The PENON official thread
Jun 24, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #10,111 of 13,741
I was being a weirdo yesterday and listened to the Serial out the Qudelix in NOS mode. It made female vocals melt around you, which felt nice in the 90º sun out skateboarding.

I will say these respond a lot to amping, out of the same Qudelix the bass just doesn't slam with the 3.5mm out. The Apple dongle can barely drive them, I'm at 95% volume to get even close to loud. I noticed the same thing straight outta the Xbox & PS5 controller vs the MCTH for gaming on a few FPS. Dynamics and bass just dissipate,
Tougher to hear steps on Six Siege. They still sound pleasant though.

Have to buy a nicer 2.5mm cable that's a little lighter, the Vortex 2.5mm cable is wack and heavy. Not that many options with shorter pin heads like my ol BTG cable.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #10,113 of 13,741
I was being a weirdo yesterday and listened to the Serial out the Qudelix in NOS mode. It made female vocals melt around you, which felt nice in the 90º sun out skateboarding.

I will say these respond a lot to amping, out of the same Qudelix the bass just doesn't slam with the 3.5mm out. The Apple dongle can barely drive them, I'm at 95% volume to get even close to loud. I noticed the same thing straight outta the Xbox & PS5 controller vs the MCTH for gaming on a few FPS. Dynamics and bass just dissipate,
Tougher to hear steps on Six Siege. They still sound pleasant though.

Have to buy a nicer 2.5mm cable that's a little lighter, the Vortex 2.5mm cable is wack and heavy. Not that many options with shorter pin heads like my ol BTG cable.
Serial is a special set. It has to be handled as such. Potent source with good components under the hood.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #10,114 of 13,741
Penon Serial scale with what you give it, more than most hybrids or BA sets out there.
Even with more and more gear coming, Serial stay as one of the favourites by me.

DSCF2912.jpg

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #10,115 of 13,741
Penon Serial scale with what you give it, more than most hybrids or BA sets out there.
Even with more and more gear coming, Serial stay as one of the favourites by me.

DSCF2912.jpg
Good to hear that it hasn't been dethrone by the Neo 5 lol

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #10,116 of 13,741
Good to hear that it hasn't been dethrone by the Neo 5 lol
Both are great in my book, I still think I prefer Serial. It brings something special and unique.
But give me two weeks and maybe it has turned around, I often go into a mode where I only listen to one set for a week or more.

Both are great IMO, but I have from before Aure(great hybrid) and EST50(great tribrid).
The Serial give something more different than Neo 5 when looking at what I own.
NEO 5 still rocks and is really good.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #10,118 of 13,741
I always thought my first Penon IEM would be the Serial... But it seems it will be the FAN2!
You should take serial
I need advices on wich cables and tips are the ones to go with the FAN2, knowing that I tend to prefer:
Separation/layering
Mids
Treble (no harshness)
Bass (rumble and details)
The os133 is already a good cable but the space open the wide stage, has better separation, and is veeery dynamic and also play microdynamics and is textured. Mids is already well presented in fan2. I would skip S2 I don't like it and with fan2 it will dry subbass than are not too much in fan2 and give tiring highs( fan2 has a deep hole in 15kiloherz u will always feel them not enough to give the presence in highs so it's better not try to increase highs) . I don't know if it is possible to add purple plug to Space and to get it better.
G4 could be also good but you won't have interchangable plugs.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #10,123 of 13,741
You should take serial

The os133 is already a good cable but the space open the wide stage, has better separation, and is veeery dynamic and also play microdynamics and is textured. Mids is already well presented in fan2. I would skip S2 I don't like it and with fan2 it will dry subbass than are not too much in fan2 and give tiring highs( fan2 has a deep hole in 15kiloherz u will always feel them not enough to give the presence in highs so it's better not try to increase highs) . I don't know if it is possible to add purple plug to Space and to get it better.
G4 could be also good but you won't have interchangable plugs.
Thanks for the suggestions 👍.
I don't need the interchangeable plugs... What cable are you using with the FAN?

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #10,124 of 13,741
So I've just recently been seeing mention of the 'purple plug'... So I went to Penon's site, and lo and behold, there it is, a 4.4 plug all by itself. Does this 4.4 plug really affect sound in a noticeable way? I may need to get one in and play around with it on a couple different cables / IEMs.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #10,125 of 13,741
Synergy. Man that means soooo much in this hobby. Sold my AUR Aure and had extra cables to switch around so I put my TOTL XINHS silver/heavy gold plated cable on the Serial and also tried the stock tips from the Aure, which I love, and BOOM- sonic bliss. So much better resolution, bass still full, still the same "analog" vibe but more refined, fuller , richer, bigger. HUGE stage.
I love this hobby :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back