !  I will spending considerably more. The four 7" midrange drivers alone will cost me $1800.

eek.gif

That's more than my HD800s or T1s.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #53 of 70

Quote:

@ MacedonianHero - Moving Pictures is an AWESOME album!  If you haven't seen the recently released documentary on Rush on DVD, check it out - it's fantastic!

You mean "Beyond the Lighted Stage"...own it on Blu Ray and watched it twice.
beerchug.gif

My new avatar has gotten more compliments by Rush fans (especially American fans). I am actually quite surprised. Sure they're popular here in Canada and especially Toronto (their hometown). Now why aren't they in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Canadian prejudice...lol?

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #55 of 70

Quote:
If you think that's bad, Accuton's .75" diamond tweeter costs $2900. Each. A pair of them is R10 money.

Oh I know....scary.

I fell in love with a pair of Wilson speakers until I found out that the interconnects in the system went for $50K. The speakers were a bargain at only $65K in comparison.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #56 of 70
Marten uses the Accuton diamond tweeter in their $295,000 Coltrane supreme flagship, along with a 2" diamond midrange and a boatload of ceramic midranges and woofers. I don't think the diamond midrange is commercially available, but it must be hideously expensive.

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #57 of 70
Exactly!

And that's why I love head-fi! :)

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #58 of 70
MacedonianHero, the prices are stratospheric on some speakers. But if you do your homework, buy used and possibly some DIY, the sweet spot for speakers is around $1,000-$5,000. After that, diminishing returns kicks in hard. A lot of money goes to furniture-grade finishes, advertising budgets and profits. Anyone can assemble a good speaker rig for the same or less than high-end headphones. My main speakers and tube amp, together, cost less than the HD-800 and I like them better.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #59 of 70

Quote:
But if you do your homework, buy used and possibly some DIY, the sweet spot for speakers is around $1,000-$5,000. After that, diminishing returns kicks in hard. A lot of money goes to furniture-grade finishes, advertising budgets and profits.

That's true to an extent, but there are things that $20K+ speakers can do that $5K speakers just can't. MBL Radialstrahlers for example can't be done on the cheap. While we're on the subject of crazy expensive speakers, have you guys seen the new Sonus Faber Fenice? I've never been the biggest SF fan, but these are like no SF speakers I've ever seen. They have what's basically a mini-monitor attached inside a cavity in the rear baffle, and you can adjust its position with a knob. Soooo cool!

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #60 of 70

Quote:
Three things I like better about speakers:

1. Full body bass experience.
2. Realistic soundstage.
3. You can crank it up so damn loud and not feel like you are going to blow out your eardrums.

I wish I could enjoy my speakers more, but with a wife and two kids - its a rare treat to be alone.  I can listen when they are home but my wife tells me to turn it down, even during movies!!

I feel your pain 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back