The perfect headphones = Selling ALL my gear and going back to speakers ...
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 70

Quote:
 With my JVC HA-DX1000 I still get insane bass response.

True...of the headphones I've heard, the best that represent a subwoofer would be both the DX1000 and D7000s. They do compete with my 12" subwoofer in my home theater...except your whole body doesn't feel the bass the same way.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 70

I'm with ya MacedonianHero!  Mine are 6, 3 1/2, and 1 1/2.  On the weekends I sometimes get some downtime to listen to my speakers in the afternoon.  I have to admit I prefer speaker listening, yet I don't feel like I'm really compromising by using headphones when I have to. 

Quote:
With the age of my kids: 6 and 2, I'll be stuck here for a long time. I have a nice home theater and really would love to use it past 8pm. But with their bedtime at 8pm....headphones it is.

Good luck Downsize!

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 70

Quote:
I'm with ya MacedonianHero!  Mine are 6, 3 1/2, and 1 1/2.  On the weekends I sometimes get some downtime to listen to my speakers in the afternoon.  I have to admit I prefer speaker listening, yet I don't feel like I'm really compromising by using headphones when I have to. 

Good to know I'm not the only one.
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 70
if any of you lived alone, would you still use headphones on at least a semi-regular basis? My reasoning behind this and my previous question is because I wanted to see if any of you see advantages of headphones over speakers. Examples: To hear more of a soundstage, seperation and intimacy. Or are your kids/housemates the only reason you use headphones?

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 70

Quote:
if any of you lived alone, would you still use headphones on at least a semi-regular basis? My reasoning behind this and my previous question is because I wanted to see if any of you see advantages of headphones over speakers. Example: To hear more of a soundstage/seperation. Or are your kids/hous emates the only reason you use headphones?

When my wife and kids aren't home, it's pretty much just speakers for me. I do love my headphones and associated gear, but I do find myself listening to speakers more when I can. Maybe it's just because it's the only time that I can...

Headphones are more intimate and you do pick up things in recordings that can be missed on speakers. But as good as the sound stage is on the HD800s, they can't compete with a 5.1 SACD through my home theater.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 70
i guess i'm still in the honeymoon phase with head-fi.

i haven't listened to speakers, other than in my car, for about the last 5 or 6 months.

i guess i need to sit down and enjoy a 5.1 album, just to remind myself what it's like.
but, thing is, i'm afraid my theatre system is bound to sound flat when compared to T1s powered by a WA6. 
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 70
A few people have asked me why I bother to listen to headphones when I have decent floorstanding speakers. Doesn't make sense to them because I live alone, and therefore dont need privacy from others.They view full sized cans as something to use only out of convenience to not bother others.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #25 of 70
I find the intimacy and detail retrieval better with headphones and as a result I may never leave this hobby. As well, you don't have to worry about room acoustics with headphones.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 70

Electronic music such as Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Ozric Tentacles, Juno Reactor,etc...these sound great on speakers too but the often psychedelic effect is greater on a HP for me. With my 2.1 speaker system, the bass is great but often too intense unless I'm the only person in my house. With my JVC HA-DX1000 I still get insane bass response.

Another Shpongle fan! :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 70

Quote:
I find the intimacy and detail retrieval better with headphones and as a result I may never leave this hobby. As well, you don't have to worry about room acoustics with headphones.

Well .... that kind of depends on the system, and especially the speakers. I can promise you the speakers I am building will probably dig out even more detail than a pair of HD800s or T1s will .... Those Accuton drivers are stupidly insane, and are usually found in $50,000 and up loudspeakers.

Room acoustics though .... well, that's what nearfield listening is for
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 70

Quote:
Well .... that kind of depends on the system, and especially the speakers. I can promise you the speakers I am building will probably dig out even more detail than a pair of HD800s or T1s will .... Those Accuton drivers are stupidly insane, and are usually found in $50,000 and up loudspeakers.

Try using a RAAL or Raven aluminum ribbon or the Mundorf air motion transformer paired with the Accutons. I know you're a big fan of the AirCirc, but for digging out detail, domes are just no match for ribbons and AMTs.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 70
I would also add that in very small spaces such as my office, headphones are untouchable. Small rooms are very difficult in terms of acoustics, and when there's only a few feet between the speakers, they can't take the edge in soundstaging. I do a lot of work at my desk listening to my O2s, and no near-field monitor can come within a mile of what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back